Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   100-200 live, set hand vs tough opponent (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=529708)

2handed 10-23-2007 07:14 PM

100-200 live, set hand vs tough opponent

1/2 at the Bellagio, 3 or 4 am, 5 handed.

Villain is pretty sharp, Lenny for those of you that play these games. He had been playing a 200/400 mix game before this and seemed like a pretty solid player capable of making reads and mixing it up. He probably views me as too loose-aggressive, and an internet player.

One interesting hand that preceded this was when I called his preflop raise with K5 suited in BB, called KK8 flop,
checkraised turn K, and he called cr and river bet. He didnt show, but seemed a bit surprised when I showed quads.

On to the hand...
He raises UTG, folded to me in the sb with 88 I 3bet,
bb folds, he 4 bets I call.

flop 258 two clubs: I check, he bets, I check raise, he 3 bets, I call

turn 4 clubs: I bet, he calls

river A diamonds: I bet, he raises, I 3bet, he 4bets, I call.

comments on all streets appreciated.

jkinetic 10-24-2007 01:34 AM

Re: 100-200 live, set hand vs tough opponent

Never, ever pay off Lenny when he puts in this much action in any form of poker.

Razor22 10-24-2007 10:19 AM

Preflop is standard. 4 bet flop and bet out turn. With a flop like that an overpair may go 6 bets with you on flop with heavy draw board. I suspect he turned the nuts, so you may have lost the same amount of bets since turn would of been 3 bets or more. Definetely should of stopped at 2 bets on river. You played your hand like it was clubs.

mtgordon 10-24-2007 10:25 AM

I agree with going more on the flop. Normally I wouldn't mind calling the flop with the intention of c/r the turn but if you are going to be scared with any club (which is reasonable) then you're going to end up having to lead too many turns so I like putting in more action on the flop.

Turn seems good.

No way I 3bet the river. I don't think he's calling with any hand that you beat. He either has your crushed or is raising with the intention of folding to a 3bet and I don't think he folds a set of Aces on the river so you're not folding out a better hand.

Alright, tell me why I'm wrong [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

FoxwoodsFiend 10-24-2007 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never, ever pay off Lenny when he puts in half this much action in any form of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

2handed 10-24-2007 08:16 PM

I was planning on bet/3betting any turn, which was why I just called the flop 3bet. I think my 3bet on the river was pretty bad, but I thought when he just smooth called the turn he may have had AK/AQ with a club, which in retrospect is a bad read of this player.

After he 3bet the flop I figured him to most likely have a higher pair, and I figure he may just call down with 1010-QQ, but that he would raise my turn lead on most non-overcard, non-flush cards to protect his hand.

All in all I would say I misplayed this one based on my opponent. I like my line against a more aggressive, spazzy player, but he had started opening up against me since he knew I was playing weaker hand values than the rest of the table. Despite his loosening up against me, I figured the only hands that beat me on the river were AK of clubs or AA due to his preflop 4bet, but that assumption seems flawed.

NMcNasty 10-25-2007 11:31 AM

If 3 betting river is bad your opponent isn't tough.

Realyn 10-25-2007 02:50 PM

Just a thought, i would 4bet the flop after the quads hand to make he think im drawing(yeah i know, he knows that i know ...)

He should 5bet it then or raise ur turn bet on a non club turn card, so u really dont lose any money to the bet/3b turn line imho.
Also any club or ace could kill ur action against an overpair, so get it in on the flop!

Victor 10-25-2007 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If 3 betting river is bad your opponent isn't tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf no.

2handed 10-26-2007 02:09 AM

This player is tough. Maybe not online good LAG tough, but for a live player he was very strong.

He had KQ of clubs. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]