Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Freewill (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=543539)

Xylem 11-11-2007 11:04 AM

Freewill

I have the right answer and can prove it as much as a man can prove that 2+2 = 4 but whats your opinions?

Nielsio 11-11-2007 11:44 AM

Re: Freewill

wat

Subfallen 11-11-2007 11:50 AM

I define free will as the belief that, although I just made choice C, I could have made choice !C.

In other words, I define "free will" as an experiential label, not a metaphysical property. This definition solves the "problem" of free will by converting it to a tautological psychologism.

oe39 11-11-2007 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I define free will as the belief that, although I just made choice C, I could have made choice !C.

In other words, I define "free will" as an experiential label, not a metaphysical property. This definition solves the "problem" of free will by converting it to a tautological psychologism.

[/ QUOTE ]

take yourself less seriously?

Subfallen 11-11-2007 12:24 PM

Um, what level are you on? I don't get it.

It's just clearer to write "I define" than "Some people define". Sorry if that offended your delicate sensibilities.

Do you have any comments on the actual topic?

AWoodside 11-11-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this approach. I've always said that whether we have free will or not, either way it's not a testable hypothesis. In this paradigm the illusion of free will is just as good as actual free will, so it's best not to fret about it.

FortunaMaximus 11-11-2007 01:04 PM

He's just telling you to loosen up a bit. It's not a bad thing. Probably wasn't leveling you.

Free will does exist, and the C/!C situation is essentially accurate.

Choices affect choices though. And in a larger system of choices approaching infinity, you can begin to see that it has to exist or there is a static ennui in which nothing happens.

Even in situations where an individual has absolute control over the other, free will exists, even if it is in the hands of the individual in control.

mickeyg13 11-11-2007 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the right answer and can prove it as much as a man can prove that 2+2 = 4 but whats your opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shall we have a contest then? Someone from the board will prove that 2+2=4, and you shall prove your position on free will. We will then see whose proof is better, or if it is in fact a tie.

I'm a big proponent of free will, but I recognize that it's not possible to prove one way or the other, and you should recognize that also. I'd love to see you try to prove it though.

GoodCallYouWin 11-11-2007 03:29 PM

What could possibly give anyone free will?

oe39 11-11-2007 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you have any comments on the actual topic?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes