Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Software products that you think are really good (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319348)

bwana devil 02-02-2007 10:48 AM

Re: Software products that you think are really good

just got my pcmagazine in the mail yesterday. cover story is "78 best free softare for 2007"

just one stand out from from the article:

www.gimp.org - photoshop knock off. i started using it last night. im quite pleased so far...and lost.

there are a lot mroe stand outs. just depends on what your interests are.

Dids 02-02-2007 11:43 AM

Gimp is fantastic. It's slow loading, but given that the price of photoshop is so prohibitive, gimp's a great choice.

Borodog 02-02-2007 11:54 AM

I tried gimp years ago and what I really disliked is that the interface seemed really obtuse. Or maybe it was just me being obtuse. In photoshop it always seemed really easy to figure out how to do stuff, but in gimp, I think I had a hell of a time drawing a circle.

Has the interface improved over the years?

Borodog 02-02-2007 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're a vi fan, you should try vim (VI Improved) http://www.vim.org. It works like vi, but with many added features. You can split your window vertically or horizontally and have multiple files open. You have history and editing for colon commands and searches. This feature alone makes it a huge improvement over plain vi. No more retyping your entire complex regular expression substitution command because you got one character wrong. Just hit the up arrow and edit it and try again. The gui version has menus and graphical file open and save dialogs (or you can use the command line like regular vi--the best of both worlds). It also has syntax coloring for a variety of programming languages and config file formats, can be set up to process compiler/syntax checker errors and take you to the line with the error, and is available for Windows, Linux and most varieties of UNIX (you can build it from source if no binary is available), and can be run in either GUI or terminal mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I need a moist towellette. I had no idea this was available for Windows. You just made my day dude.

Dids 02-02-2007 12:13 PM

Borodog,

GIMP's interface is pretty confusing, but from my limited use of photoshop, not demonstrably less so that ps. There's a pretty steep learning curve, but if you're not an idiot, you can figure most of it out.

PITTM 02-02-2007 05:03 PM

just to clear things up. openoffice files can be opened with microsoft office products and used interchangeably right?

wslee00 02-02-2007 05:11 PM

Memento - great little post it prog - very small footprint

edtost 02-02-2007 05:47 PM

RJ,

openoffice can write to microsoft office formats, though i have seen a few spreadsheets not open correctly in excel afterwards.

i have no idea whether MO can open OO formats or not.

PITTM 02-02-2007 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Memento - great little post it prog - very small footprint

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for replacing the 4390203473 stickies on my desk at work.

D.H. 02-02-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
screw Trillian, meebo.com is where it's at

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna say that I use Miranda but after checking out Meebo I switched. Great stuff!