Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Official ACC-BIG TEN challenge 2007 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556493)

rivaplaya03 11-28-2007 03:09 PM

Official ACC-BIG TEN challenge 2007

Big ten will lose imo, discuss

Aces McGee 11-28-2007 03:11 PM

Re: Official ACC-BIG TEN challenge 2007

isn't the ACC already up 5-1?

-McGee

rivaplaya03 11-28-2007 03:15 PM

yea, but i was just reinforcing that fact

ligastar 11-28-2007 03:18 PM

They officially changed it to the Big Ten/ACC Challenge this year for some reason. The Big Ten is officially the ACC's biatch.

DVaut1 11-28-2007 04:09 PM

Going to the UM/BC game after work tonight at Crisler. Even though Michigan is probably a .500 type team this season, I think we're favored by 3 pts. Could be one of the Big Ten's only wins.

capone0 11-28-2007 04:57 PM

Shouldn't they change the name to: ACC-Big Ten non-challenge or ACC Ass Whoopin of the Big 10. Challenge is definitely the opposite of what it's been the last couple of years.

Dudd 11-28-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't they change the name to: ACC-Big Ten non-challenge or ACC Ass Whoopin of the Big 10. Challenge is definitely the opposite of what it's been since it's inception.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. The ACC has won every single year and leads 53-28 overall, that's pretty bad.

yurk 11-28-2007 05:09 PM

The Big Ten sucks at basketball, the ACC is weak in football. Priorities of the conferences, all there is to it.

I'm a tOSU homer for life, but they will get creamed tonight by UNC.

mmbt0ne 11-28-2007 05:28 PM

Congrats to the Big Televen for one of your best teams squeeking out a 4 point win against terrible GT.

Also, to the comment about ACC being weak in football, Duke beat Northwestern. At Northwestern. The same Northwestern who finished with 3 conference wins.

L

O

L

iron81 11-28-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, to the comment about ACC being weak in football, Duke beat Northwestern. At Northwestern. The same Northwestern who finished with 3 conference wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm so sorry.

NozeCandy 11-28-2007 06:19 PM

I saw on TV last night that the only Big 10 team with a winning record in this thing is Michigan State at 4-3. Pretty sad.

JackWhite 11-28-2007 06:39 PM

The Big Ten has been sucktastic in this, but there is some reason for hope. OSU, and MSU continue to have great recruiting classes. Indiana is back, Painter has Purdue on the road back to being competetive, Beilein should get Michigan back to a decent team, Tubby Smith should improve Minnesota. If only Bruce Weber would have capitalized on Illinois' recent good run with some elite recruits, but he didn't.

MinRaise 11-28-2007 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Big Ten has been sucktastic in this, but there is some reason for hope. OSU, and MSU continue to have great recruiting classes. Indiana is back, Painter has Purdue on the road back to being competetive, Beilein should get Michigan back to a decent team, Tubby Smith should improve Minnesota. If only Bruce Weber would have capitalized on Illinois' recent good run with some elite recruits, but he didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've defended the Big Ten in the past, but it is going to be a bad year for the conference. There are some very good freshman, but it will take a year or two before that translates into a stronger conference.

That said, I still like this event, even if it is a massacre every year. I don't think there is any conference that could compete in this event with the ACC year after year, but not taking it at least one year is pathetic.

Assani Fisher 11-28-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Big Ten sucks at basketball, the ACC is weak in football. Priorities of the conferences, all there is to it.

I'm a tOSU homer for life, but they will get creamed tonight by UNC.

[/ QUOTE ]

yurk,

Thanks a lot for your honesty. Many times people get carried away with homerism, and the fact that you don't do that really speaks volumes about your integrity. I would love to hear your insights on their new freshman center...Koufas or something like that? Hearing great things about him. Do you expect him to stay in college long? Who in the NBA is his game similar to?

As for Maryland, big game tonight against Illnois. I actually havn't been able to see them play yet since I live in Vegas, so I'm super excited.

Anyway, I hope everyone really enjoys the games tonight. You guys work hard, and you enjoy some fun. Take care.

Love,
Assani

NozeCandy 11-28-2007 09:18 PM

Big 10 fighting back a bit here. MSU is absolutely destroying NC State at the half, and Illinois and Michigan are in really close games w/Maryland and BC. OSU losing to NC tonight though will seal the challenge.

yurk 11-28-2007 09:36 PM

Assani

Koufas is a solid player. Though not as dominant on the defensive side as mr. Oden was last year, I think offensively he's a bigger threat then Oden. He's a 7 footer who can play the post w/ outside range so he has to be respected.

I haven't heard anything concrete about his stay here. He got offered a contract to play ball in Europe, but came here . Probably waiting for his draft stock to rise either for this years draft or the following IMO.

Austiger 11-28-2007 09:42 PM

I bet I'm the only one who knows there is a SEC/Big East challenge starting this year. They're going to play only 4 games a year for some reason.

rivaplaya03 11-28-2007 10:18 PM

damnit nc state sucked it up tonight, michigan state came to play i guess

ClunkerDuds 11-28-2007 10:30 PM

Illinois laid an absolute turd tonight. What a terrible performance.

JPantz 11-28-2007 10:33 PM

Illinois played so bad. Glad I didn't spew out money for tickets like I had planned on.

NozeCandy 11-28-2007 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damnit nc state sucked it up tonight, michigan state came to play i guess

[/ QUOTE ]
They just had a closer-than-necessary game against Oakland (small school in Michigan) a few days ago. I'm sure Izzo kicked their ass in practice. That and Neitzel finally getting over his illness helped a lot.

MuresanForMVP 11-28-2007 10:42 PM

Just got back from the UMD-Illinois game, Md played their best game so far this season and took a close one. Illinois really didn't look that good at all. I dont know about some of the coaching decisions on the part of Gary but w/e. Dupree looked great all game, he really plays great defense down low. Vasquez sucked ass like usual, Gist played pretty well, Cliff Tucker looked awesome, but Hayes really brought it tonight. In all, I was pretty happy with the performance

FlyWf 11-28-2007 10:56 PM

OSU leading UNC at halftime via some excellent luckboxed threes

DVaut1 11-28-2007 10:58 PM

Just got back from the Michigan/BC game.

The game was a little more competitive than the final score indicates. Michigan was still in it until there were 7 minutes left. Then they quit rebounding and shot atrociously.

BC didn't impress me very much, but Tyrese Rice is sick [censored].

capone0 11-28-2007 10:58 PM

Luck box that Lawson isn't playing. Frasor and QT aren't bad off the bench but they aren't good enough to start. Frasor can't shoot for anything.

johnnybeef 11-28-2007 11:06 PM

Wait a sec, Mayo wasn't Mr. Ohio last year?????

jalapenoguy 11-28-2007 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait a sec, Mayo wasn't Mr. Ohio last year?????

[/ QUOTE ]

he won it in 06 but played in west virginia last year.

capone0 11-28-2007 11:20 PM

Wow can more of our guys get hurt.

ADLinden 11-29-2007 12:01 AM

if osu could shoot they might of had a chance in this game

Troll_Inc 11-29-2007 12:53 AM

Let's not get carried away here.

If you go back and look at the Final Four to 1997, both the ACC and Big Ten each have had 10 teams.

Nat'l champions is a little too narrow, and just making the tournament a bit too broad.

I suppose you could also look at Sweet Sixteen appearances over that time to determine the number of quality teams between the two conferences.

kyro 11-29-2007 12:59 AM

WE ARE!

ClarkNasty 11-29-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Illinois laid an absolute turd tonight. What a terrible performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really a turd. More like what we should expect.

dlk9s 11-29-2007 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you go back and look at the Final Four to 1997, both the ACC and Big Ten each have had 10 teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minnesota's appearance does not officially count.

MinRaise 11-29-2007 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Minnesota's appearance does not officially count.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither does Ohio State's

ligastar 11-29-2007 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just got back from the Michigan/BC game.

The game was a little more competitive than the final score indicates. Michigan was still in it until there were 7 minutes left. Then they quit rebounding and shot atrociously.

BC didn't impress me very much, but Tyrese Rice is sick [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

Rice's stats this season (including Michigan game)

37 mins/per game
41% 3PT%
3.0 made 3FGs/per game
88% FT%
4.2 rebounds/per game
7.0 assists/per game
2.19 A/TO ratio

vhawk01 11-29-2007 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Nat'l champions is a little too narrow, and just making the tournament a bit too broad.

I suppose you could also look at Sweet Sixteen appearances over that time to determine the number of quality teams between the two conferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, NC is too broad and making the field is too narrow because they dont show what you want them to show. Odds are the Big10 would be better in SOME category that you could arbitrarily define.

dlk9s 11-29-2007 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Odds are the Big10 would be better in SOME category that you could arbitrarily define.

[/ QUOTE ]

White guys?

Troll_Inc 11-29-2007 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, NC is too broad and making the field is too narrow because they dont show what you want them to show. Odds are the Big10 would be better in SOME category that you could arbitrarily define.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, so agree on one first and then look.

I think Final Four is the best for determining depth at the top. Sweet Sixteen is good for looking at which conference has the best top 5 teams or so.

I don't think anyone would argue that the lower half of the ACC is much better than the lower half of the Big Ten.

MyTurn2Raise 11-29-2007 10:40 PM

lol @ Maryland fans chanting "A" "C" "C" toward the end of the Illinois game

apparently, they don't realize most Illinois fans hate the Big11Ten and love making fun of it as well. I'm really glad the Big11Ten sucks as it will allow Illinois to compete most of the season.

anyway, the style of play in the midwest has left it behind in competing nationally

I love midwest basketball, but it's so far from what the rest of the nation plays. It really hurts the Big11Ten and MVC teams when playing cross-sectional matches. The amount of defense allowed varies dramatically. The 'style' has also hurt the Big11Ten in regards to recruiting. Guys don't want to work that hard.

MuresanForMVP 11-29-2007 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ Maryland fans chanting "A" "C" "C" toward the end of the Illinois game

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was pretty funny.