Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   New Irons...thoughts (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=414858)

jupiterpig 05-29-2007 04:54 PM

New Irons...thoughts

Im thinking about getting Cleveland CG4 irons...4-PW + 3 Iron hybrid...i am 6'4 so fitting was an issue and i can get these lengthened and custom fit for $456 with tax...

Thoughts on these irons??? Good deal?

pokerbobo 05-29-2007 07:10 PM

Re: New Irons...thoughts

As long as they are custom fit by someone who knows what they are doing. Length of clubs is one thing, I also had my toe up 2 degrees. made a ton of difference in my game.

pdk 05-29-2007 09:01 PM

i find that a 3 hybrid, of most models, fly farther than a normal 3 iron would for me (ymmv i guess). you'd probably have a pretty big gap between your 4 iron and 3 hybrid, so i'd try out a 4 hybrid just to see.

Butcho22 05-29-2007 09:41 PM

But then he would have a big gap between his 4-hybrid and his 5-iron based on that logic, lol j/k.

Search Ebay for that exact iron type and find some comparables. Best way to make sure you're not gettin hosed IMO.

fatshaft 05-30-2007 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i find that a 3 hybrid, of most models, fly farther than a normal 3 iron would for me (ymmv i guess). you'd probably have a pretty big gap between your 4 iron and 3 hybrid, so i'd try out a 4 hybrid just to see.

[/ QUOTE ]This is very true, same loft will get you further, so now I have a gap between my 3h and 4 iron, on the plus side I bought new Ping G5 fairways, so the proper gap to my 5 wood is back

Phytopath 05-30-2007 11:18 AM

getting properly fitted is huge especially since you are tall.

All the name brand irons are pretty good IMO when fitted properly. Also I think that almost no one should be using 3irons anymore, hybrids are an excellent choice.

EMc 05-30-2007 12:31 PM

Question with fitting: If you already have irons can you take them somewhere to be re-shafted to for fitting?

pokerbobo 05-30-2007 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question with fitting: If you already have irons can you take them somewhere to be re-shafted to for fitting?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get all new shafts that are longer, or for a cheaper way, tou can have all the grips removed and have some insert extenders put in and the new grips placed on.

jdeane 05-30-2007 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same question about getting already used clubs fit. The length of my irons (Titleist 804 CB) are alright, I am only 5'9". Would there be considerable benefits to getting my irons fit?

ghostface 05-30-2007 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get all new shafts that are longer, or for a cheaper way, tou can have all the grips removed and have some insert extenders put in and the new grips placed on.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a good idea though. It really detracts from the feel of the clubs.