Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   November "I FORGOT MY MANTRA" Low Content chit-chat thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=537581)

diebitter 11-16-2007 11:15 AM

Re: November \"I FORGOT MY MANTRA\" Low Content chit-chat thread

was it this:

[ QUOTE ]

Vegas is pretty the opposite of everywhere else in the world, so can't really comment on America per se. Americans on the other hand, I really really liked. I found them friendly and chatty, and pleasant people through and through. Talked to guys and gals from all over at the poker table or at shows or clubs, and it was GREAT!. Even this one guy who had been at the table for 24 hours solid was a throughly nice chap (New Yawker).

Biggest difference was you guys are way ahead in service industry. And you have some amazingly fat people around who could charge entrance tickets for seeing how much they can eat at a free breakfast buffet, so amazing and revolting it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChipWrecked 11-16-2007 11:18 AM

lolz. The post was in a thread about Americans vs. the world, something along that common theme in OOT. You mentioned that on a trip to Vegas you found Yanks very open and friendly etc., then made that crack about watching fatties attacking a free breakfast buffet like....

Oh well. Shouldn't have brought it up I guess, but I lol'd hard at the time.

ChipWrecked 11-16-2007 11:19 AM

You da man.

KDawg 11-16-2007 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
species means different types of animals.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], mutants of the world unite [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Blarg 11-16-2007 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"I'm fat because I don't want to get raped!!!"

Wow...I'm speechless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. That's a new one. I never even considered that, putting on weight so I wouldn't get raped. That quote kind of makes women look stupid.

Has anyone noticed that Blarg is a little obsessed with physical appearance? Hm, maybe all men share his feelings and he's just brave enough to say it out loud. Blarg, why does it offend you so if women are a little over weight? I couldn't care less myself if men are a few pounds over weight. What's it to me? Does it just gross you out? If so I would caution you to never ever go to Cincinnati's Beach water park. You would not believe the number of obese women who strut around in a swimming suit there. Ridiculous. They have no shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost all men prefer it if women are in good shape. It's like preferring it if they brush their teeth regularly. It's just one of those things you're not going to get around and you'd do yourself no favors even trying to get around.

I've spent a lot of my time as a very physically active person, even to extremes, and I value physical fitness and see it as a cultural strength unfortunately vanishing from American culture. It's still active in a lot of Asian cultures. Where I grew up, you'd see Asians and micronesian islanders who were 60 and 70 years old still scurrying up coconut trees at an astonishing pace, running on the beach, going on long hikes up mountains, etc. A whole lot of them were very active, and by and large they looked great for their age. It wasn't uncommon. Now I see plenty of Americans who look worse at 20, and by 30 and 40 many are moaning about their bad backs, moving stiffly, walking like weebles and looking and acting like lost causes.

I just don't respect that in our culture, and I don't respect it in a person, either. I can still love and respect that person, but as to that part of the choices they've made and continue to make in their lives, I can't support it and don't find a single worthwhile thing to recommend it. To the contrary, I find everything to recommend about staying in shape and keeping active.

By the way, I don't think women should worry about scales and weight per se either. They should worry about being healthy and having a reasonably vigorous command over their body. We are animals, and however we got these bodies, they were given to us as a trust that deserves to be maintained. Especially if you have kids. If you aren't smart and disciplined enough to take care of your health, ability, and appearance for your own sake, you still owe it to your kids to do so. Any way you slice it, staying healthy and capable is the smart and self-respecting thing to do.

That applies equally to men and women too. I think many women are more used to being bullsh*tted and bullsh*tting themselves than guys are, though, so many like to take any direct or implied criticisms, even of the human race as a whole, as simple sexism they can brush off without thinking about any troublesome or unflattering issue further. Unfortunately, this is so common it's perilously close to a norm.

So it's not other people's problems in perception, or sexism, or any ism that makes not being healthy and capable a good thing. Those things are simply valuable in and of themselves, without qualification, without reference to sex or age or anything else. It's simply the human reality. If we lived as heads in jars instead of in animal bodies, things might be different, but we don't, and they aren't.

Blarg 11-16-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
db made a great post once containing a reference to fat people attacking a buffet in Vegas. Can you repeat that if you remember it, db? It was hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, don't remember. Was it something like 'watching a starving terrier finding a wet paper bag full of sausages'?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think that was from some discussion about marital sex.

entertainme 11-16-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the more interesting excuses I've heard for putting on weight:

[ QUOTE ]
Women are becoming fatter - maybe there is a deep-rooted reason for this. Too many rapists out there, illegal criminals let out of prison, rape law against women in favour of men, one of the reasons why I put on weight, for protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...20071116001141

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...I'm speechless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't read the article and obviously don't endorse the idea that women in general gain weight to avoid sexual attention.

However, I do believe there's a correlation in women who've been sexually abused. Subconsciously they will make themselves unattractive to avoid attention from the opposite sex.

Mrs. Utah 11-16-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the more interesting excuses I've heard for putting on weight:

[ QUOTE ]
Women are becoming fatter - maybe there is a deep-rooted reason for this. Too many rapists out there, illegal criminals let out of prison, rape law against women in favour of men, one of the reasons why I put on weight, for protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...20071116001141

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...I'm speechless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't read the article and obviously don't endorse the idea that women in general gain weight to avoid sexual attention.

However, I do believe there's a correlation in women who've been sexually abused. Subconsciously they will make themselves unattractive to avoid attention from the opposite sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard this too. I have also heard and have known women who have been raped having this frame of thinking. I have heard of this as a result of an assault vs a proactive approach to preventing an assault.
I preformed a lot of medical exams on victims of sexual assault-most knew who they were reporting assaulted them. With every patient I saw, body type was never a factor imo. I saw every shape and size.

katyseagull 11-16-2007 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Almost all men prefer it if women are in good shape. It's like preferring it if they brush their teeth regularly. It's just one of those things you're not going to get around and you'd do yourself no favors even trying to get around.

[/ QUOTE ]

These things are not comparable if you ask me. I could hang around a guy who is 30-40 lbs over weight, no problem. But someone who doesn't brush his teeth regularly? EWWW. Come on you cannot be serious. The teeth issue is not even up for debate. Hygiene man. That's a whole other ball game. But what's it to me if a guy has a little weight on his belly? That's his demon not mine. I can see where he might not like it but I don't care as long as I don't have to see him naked.

The reason I stay in shape is because I like to look good and I don't want to have to wear big jeans. I like wearing my fashionable clothes. But it doesn't really offend me if there's a woman who walks by me at Krogers who's a size 14. Yeah if she's obese it can be gross (like those women who have to ride the carts because they can't walk around) but a little larger than their h.s weight? Who cares!

Anyway, thanks for your answer. You write well. I thought it was interesting and I'm going to go home and walk this afternoon so I can remain in vigorous command over my body [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Blarg 11-16-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These things are not comparable if you ask me. I could hang around a guy who is 30-40 lbs over weight, no problem. But someone who doesn't brush his teeth regularly? EWWW. Come on you cannot be serious. The teeth issue is not even up for debate. Hygiene man. That's a whole other ball game. But what's it to me if a guy has a little weight on his belly? That's his demon not mine. I can see where he might not like it but I don't care as long as I don't have to see him naked.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're changing the subject. I'll hang out with anybody. We were talking about what's attractive. I do understand from some discussions here that some people will not even talk to members of the opposite sex they don't find attractive, but that strikes me as incredibly bizarre, and I'm not one of them.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I stay in shape is because I like to look good and I don't want to have to wear big jeans. I like wearing my fashionable clothes. But it doesn't really offend me if there's a woman who walks by me at Krogers who's a size 14.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's with your use of and thinking in terms of the word "offend" today? You are messing up the concept entirely and beating up straw men.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah if she's obese it can be gross (like those women who have to ride the carts because they can't walk around) but a little larger than their h.s weight? Who cares!

Anyway, thanks for your answer. You write well. I thought it was interesting and I'm going to go home and walk this afternoon so I can remain in vigorous command over my body [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care if people are fat as long as I don't have to be squeezed up against them or smell them. I have come close to getting angry at someone obese I used to very occasionally go to lunch in a group with though. It would literally take her 15 or 20 minutes to walk a block to the shopping center behind our building, holding up the whole group, who were constrained to be polite. Needless to say this left us almost no time to order or eat.