Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Pat Robertson endorses Giuliani (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540620)

JackWhite 11-07-2007 03:57 PM

Pat Robertson endorses Giuliani

In a bit of a surprise, Pat Robertson has endorsed Giuliani. The big question: Will this give Guiliani more crediblity and votes among Christian conservatives, or will this turn off a lot of moderate to liberal Republicans?

Reading a few stories on this endorsement, a common theme emerged: Israel. Giuliani has always been very pro-Israel, and among people like Robertson, that is by far the most important issue. I read they cemented their relationship on a plane ride while talking about their respective commitment to Israel. This is one of the reasons people on the establishment Christian right don't like people like Ron Paul. He doesn't believe in foreign intervetion, including military and financial support of Israel. For some, that issue will always trump any other concern.

Taso 11-07-2007 04:55 PM

Re: Pat Robertson endorses Giuliani

Why do Christians support Israel? Israel = jewish, what am I missing?

Scary_Tiger 11-07-2007 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause they look more like us than those dirty Arabs.

j555 11-07-2007 05:03 PM

Robertson had to choose who he hated more, Gays or Arabs and he chose Arabs.

gamblerNC1 11-07-2007 05:08 PM

Back room politics. Let's make a deal

Moneyline 11-07-2007 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Powerful factions of evangelical Christians support Israeli "settlers" and are strongly against giving Israeli land to Palestinians. The evangelicals believe that by allowing Israel to regain all of the "Holy Land" it will allow the Biblical prophecies of Armageddon, rapture, and the end of the world.

From what I understand, this disturbing worldview is not shared by the majority of evangelicals. However, the most powerful evangelical leaders like Robertson and Hagee both believe and preach it.

bills217 11-07-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I understand, this disturbing worldview is not shared by the majority of evangelicals.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. As a fairly educated evangelical, I have never understood any of this nonsense.

If the prophecies are valid, THEY WILL HAPPEN REGARDLESS, OBVIOUSLY. Idiots. It is just so comical to me that these people supposedly acknowledge God to be the Creator of the known universe, but in practice it's like they think He's basically useless. "If Hillary gets elected, the prophecies won't come true! God could not have been expecting this! OH NOEZ!"

There is a famous quote from a Rep. in the state House in Tennessee about why he voted against putting up the Ten Commandments on public property: "If God wanted the Ten Commandments in the courthouse, He wouldn't need the Tennessee General Assembly's help."

bills217 11-07-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hagee

[/ QUOTE ]

John Hagee is just dangerous - he certainly isn't MY leader.

Read the criticism of him on wiki for taking a seven-figure salary as head of a non-profit, which is dramatically more than leaders of similar non-profits, and then refusing to comment on it.

Hopey 11-07-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Robertson had to choose who he hated more, Gays or Arabs and he chose Arabs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't he hate them equally?

AzDesertRat 11-07-2007 06:14 PM

Freedom is about authority?