Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   PC asdf config. vs. console controller (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=555705)

Wires 11-27-2007 05:00 PM

PC asdf config. vs. console controller

My first console was an Atari and my last was the first Playstation. Almost all of my gaming since then has been on the PC and this primarily consists of FPS and MMORPGs. I've decided to pick up an XBOX because watching the Guitar Hero commercials and reading the thread in this forum is killing me a little more everyday.

The problem is I'm having a difficult time adjusting to the thumbsticks after using the asdf keyboard configuration for so long (specifically talking about FPS games - I seem to be fine with sports). I'm not as fluid with the controller as I am with the keyboard and I have to focus on the controller a lot more where the PC is more natural. Obviously this detracts from the enjoyment of the game.

Has anyone else experienced the same when making the transition? Is it simply a matter of time and getting familiar with the controller or have do some PC gamers continue to struggle? At 36 I'm definitely older than most of the posters in this forum who have probably used the thumbsticks for as long as they have been gaming. This old dog is having a tough time learning this new trick though.

ThaSaltCracka 11-27-2007 05:05 PM

Re: PC asdf config. vs. console controller

it has to be just a matter of adjustment

Wires 11-27-2007 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it has to be just a matter of adjustment

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so because I've grown weary of constantly upgrading video cards, processors, etc... just to play a video game. I can buy the XBOX for less than I would have to spend on my next video card. I'd rather be able to dumb down my PC where I would only need a system good enough for business, cards, web surfing, etc... and start gaming on the console.

If I can just get my thumbs on board with the plan I'll be good to go.

Khaos4k 11-27-2007 05:26 PM

It takes a while, but you get used to it. I suggest staying away from multiplayer to start with. Everyone and their grandmother will wipe the floor with you. At least thats what happend to me.

Play the single player campaigns on easy and you'll move up to normal pretty quick.

thesilkworm 11-27-2007 06:44 PM

OP, I have exactly the same problem. After playing through the Orange Box games and a bit of Halo 3 and Bioshock, I'm starting to get used to it. I still get killed online, but I'm getting there.

PITTM 11-27-2007 07:34 PM

I played Halo3 and hated it, I assume the joysticks weighed in heavily there.

sharpie 11-27-2007 09:14 PM

I can't get used to it, so I just bought a video card for my PC so I can play CoD4 with a keyboard+mouse.

If you're like me you probably won't enjoy FPS as much, since not only does it feel awkward to control, but you suck and get killed more which takes away from the enjoyment factor.

I don't know what your budget is, but the recent cards that just dropped in the $200-$250 price range should be enough to last for a couple years and are quite abit cheaper than a 360, especially when you account for other fees like xbox live. If your whole system is old then it will obviously be more costly to upgrade.

Guitar hero 3 is also on PC FWIW.

PITTM 11-27-2007 09:16 PM

I was gonna say, I bought a 8800gt a few months ago for like 150. I dont imagine you have to spend 3x that much for a perfectly fine card.

TheDoubleA 11-27-2007 09:20 PM

Yea, I have the PC for FPS and RTS games, and the 360 for sports and racing games.

sharpie 11-27-2007 09:22 PM

I'm guessing you meant 8600GT? I just paid $225 for a 8800GT and it's only been out about a month.

Wires 11-27-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what your budget is, but the recent cards that just dropped in the $200-$250 price range

[/ QUOTE ]

Money isn't really an issue. My current PC is almost 5 years old and the video card and RAM have each been upgraded once since the initial purchase. It's time to buy a new PC so I'm trying to determine whether to buy something a little more scaled back or another gaming machine.

The more I think about it the more likely I am to keep gaming on the PC and skipping the console. Over the years I've used the joysticks often enough on friend's systems and I'm not sure I'll ever adjust. Probably more frustration than it's worth. Especially in an FPS where aiming is a mother without a mouse.

It sounds as though I'm not the only long time PC user to struggle moving from wasd to joysticks.

capone0 11-27-2007 11:05 PM

I struggle with FPS on consoles as well. I'm a way above average CS/TF2 player but I can't play Halo 3 or any console FPS for my life.

Dire 11-28-2007 03:18 AM

I also took quite a while to adjust, but love the results. IMO there seems to be a larger skill gap between the players at the 'top' of console aiming, and those at the bottom - when compared to mice, which everybody can get pretty darn good at aiming without a whole lot of effort. Another nice thing is the lack of concern about people using wallhacks, aim bots, etc... but that's another issue all together.

First thing I'd do when learning is to drop the sensitivity way down, to like 4-5. It's a bit harder to get used to the controls, and trying to go at 7+ when first starting out is just going to frustrate you. And then first work on a new type of aiming (at least for Halo). Don't try to circle strafe your opponents at first. Instead line up your reticule with their head height and then don't touch the right analog. Only use the left analog to keep up with their movements and keep them targetted, and maintain a proper distance. This will give you a whole lot more control. It's a completely different type of aiming, but once you get it down everything becomes much much easier and you can slowly start integrating more 'standard' ways of shooting/maneuvering.