Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Schneids Video: Bluff and Loose Turn Call? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=464317)

gaming_mouse 07-30-2007 03:39 AM

Schneids Video: Bluff and Loose Turn Call?

30/60 Stars (Schneids Video 2, ~2:45)

BTN raises, Schneids calls BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Schneids c/r, guy calls. How often do you make this bluff on this kind of board?

Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Schneids bets, guy raises, Schneids calls

This call confused me a bit. Even with implied odds, we don't have enough for our gutshot. Our pair outs might be good sometimes, but if we are calling down when we hit them we have to factor in reverse-implied odds, so.....

I did the math and, assuming that we average 1.5 bets profit when we hit our gutshot on the river, and assuming that we plan to cd on a river J or 9, our J/9 outs need to be good about 20% of the time to break even.

20% seems somewhat reasonable, but it is certainly close and the call might be losing.

So... are there strong meta-game reasons for making a call like this? Other considerations?

J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

River goes check, check, but I assume Schneids is calling a bet here?

PokerBob 07-30-2007 04:17 AM

Re: Schneids Video: Bluff and Loose Turn Call?

[ QUOTE ]
30/60 Stars (Schneids Video 2, ~2:45)

BTN raises, Schneids calls BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Schneids c/r, guy calls. How often do you make this bluff on this kind of board?

[/ QUOTE ]

imo this is 100% villain dependent. if villain will look at this board and think "there are no draws here, so mike must have a pair", then i'd c/r just about always.

milesdyson 07-30-2007 05:40 AM

"River goes check, check, but I assume Schneids is calling a bet here?"

i wouldn't assume that.

he's getting a little over 7 to 1 on the turn, right? i think implied odds are a bit better than 1.5 to be honest. you can't really discount the Td much because when it isn't good it is more likely you have an additional four pair outs (obviously would be even "more true" had the flop been 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]).

it all depends on the frequency w/ which he's fsdring a hand against which you have the additional outs. if he's never doing that it looks -ev at a glance. if he has these hands say 10% of the time, the additional value to the turn call is (arbitrarily assuming 4 additional outs) 0.1*(4/46)*7bb = 0.06bb. that is tiny. is this math wrong? because now it looks fairly unrealistic to think this happens enough to make up the missing odds...

DeathDonkey 07-30-2007 06:10 AM

This is a great board for villain to float in pos. and raise any turn card, therefore Schneids has to give himself some pair outs. I am surprised he didn't 3 bet the turn though, I think that's the play.

-DeathDonkey

dangerfish 07-30-2007 10:46 AM

Don't think this was player specific at all. I know he mentions that early on he wanted to establish and aggressive non-folding image. Mission accomplished here. The turn is close, knowing the villian I'm not surprised he raised here planning to check behind so 3 bettig the turn would have been sick and iced that image he was looking for if he happened to get caught.

baronzeus 07-30-2007 11:12 AM

this isnt standard by any means, i do this a lot but i also check call a lot. i fold approximately never on the flop

gaming_mouse 07-30-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a great board for villain to float in pos. and raise any turn card, therefore Schneids has to give himself some pair outs. I am surprised he didn't 3 bet the turn though, I think that's the play.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Expecting that villain folds outright?

EDIT: DD, don't you think this turn card could be inspiring a number of semi bluffs that really hurt your fold equity?

gaming_mouse 07-30-2007 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

it all depends on the frequency w/ which he's fsdring a hand against which you have the additional outs. if he's never doing that it looks -ev at a glance. if he has these hands say 10% of the time, the additional value to the turn call is (arbitrarily assuming 4 additional outs) 0.1*(4/46)*7bb = 0.06bb. that is tiny. is this math wrong? because now it looks fairly unrealistic to think this happens enough to make up the missing odds...

[/ QUOTE ]

miles,

you may be right here. if villain is fsd'ing 10% of the time we are breaking even:

.8*-1 + .08*9 + .12*(.1*7.5) = .01

gaming_mouse 07-30-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this isnt standard by any means, i do this a lot but i also check call a lot. i fold approximately never on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

bz,

you c/c the flop planning to do what?

thanks,
gm

daryn 07-30-2007 11:22 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...se_as_a_GI.png