Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How long should a poker session be? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=153103)

MattsTheMan 07-03-2006 01:27 PM

How long should a poker session be?

Got vacation going on so there is a lot of poker. I’ve been thinking of how long a poker session should be lately. I had a bad run a month ago or so and at that time I could play 4h without any break.

I did read about this on some poker site and Antonius said who must be one of the better online Pkr players were saying about 2 Hours. I’ve tried 2 Hours and that seems to be pretty good. But today I was sitting at a table where a person had vpip 88 and had made about 6 buyins and reraised a raise with K8o in EP.

In a case like that I am not going to quit until I have the person stacked. How long sessions do you play? I think it is hard to concentrate for 5h in a row.

jedi 07-03-2006 01:36 PM

Re: How long should a poker session be?

Your lifetime is one big poker session, but that's probably not the answer you're looking for.

It depends on your endurance, concentration, and ability to avoid tilt. If you can't concentrate for 5 hours in a row, just play 4. If you can't concentrate for 2 hours, just play 1.

Oh, and put this in a different forum.

BDaws 07-03-2006 01:37 PM

I find after an hour my play starts to worsen a little bit, so I usually play for around 50-90 minutes. I have played much longer sessions though.

xGREGORx 07-03-2006 02:40 PM

ride your winning sessions as long as possible...
- you're running good and your opponents can see that and are less likely to get involved with you (ie. you can push them around more without the goods)
- your confidence is high which will help you make good decisions when tough ones arise

be more inclinded to cut short your losing sessions...
- you're running bad and opponents can see that and are more likely to get involved with you and put you to tough tests
- your confidence is lower and thus may make some bad decisions
- don't keep playing just to get back to even

always quit when...
-you're getting tired
-don't feel like playing anymore
-too many distractions
-etc....

BalugaWhale 07-03-2006 02:49 PM

Just play as long as its +EV to do so. When I get tired/my tables are full of 2p2ers/I am distracted by other things, its generally not that +EV to play.

mudbuddha 07-03-2006 02:55 PM

until you go on tilt

SamuraiPlatypus 07-03-2006 02:56 PM

also, if you have a lot of money on the table and are not comfortable playing that deep (to the point where it is affecting your play negatively), feel free to end the session.

ajmargarine 07-03-2006 02:56 PM

...until you collapse from exhaustion.

orange 07-03-2006 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
all day holdem challenge. what a great laugh...last time i read one of those reports, the guy passed out from exhaustion.

bent96 07-03-2006 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
all day holdem challenge. what a great laugh...last time i read one of those reports, the guy passed out from exhaustion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like 24 hours all day? I'm pretty sure I could do that in a snap barring no other conditions.