Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2/4 B&M - AK on Kxx flop vs preflop capper (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542147)

gobbledygeek 11-09-2007 12:57 PM

2/4 B&M - AK on Kxx flop vs preflop capper

2/4 B&M, loose & passive, 10 players

Villain is young kid who's been talking about internet poker. Seems like a TAG.

Hero has been card dead for his hour at the table and only played 2 or 3 non-blind hands (one raised preflop and taken down with a two barrel on the turn, others limped and folded on the flop). In other words, I'm sure he sees me as only playing when I have a set preflop.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
1 call, UTG+3 (Villain) 2bets, 2 coldcallers, Hero 3bets, 1 call, Villain caps, 1 fold and 1 call, Hero calls

Flop (4 players, 19 SB): K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets (?), 1 call, Villain 2bets, 1 fold, Hero 3bets, 1 call, Villain caps, Hero enters call down mode

Should I have check/raised the flop and entered call down mode on the 3bet (thus saving 0.5 BB)? Did I enter call down mode at the appropriate time? Can I do anything but call down?

GcluelessnoobG

KitCloudkicker 11-09-2007 01:07 PM

Re: 2/4 B&M - AK on Kxx flop vs preflop capper

[ QUOTE ]

Should I have check/raised the flop and entered call down mode on the 3bet (thus saving 0.5 BB)?

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING

as played dont 3 bet the flop, call down after the raise.

mikeca 11-09-2007 01:18 PM

If the villain is playing correctly, which is not usually a good assumption in B&M 2/4, then the preflop cap means AA-QQ or AKs, maybe JJ, AK or AQs. An aggressive player would have a wider range here.

You are behind a lot of that range, chopping with some, and ahead of a few. I would call it down from there. I prefer betting out at the flop. If the villain had JJ or something that missed this flop then he might check it through, and you don’t want to give him a free shot at drawing out on you when you are ahead. Just call it down.

gobbledygeek 11-09-2007 01:26 PM

My thinking on 3betting the flop was that Villain could just be raising for a free card on a large draw; plus, I have another player in the pot I'd like to charge. I think I kinda backed myself into a corner of having to 3bet if leading, no?

KitCloudkicker 11-09-2007 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking on 3betting the flop was that Villain could just be raising for a free card on a large draw;

[/ QUOTE ]

how much of villains range here do you think actually constitutes a draw?

gobbledygeek 11-09-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking on 3betting the flop was that Villain could just be raising for a free card on a large draw;

[/ QUOTE ]

how much of villains range here do you think actually constitutes a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I guess hardly anything. AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] which I'm chopping with; outside chance of KQ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something like that but I think that's unlikely to be capped preflop against tight image Hero.

I think the fact that there was another player swayed my decision. I've got to learn that charging a 3rd player isn't very useful if I'm behind the villain.

mikeca 11-09-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

as played dont 3 bet the flop, call down after the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Kit on this. If I thought the villain was a TAG, I would just call down from his flop raise.