Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   USS Liberty: Accident or Cover-up? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=534224)

bills217 10-29-2007 10:26 PM

USS Liberty: Accident or Cover-up?

I've recently been reading a lot about the USS Liberty incident - interesting to say the least. There seems to be both compelling evidence and inconsistencies for both sides. Almost everyone I've talked to seems to think it was planned by Israel through and through, but the wiki article seems to lean toward the accident angle. If it's true that Johnson helped cover up the attack for political reasons, man - that is a real black eye for the country.

Anyhow, gonna watch the BBC documentary and some of the other videos on Google video about it...but first I thought I'd see what the 2+2 Politics forum thinks of the incident. Feel free to add relevant commentary.

Copernicus 10-29-2007 10:39 PM

Re: USS Liberty: Accident or Cover-up?

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently been reading a lot about the USS Liberty incident - interesting to say the least. There seems to be both compelling evidence and inconsistencies for both sides. Almost everyone I've talked to seems to think it was planned by Israel through and through, but the wiki article seems to lean toward the accident angle. If it's true that Johnson helped cover up the attack for political reasons, man - that is a real black eye for the country.

Anyhow, gonna watch the BBC documentary and some of the other videos on Google video about it...but first I thought I'd see what the 2+2 Politics forum thinks of the incident. Feel free to add relevant commentary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm absolutely shocked your choices didnt include a conspiracy that Johnson knew about it in advance.

bobman0330 10-29-2007 10:46 PM

I think it's probably somewhere in between. I'm not an expert though. IIRC correctly, iron posted a story about some new evidence recently.

iron81 10-29-2007 10:54 PM

Unsurprisingly I'm sure, I was searching for that while you were posting. Link

ikestoys 10-29-2007 11:00 PM

obv its the much less likely and more complicated action

Ron Burgundy 10-29-2007 11:40 PM

This pole doesn't have an option for my opinion.

bills217 10-29-2007 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This pole doesn't have an option for my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

BASTARD?

?

bills217 10-29-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unsurprisingly I'm sure, I was searching for that while you were posting. Link

[/ QUOTE ]

Damning case indeed. Sheesh.

BCPVP 10-30-2007 12:03 AM

Can someone fill me in on potential motives for Israel purposefully attacking the U.S.? Cui bono?

bills217 10-30-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone fill me in on potential motives for Israel purposefully attacking the U.S.? Cui bono?

[/ QUOTE ]

Expansion of war against Syria, Egypt, and Jordan, which the US was against. The USS Liberty was present to intercept all communications in the area. Still seems bizarre that they'd so blatantly blow it up though. Maybe they pre-planned the mistaken identity bit and also knew the US was unlikely to react in an overly hostile manner regardless, given the circumstances?

They did initially claim that they were first attacked by Egypt, which was later found to be untrue - the Six Days' War began with Israel taking out the oppositions' air fleets with Pearl Harbor-style surprise attacks.

And no matter what happened, it certainly seems like the Israeli pilots and officials are lying about the presence of the flag on the USS Liberty, which, as the Tribune article points out, is really the crux of the entire incident. Also that the US was entirely too anxious to let the whole thing be forgotten.