Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Who is the worst GM is pro sports history? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=558386)

Riverman 12-01-2007 12:27 AM

Who is the worst GM is pro sports history?

Obviously inspired by Isiah. Matt Millen comes to mind. Others?

Fonkey123 12-01-2007 12:32 AM

Re: Who is the worst GM is pro sports history?

I'm young, but I can't imagine there being anyone worse than isiah.

Billy Bibbit 12-01-2007 12:33 AM

Whoever was responsible for the Herschel Walker trade. Google says his name is Mike Lynn.

kidcolin 12-01-2007 12:33 AM

I opened to say either Millen or Isiah.

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2007 12:35 AM

How can we forget Kevin McHale?

JackWhite 12-01-2007 12:36 AM

Elgin Baylor

Rubeskies 12-01-2007 12:36 AM

Steve Philips. Small sample size but if he was given a couple more season I know he could've been the worst ever.

Billy Bibbit 12-01-2007 12:37 AM

IMO drafting Kevin Garnett is enough to make McHale not the worst ever.

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2007 12:40 AM

Isaiah has a very impressive draft history.

kidcolin 12-01-2007 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can we forget Kevin McHale?

[/ QUOTE ]

as bad as he is, especially with the Joe Smith trade debacle and failing to build a successful franchise around one of the top 3 players of the past decade, at least he's in a decent situation now. He's got a young squad with some decent talent playing hard night in night out.

Put it this way: a young confident GM-to-be would love taking over for McHale and use that team as a building block. No one wants Isiah's job right now. That team can't be salvaged for 4-5 years.

kidcolin 12-01-2007 12:41 AM

actually I guess Elgin Baylor, acquiring Cassell and Brand aside, needs to be considered.

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2007 12:42 AM

21 years of futility is hard to top

Veecee 12-01-2007 12:58 AM

Rob Babcock is a contender.

Traded Vince Carter for scraps, and drafted Rafael Araujo before Igoudala and other good players. Traded for Rafer Alston who got into a fistfight with Sam Mitchell.

Although he did bring Calderon to T.O.

MikeyPatriot 12-01-2007 12:59 AM

Hawk Harrelson /thread

Golden_Rhino 12-01-2007 01:02 AM

Any GM of the Leafs not named Cliff Fletcher.

Veecee 12-01-2007 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, Cliff "Who needs prospects?" Fletcher

prohornblower 12-01-2007 01:05 AM

Tim Purpura GM of the Astros was absolutely atrocious.

He traded cost-controlled players with professional experience: Willy Taveras, Jason Hirsh, and Taylor Buchholz for an over-paid, injured Jason Jennings. Because he dropped the ball on Pettitte and made a desperate move for a "#2 guy."

He also enjoys keeping guys like Morgan Ensberg, Brad Lidge, and Chris Burke until they have zero trade-value, then trading them or attempting to shop them.

The dude has like the complete opposite understanding of value, as Webster and humanity define it.

PM me when he dies in a grease fire, plz.

Golden_Rhino 12-01-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, Cliff "Who needs prospects?" Fletcher

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't need prospects at the time. The Leafs were in a position to outspend other teams for free agents. Plus, they suck so hard at drafting, they may as well trade their picks away. Their last good first round pick was Vincent Damphousse in 1986.

Riverman 12-01-2007 01:12 AM

I know he isn't the "worst ever," but Brian Cashman has been pretty terrible.

Pavano
Kevin Brown
Giambi
Proctor

etc.

bills217 12-01-2007 01:15 AM

Jim Bowden has not been very good, although I don't think he is up there with Isiah/Millen (in that order).

bottomset 12-01-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO drafting Kevin Garnett is enough to make McHale not the worst ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it counts against him, how can you draft a player as dominant as KG and then deliberately sabotage his career untill he's in his 12th yr

tuq 12-01-2007 01:18 AM

If you're assigning the balance of responsibility of the GM to the draft, then I guess Elgin Baylor should be in the conversation. However, it's hard for him to work for an employer who historically refuses to pay for talent and/or resign core players. I dunno, I think even Jerry West would have a hard time in that role.

Rubeskies 12-01-2007 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know he isn't the "worst ever," but Brian Cashman has been pretty terrible.

Pavano
Kevin Brown
Giambi
Proctor

etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pavano: Pwned
Kevin Brown: Pwned
Giambi: Eh, he had some really good seasons and even his bad seasons he has an OBP of around .400. He really understood OBP back in 2001. Even knowing what we know now, Giambi was not a terrible signing. For another team where his salary would be a team killer maybe, but not the Yanks.
Proctor: ?? I don't understand?

Jered Wright was a really bad signing. But people forget about it because it's been overshadowed by Pavano.

yjbrewer 12-01-2007 01:21 AM

SFOBV Isiah!!!!!!!!!

BowToYourSensei 12-01-2007 01:25 AM

garry st. jean and it's not even close

Triumph36 12-01-2007 01:27 AM

it's not even close to isiah thomas.

Golden_Rhino 12-01-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, he wasn't terrible with the Raptors. He wasn't good, but he wasn't terrible.

Triumph36 12-01-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, he wasn't terrible with the Raptors. He wasn't good, but he wasn't terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i'm saying. i'm saying there are WAY worse gms. when i get done w/ the pokers i'll explain further.

oh and rofl at brian cashman being one of the worst

btmagnetw 12-01-2007 01:33 AM

if its not mchale, then whoever ranks worse than him needs to be shot.

SuperUberBob 12-01-2007 01:37 AM

Harry Frazee

Triumph36 12-01-2007 02:04 AM

Pretty sure it's Mike Milbury -

Milbury traded Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe to the Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden - Linden was decent, McCabe and Bertuzzi went on to be All-Star level players.

Traded Bryan Berard at 22 for Felix Potvin, an average goalie - Berard was on his way to become a solid offensive dman when he suffered a career altering fluke eye injury. Potvin was basically dumped a year or two later.

Traded Roberto Luongo AND Olli Jokinen for Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish - Parrish is a league average forward, Kvasha's out of the league, Jokinen and Luongo are near HOF level players

After that trade, drafted Rick Dipietro over Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik

Traded the 2nd overall pick (Jason Spezza) AND Zdeno Chara for Alexei Yashin, then signed Yashin to a 10 year deal which was just bought out after 6 years - Spezza is now a superstar and Chara a top 10 defender in the league, Yashin now plays in Russia.

it's not even close. I can see Millen, or McHale (dunno much about what McHale did), or Milbury - but it's NOT isiah thomas.

Veecee 12-01-2007 02:08 AM

LOL @ the Cashman mention.

Avalanche333 12-01-2007 02:14 AM

Hey, don't hate on Potvin. But I had totally forgotten how useless Milbury was. The Luongo and Yashin stuff are so LOL it's unbelievable. I really don't think anyone's as close to Milbury in this department.

Edit: Also, WTF? He selected Chris Nilan (who managed to get 42 penalty minutes in one game) to be an all-star in 1991 over Kirk Muller. Crazy.

thedeezy 12-01-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Milbury traded Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe to the Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden - Linden was decent, McCabe and Bertuzzi went on to be All-Star level players.

Traded Bryan Berard at 22 for Felix Potvin, an average goalie - Berard was on his way to become a solid offensive dman when he suffered a career altering fluke eye injury. Potvin was basically dumped a year or two later.

Traded Roberto Luongo AND Olli Jokinen for Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish - Parrish is a league average forward, Kvasha's out of the league, Jokinen and Luongo are near HOF level players

Traded the 2nd overall pick (Jason Spezza) AND Zdeno Chara for Alexei Yashin, then signed Yashin to a 10 year deal which was just bought out after 6 years - Spezza is now a superstar and Chara a top 10 defender in the league, Yashin now plays in Russia.

it's not even close. I can see Millen, or McHale (dunno much about what McHale did), or Milbury - but it's NOT isiah thomas.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg this makes me love Ken Holland so much! Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the late rounds

Golden_Rhino 12-01-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a strong case. Drafting DiPietro (who is a great goalie), when he already had Luongo (an even greater goalie) is one of those things I still don't understand.

He can have Bryan McCabe back though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

AngusThermopyle 12-01-2007 02:31 AM

A Niners fan nominates Joe Thomas.

kyleb 12-01-2007 02:35 AM

I feel like NYK-era Isiah Thomas can't be topped, but Kevin McHale, wow.

Francis_MH 12-01-2007 02:39 AM

ED WADE easily, god he was terrible with the phillies and he is terrible with the astros now.

kyleb 12-01-2007 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ED WADE easily, god he was terrible with the phillies and he is terrible with the astros now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, while I'm inclined to agree with you, it's too small of a sample size and not enough damage done.

Triumph36 12-01-2007 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like NYK-era Isiah Thomas can't be topped, but Kevin McHale, wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness to Isiah - he has drafted well, and he came into an awful situation. He just made that situation ten times more awful.

edit - i'm not a knicks fan really.