Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Make Brown Rice Taste Good (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=461541)

Grey 07-26-2007 05:15 PM

Make Brown Rice Taste Good

How do you do it? I've been mixing it with either grey poupon or hot wing sauce, but I'm starting to get pretty sick of those two.

lozen 07-26-2007 05:16 PM

Re: Make Brown Rice Taste Good

I am just aeting instant white and dont mind it and will give brown a try soon. Plain Jane and will see

kyleb 07-26-2007 05:28 PM

Clearly white rice is much tastier than brown rice, but that's not the question.

shemp 07-26-2007 05:34 PM

I use chicken (or turkey) stock for part of the water. Onions and mushrooms are good additions. Part of it is integrating it with other dishes.

SmileyEH 07-26-2007 05:38 PM

wtf brown rice tastes good. just put in some butter and salt while it's cooking.

shemp 07-26-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf brown rice tastes good. just put in some butter and salt while it's cooking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like brown rice too, but this is kind of funny. "X tastes great! Just had huge flavor A and B to it!" Also, some folks want to avoid butter and sodium...

Jetboy2 07-26-2007 05:52 PM

Plain brown rice is a bit boring.

Just add herbs/spices. Such as, garlic (either fresh or powdered), basil, oregano, thyme, coriander, cumin, cayenne, chili powder, etc. Or a combination.

You can experiment to find a good tasting meal. Eating healthy does not mean boring or tasteless.

jb

SmileyEH 07-26-2007 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like brown rice too, but this is kind of funny. "X tastes great! Just had huge flavor A and B to it!" Also, some folks want to avoid butter and sodium...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol people that avoid butter and sodium to the point of not adding a teaspoun and a couple dashes respectively, inevitably fail at dieting.

shemp 07-26-2007 06:09 PM

I rarely use either butter or salt in my cooking. When can I look forward to the inevitable taking hold? The main point was that you liked the rice itself, but named two fundamental and intense flavorings-- which is kind of amusing, if you think about it? Secondly, you might look to flavorings that are less likely to be on the short list of things that a doctor might want someone to avoid. Or not. There's certainly nothing wrong with suggesting salt and butter-- I think it's a perfectly good suggestion.

Thremp 07-26-2007 06:58 PM

Mix it with white. Its what I do. Usually 1-1.