Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Poker After Dark thread (Week of 9/24 - Rivals Week) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=508741)

Kevmath 09-25-2007 01:08 AM

Poker After Dark thread (Week of 9/24 - Rivals Week)

This week's series of PAD episodes feature 3 poker rivalries:

Mike Matusow v Shawn Sheikhan (in his last TV poker appearance?)

Phil Hellmuth v Daniel Negreanu (One sees into your soul, the other knows what's in your hand)

Phil Laak v Antonio Esfandiari (The Battle of the "Sicks")

pricedin 09-25-2007 01:17 AM

Re: Poker After Dark thread (Week of 9/24 - Rivals Week)

[ QUOTE ]

Phil Laak v Antonio Esfandiari (The Battle of the "Doctors")

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

and I'd consider Matusow, Negreanu, Sheiky, and Hellmuth one big orgy of rivals

KSOT 09-25-2007 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shawn Sheikhan (in his last TV poker appearance?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me this is more than wishful thinking.

Kevmath 09-25-2007 07:50 AM

I mentioned it as a result of his possible deportation, found in NVG.

pricedin 09-25-2007 03:58 PM

god Negreanu is being such a dick to Laak

M4TT 09-25-2007 06:10 PM

Will this week be showing up on the official nbc-PAD site? They usually have the Monday up by now, nothing yet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Chilltown 09-25-2007 06:36 PM

Negreanu was killing until Mike Matusow played a hand. Hope Mike wins for once lol. Pretty sure he played exactly one hand and was the chip leader at the end of the episode.

Daniel was highly entertaining though. Shana's short=hot.

daxtrader 09-25-2007 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will this week be showing up on the official nbc-PAD site? They usually have the Monday up by now, nothing yet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.nbcsports.com/portal/site/nbc...nextfmt=default

M4TT 09-25-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.nbcsports.com/portal/site/nbc...nextfmt=default

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you sir, much appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My usual link was still on last week:
http://www.nbcsports.com/poker/poker_afterdark.htm

Dima2000123 09-25-2007 07:42 PM

Daniel got really unlucky in that hand with 22. Just when the whole table rises up in open revolt and schools him, he catches a huge hand and could've trapped someone playing back at him. Instead he gets drawn out on. At least he finally laid the hand down on the river when behind.

KSOT 09-25-2007 07:47 PM

What was with Daniel nitting it up about his drink for the first 20 minutes? Get a grip man. Apparently he also scolds Phil Laak for touching him in a later episode. Strange, I figured he would enjoy that >_>

Is Laak actually sitting in Hellmuth's lap or what? If I have to hear his "humble" speech thanking the other players for allowing him to be there one more time I may have to kill him.

Sheiky has the personality of a golf club. GET HIM OFF MY TELEVISION!

AKoffsuit 09-25-2007 09:46 PM

I'm searching for a reason to watch this it's the same players again and again

carlgraham 09-25-2007 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right - I don't suspect poker is that big in Iran. . .

Cheers, Carl.

dspholladay 09-25-2007 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Phil Hellmuth v Daniel Negreanu (One sees into your soul, the other knows what's in your hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it me or on the previous episode of PAD (negreanu, tuan, gus, etc.) didn't they say sam grizzle was on the next heat as phil's "rival"? i wonder what happened...he probably couldn't find anyone to bank him.

pricedin 09-26-2007 10:38 AM

dear lord does Hellmuth EVER bluff?

he's being almost as nitty as Laak

TheCount212 09-26-2007 03:24 PM

Phil H is playing solid tight poker. As usual.

TheDespot 09-26-2007 03:45 PM

Negreanu: Did you actually throw your computer into your swimming pool?
Matusow: Of course I did.

HAHAHAHA

09-26-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it me or on the previous episode of PAD (negreanu, tuan, gus, etc.) didn't they say sam grizzle was on the next heat as phil's "rival"? i wonder what happened...he probably couldn't find anyone to bank him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't show up.

mdl 09-26-2007 10:19 PM

Do the players have to buy their own drinks? On Tuesday nights show, Daniel pulled out cash to pay for drinks (or at least tip). Last week, Lederer tipped the drink girl.

So, supposedly they put up their own money, pay for their own drinks (or at least tip) and get nothing for the TV time. Man, I want to produce this show. Easy money.....

redron85 09-26-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, supposedly they put up their own money, pay for their own drinks (or at least tip) and get nothing for the TV time.

[/ QUOTE ]

But they get a chance to win a cool $120,000.

tacticaltal 09-27-2007 04:58 AM

what was with the [censored] remark by Antonio toward Laak and Jennifer? Man, what a pisshole for a mouth on Espandiari. Never did like that guy.

westhoff 09-27-2007 05:07 AM

what did he say?

charliecozz 09-27-2007 08:31 AM

Antonio didn't say anything bad

MrFizzbin 09-27-2007 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the players have to buy their own drinks? On Tuesday nights show, Daniel pulled out cash to pay for drinks (or at least tip). Last week, Lederer tipped the drink girl.

So, supposedly they put up their own money, pay for their own drinks (or at least tip) and get nothing for the TV time. Man, I want to produce this show. Easy money.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Or more likely, a tip.....

wdogg40 09-27-2007 04:16 PM

Sheiky gives me hope that I can be a pro someday. I have never seen him play well on tv

vhawk01 09-27-2007 04:22 PM

Ok, I know Mike was pretty pissed off that he got busted out, so his arguments were more based on emotion than logic. And I also know its generally a pretty bad idea to make sweeping generalizations about someone based on one comment or one play or anything like that.

But how can someone who seriously think he got RIVERED and got UNLUCKY with that K2 versus AJ hand, be a world class poker player? This is an amazingly glaring misunderstanding of the way the game works, in my opinion. Its one thing to bitch about bad beats or whatever, but seriously, you HAVE to realize you put your money in bad. You can complain about him calling, you never getting lucky, whatever, but to seriously complain about that as a BAD BEAT? Because the Q came on the river instead of, like, you not hitting your K?

Bockus 09-27-2007 04:26 PM

That Pro Player energy drink must be really powerful these guys are having like 5 different conversations at once and giggling like school girls over nothing. And now they're starting to spill [censored] everywhere. It looks like none of em can hold their liquor.

BigSoonerFan 09-27-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I know Mike was pretty pissed off that he got busted out, so his arguments were more based on emotion than logic. And I also know its generally a pretty bad idea to make sweeping generalizations about someone based on one comment or one play or anything like that.

But how can someone who seriously think he got RIVERED and got UNLUCKY with that K2 versus AJ hand, be a world class poker player? This is an amazingly glaring misunderstanding of the way the game works, in my opinion. Its one thing to bitch about bad beats or whatever, but seriously, you HAVE to realize you put your money in bad. You can complain about him calling, you never getting lucky, whatever, but to seriously complain about that as a BAD BEAT? Because the Q came on the river instead of, like, you not hitting your K?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a bad beat, percentage-wise, but it was a bad beat the way it played out. The poker gods teased him to the point that his opponent was down to a four-outer. If that happens a lot to him, then it can wear on you. Of course, that's his point-of-view. I think he just conviently forgets his suckouts, etc.

tacticaltal 09-27-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Antonio didn't say anything bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you think it's okay to dis a man's relationship, then I guess you're in the same league with him.

What Antonion said was that he couldn't understand why Jennifer was with him, and that he gave them six months before she left him. He prefaced all this with some kind of crap that Jennifer didn't love him, that she was with him only because ... WHY? I didn't get the punch line.

In Phil's mind, Antonio was saying mean things. I agreed. What a tramp.

Will The Thrill 09-27-2007 05:39 PM

where does it say Mike Matusow is a world class poker player? the dude loses more money than he wins, the only difference is he just keeps playing, hell they gave him money to stay on HSP in one of the episodes. Just because this guy is on tv(same for Sheiky) doesn't make him better than some of us, give alot of us (including myself) 100k to work with and we'd be more profitable than some of these "pros" Some of them are amazing, Negreanu and Hellmuth typs, they know the game inside and out, and can read people, but some just either have money(sheiky) or don't really care if they end up with any(Mouth)

But for my money, this weeks episodes are very entertaining, you can learn alot watching these guys when they aren't as focused as normal, see how much they lie, etc...

Phil Laak for example, knows the math side of Hold Em inside and out, but isn't really nay better than any of us except for the fact he can afford to lose and we can't

Will The Thrill 09-27-2007 05:40 PM

they are friends, that's how male friends between 25-35 treat each other, it's just how we do things

tacticaltal 09-27-2007 05:49 PM

if it had been said in a light-hearted tone, fine. But Antonio was very sincere, in my opinion. And true friends don't treat each other that way. That's was BS.

JDesab 09-27-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a bad beat, percentage-wise, but it was a bad beat the way it played out. The poker gods teased him to the point that his opponent was down to a four-outer. If that happens a lot to him, then it can wear on you. Of course, that's his point-of-view. I think he just conviently forgets his suckouts, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't remember the hand you are speaking of.. and i don't mean to make trouble... but does a four outer not fit into the category of a bad beat? i had assumed that a four outer hitting on the river was a classic example of a bad beat.

ibluffoldladies 09-27-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't remember the hand you are speaking of.. and i don't mean to make trouble... but does a four outer not fit into the category of a bad beat? i had assumed that a four outer hitting on the river was a classic example of a bad beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's just trying to say if Mike played this hand better then he would have taken the pot down instead of getting four outed on the river. He created his own beat by his bad play. Percentage wise, after five cards, AJ will beat K2 more than 50% of the time (hence it's not a bad beat).

Will The Thrill 09-27-2007 06:44 PM

didn't he have 6 outs? 3 aces for higher pair and 3 queens to straight up

and i think the aspect of it being a bad beat is when he put the money in, if he had called preflop(still a bad call with K2) and then hit the King and pushed all -in and then got drawn out on it'd have been a worse beat, but he was so far behind when he put his money in, he was lucky to even be ahead at any point in that hand

BigSoonerFan 09-27-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's just trying to say if Mike played this hand better then he would have taken the pot down instead of getting four outed on the river. He created his own beat by his bad play. Percentage wise, after five cards, AJ will beat K2 more than 50% of the time (hence it's not a bad beat).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to say (and Mike was trying to say) it was a bad beat the way it unfolded, drama wise. The poker gods dangled the carrot in front of him and snatched it away on the river.

Silent A 09-28-2007 05:25 AM

I don't think Mike ever called it a bad beat (although Shauna did). Mike was just complaining that the poker gods always tease him, by letting him think he'll "finally" suck out, and then taking it away on the river.

Jooka 09-28-2007 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Mike ever called it a bad beat (although Shauna did). Mike was just complaining that the poker gods always tease him, by letting him think he'll "finally" suck out, and then taking it away on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

if by poker gods you mean 'TV' you're probable right.

Ayodeji13 09-28-2007 07:24 AM

I just have to say that this has made for a very entertaining week. Good to have a bunch of talkers on the show.

I also don't mind players playing supertight just so they can get more airtime. Makes for better TV imo.

Hotel Detect 09-28-2007 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if it had been said in a light-hearted tone, fine. But Antonio was very sincere, in my opinion. And true friends don't treat each other that way. That's was BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Antonio is BEST friends with Phil and Jennifer both,... he was making an obvious friendly needle essentially saying, i am jealous of you Phil, you run so good in life. There was absolutely NOTHING genuinely mean spirited about this and I would jab my friends in the exact same way.