Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Lloyd Carr Retiring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544431)

damaniac 11-20-2007 05:40 PM

Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

I'm enjoying rampant uninformed media speculation. Stoops and Meyer being trotted out is always fun (don't get me wrong--they'd be great, but they ain't coming). Not sure why Bielema's name is mentioned; nothing wrong with him but I don't see him as in the top tier of candidates, it's an in-conference move, plus he's kind of a meathead. Also, the columns about how the timing makes hiring Miles impossible are stupid. No problem waiting a few weeks (including a dead period in recruiting) for your top choice. We'll lose a couple recruits anyway; BFD, it always happens, there's no 5* OMG can't miss guy on there.

Please dear god not Kirk Ferentz. He's not awful or anything but he's a B candidate and very very boring. I'm not one of those hysterical people who thinks you can only win running the spread or something, but some adaptability on O would be nice.

DVaut1 11-20-2007 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm enjoying rampant uninformed media speculation. Stoops and Meyer being trotted out is always fun (don't get me wrong--they'd be great, but they ain't coming).

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear Spurrier's name in rampant-internet-rumor-mongering about the Texas A&M job -- can we throw him in for the Michigan job too? Spurrier has a 0% of being hired by the Michigan AD (probably less than 0%), and we don't probably don't have the golf facilities and warm weather to keep him happy, but let's throw his name out there for [censored] and giggles, too.

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure why Bielema's name is mentioned; nothing wrong with him but I don't see him as in the top tier of candidates, it's an in-conference move, plus he's kind of a meathead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure I'll anger the Michigan Hating Gods by saying this, who will likely spite us by having Wisconsin go on a long winning streak in our annual matchup, but I'm not that impressed by Bielema. Yes, they went 11-1 last year and won their bowl game impressively, but it was a soft schedule that contained 4 out-of-conference cup-cakes and no OSU. They had an equally soft OOC schedule this year. They did beat us, but we're pretty mediocre.

But 21-4 is a pretty good start, so I suppose I understand the speculation. If they go to the Capital One bowl and beat another good SEC team like Georgia or Tennessee, then I guess I'll start eating crow. I'm in the "skeptical" camp right now, though. Sorry if I've jinxed Michigan now for saying that.

[ QUOTE ]
Please dear god not Kirk Ferentz. He's not awful or anything but he's a B candidate and very very boring. I'm not one of those hysterical people who thinks you can only win running the spread or something, but some adaptability on O would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I consider Ferentz one slight step ahead of DeBord on my "worst nightmare" candidates. It's not that Ferentz coached teams have boring offenses -- they were pretty potent when Banks and Clark and Gallery and Fred Russel were there; it's just that Ferentz coached teams frequently lose to vastly inferior opponents (see losing to Iowa State and Western Michigan this year, losing to Northwestern 3 straight years before 2007, etc). To use a Mike Valenti euphemism, his teams seem to pucker alot more than they ought to. I have to think there's some Iowa radio host broadcasting from a cornfield somewhere screaming Pucker Pucker Pucker after last Saturday. I don't want Ferentz anywhere near the Michigan program.

Thank goodness, I haven't heard DeBord's name once as a serious candidate. If there's one silver lining to this season, it's that it probably sealed the fate of Lloyd's assistants and their chances at taking over for him.

What? 11-20-2007 06:22 PM

I'm suprised Bodog have Ron English and Bielema so high

Actual God 11-20-2007 06:45 PM

i want to hear from people who know: is les miles really dumb? what about that sick fake field goal backwards flip? that was amazing.

no one could be a dumber game-coach than lloyd. it must be pretty easy to gameplan against a team that runs "stretch left" on 90% of their rushing plays. oh yeah, and throw the [censored] ball over the middle you [censored].

ikestoys 11-20-2007 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no one could be a dumber game-coach than lloyd. it must be pretty easy to gameplan against a team that runs "stretch left" on 90% of their rushing plays.

[/ QUOTE ]
they were really effective up the middle and to the right imo

lol i hate michigan fans like you... absolutely hate them. Second guessing, whiny and generally not having any idea what they are talking about.

DVaut1 11-20-2007 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Second guessing, whiny and generally not having any idea what they are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because this coaching staff never left anything second guess the past 6 seasons?

Go Google the quotes from the after the Rose Bowl last year. USC players were openly mocking how predictable our offense was and how easy we are to stop. The same thing after Appalachian State -- "predictable" was the one word heard most frequently when they described Michigan. No one disagrees with this. Lloyd Carr Michigan teams ARE easy to "gameplan" against because there's no gameplan necessary. Self-admittedly, the program doesn't value deception, they value execution. The philosophy over the last few years has been: take the best players you can find and mold them into 'mistake-free', executing robots.

I won't address "whining", but it's a completely valid criticism to say we were ridiculously easy to gameplan against. That's almost by design. They threw in wrinkles against the Notre Dame's and Ohio State's of the world, but the basic gameplan on the offensive side of the ball has been pretty much the same for a while now, from DeBord to Parrish to Malone and then back to DeBord again.

ikestoys 11-20-2007 07:07 PM

DVuat -

what you said is different, we clearly are pretty predictable, but the reason we run left a lot is because of jake long and the right side of our line blows.

As for some of the classic in vogue criticisms...
-Bench Henne, put in Mallet (I heard this in the stands all [censored] day, really pissed me off)
-Bench Brady, put in Henson! (lolz)
-[censored] Braylon, he always drops the ball

thats just off the top of my head.

damaniac 11-20-2007 07:35 PM

One of you guys needs to change your avatar; it looks like you are arguing with yourself.

There are many valid criticisms of the Carr regime, but I understand ike's view that there are certainly many baseless results-oriented criticisms too. The people behind me at games this year, for example, ragged on Morgan Trent despite Trent being very solid this year and us not having anyone to replace him with if he did suck.

Annulus 11-20-2007 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../71120011/1048

Bodoglife.com has posted odds on who the next Michigan coach will be:

Les Miles, LSU coach -- 2/1
Kirk Ferentz, Iowa coach -- 9/2
Mike Trgovac, Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator -- 5/1
Brian Kelly, Cincinnati coach and former Central Michigan and Grand Valley coach -- 6/1
Ron English, U-M defensive coordinator -- 6/1
Bret Bielema, Wisconsin coach -- 7/1
Bobby Petrino, Atlanta Falcons coach -- 10/1
Jon Gruden, Tampa Bay Bucs coach -- 10/1
Jim Harbaugh, Stanford coach and U-M alum -- 10/1
Bill Cowher, ex-Pittsburgh Steelers coach -- 15/1
Field (all others) -- 2/1

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprised WVU coach is not on that list. Also, there is no way Harbaugh could ever coach at Michigan after his comments? Why is he still being mentioned, are people that stupid. Not to say that he wouln't be the perfect canidate otherwise.

And, Im reading how Deborg (Off. coor.) would deserve an interview and would be considered, nfw. The guy imho is one of the first guys who needs to be kicked out of Ann Arbor.

damaniac 11-20-2007 08:41 PM

Bigger issue with Harbaugh is that he's been a coach at a scholarship-giving university for 10/11 games. He's not yet proven he's good at that. Did very well at SDU but no idea on how he'll do at Stanford. 3 wins at Stanford given their talent and schedule isn't necessarily bad but it's not really good either; he needs a few years. Considering him because of the USC win would be Notre Dame-like.

I don't know that he can make up for those comments, either, but even if he hadn't made them hiring him would be awful.