Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Chicago suburbs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=495013)

poker1O1 09-06-2007 12:59 PM

Chicago suburbs

I'll be lookin to move to one soon. Don't know much about them, but can't yet afford the rich northern ones. Here's the criteria:
1. awesome school district
2. access to train to commute
3. reasonably priced housing (for a Chi suburb)

So far Naperville seems pretty cool, friend of mine mentioned St. Charles last night. Gogo.

pokerbobo 09-06-2007 01:11 PM

Re: Chicago suburbs

Naperville is a nice town (reasonable priced housing is ???? there)

If you can afford Naperville.... you can also afford Libertyville on the north, or even a step down from that ...Gurnee.

Palatine is an option, possibly Schaumburg.

the crabs 09-06-2007 01:16 PM

Northbrook is good. The Metra runs right through the middle of the damn place. Great schools and alot of good people. Some are those rich snobby [censored] that yell at me and my buddies for playing football in the street. But I would live there in a heartbeat.

oddjob 09-06-2007 01:20 PM

i grew up in elmhurst. train runs right through it, and 290 (the eisenhower) runs through it as well, which will take you downtown.

schools? well i'm not a complete moran.

i read something, a year ago, about the avg home prices being $750,000 but this seems retardedly high to me.

course it's been 15 years since i've lived there.

solids 09-06-2007 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Naperville is a nice town (reasonable priced housing is ???? there)

If you can afford Naperville.... you can also afford Libertyville on the north, or even a step down from that ...Gurnee.

Palatine is an option, possibly Schaumburg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Naperville is a very nice town with a great school district. In fact, IIRC, it was recently rated as the second best city to raise a family in the US. But, due to it's reputation, it is quite expensive.

bigbootch 09-06-2007 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be lookin to move to one soon. Don't know much about them, but can't yet afford the rich northern ones. Here's the criteria:
1. awesome school district
2. access to train to commute
3. reasonably priced housing (for a Chi suburb)

So far Naperville seems pretty cool, friend of mine mentioned St. Charles last night. Gogo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some more detail would help. What is your price range for the home? How many children do you have - will you be looking for a big 4-bedroom house or maybe a 2-bedroom condo would do? And you will be commuting downtown, I assume? Any other preferences? (e.g. you prefer the western suburbs over the northern ones)

-bigbootch

poker1O1 09-06-2007 01:23 PM

Awesome. I'm really just lookin for a nice place to raise a family. Lisle (Naperville's neighbor) was ranked like 20th in the last "best places to live" article. Of course it's only like 22K people though.

spechell edd 09-06-2007 01:27 PM

I wouldn't suggest Naperville, anyone from there automatically gains the attitude they are better than anyone from the surrounding cities, very snobby. Lisle would be a good choice, Four Lakes would be a nice choice for low cost. Lots of stuff to do in the neighborhood (snowboarding, tennis, volleyball, etc and a sweet lodge) and everyone seems really friendly. Also Batavia/Geneva are pretty nice areas. Chicago suburbs really are just a great place to live.

poker1O1 09-06-2007 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your price range for the home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't really have a definite one, but 250-300Kish I guess

[ QUOTE ]
How many children do you have - will you be looking for a big 4-bedroom house or maybe a 2-bedroom condo would do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wont have children for another ~3 years, so 1-2 bedroom starting out would be fine, but would like to move into 4 bedroom in ~3 years (by then my price range will have risen of course)

[ QUOTE ]
And you will be commuting downtown, I assume? Any other preferences? (e.g. you prefer the western suburbs over the northern ones)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, I'll most likely be trainin it. As far as preference, all I know is that north is pricy and south is shootings, so somewhere in the middle???

pokah5 09-06-2007 01:32 PM

just move to the city... there are condos going up everywhere you look.