Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   A Preemptive Strike (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546634)

Hollywade 11-15-2007 04:38 AM

A Preemptive Strike

Lately I've had a problem letting my chip stack get too short before I make a move. Then, when I finally do pull the trigger, I have no fold equity. Even if my hand does hold up and I double, I'm still not in good shape. To remedy this, I've been trying to open it up a little bit as I start to approach 10 big blinds remaining in my stack. Ordinarily, I probably just fold in this spot. Thoughts on picking this hand at this time to make my stand with? Should I be worried about the limper?

By the way, this happened way before the money bubble, so that was a non-factor.

[ QUOTE ]
Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, Midnight Madness!, 100/200 Blinds, 9 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: 18,110
UTG: 3,175
Hero (UTG+1): 1,850
UTG+2: 320
MP1: 13,892
MP2: 8,603
CO: 15,252
BTN: 6,085
SB: 4,160

Pre-Flop: (300) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
UTG calls 200, <font color="red">Hero raises to 1,850 and is All-In</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls 1,850, 5 folds

Flop: (4,200) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Turn: (4,200) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: (4,200) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 4,200 Pot

[/ QUOTE ]

LordRaven 11-15-2007 05:09 AM

Re: A Preemptive Strike

I would never make that move UTG+1 unless I really have to. Wait til you sitting late to push that hand. You are in push mode but not UTG+1 with ATo

BrandiFan 11-15-2007 12:53 PM

In the 10-20 bb range you should open less and resteal more. Refer to Bond's 3 bet post for more detail.

ZenMusician 11-15-2007 01:03 PM

I don't think you are that desperate yet, but if
I'd been getting J2 for the last hour, I can put
myself in your shoes.

First-in vigorish isn't a factor yet with those
mountains of chips behind you. Wait for
uncontested pots in LP and look for weak/obv
steals to shove on...much better plan with ~ATo

-ZEN

Sherman 11-15-2007 01:59 PM

According to the pushbot charts you need an M of 4.9 and all of the villain's to be tight (66+,A6s+,A8o+,KQs) behind you for this to be a profitable push from this position. Your M ~6.

I'd suspect their calling ranges are tighter than that.

Fold.

Sherman

Win.by.TKo 11-15-2007 02:40 PM

Looking at the M, one factor to consider is that the M will be reduced by 1 in three hands. Another thing to consider is the time remaining before the blinds increase, and what your M at the next level will be. If the next blind level is either 150/300 or 100/200 ante 25, your new M would be ~4 or ~3, respectively.

All things considered, I like pushing here.

DeuceSeven 11-15-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never make that move UTG+1 unless I really have to. Wait til you sitting late to push that hand. You are in push mode but not UTG+1 with ATo

[/ QUOTE ]

OP has less then 10bbs. If there are antes and utg is super loose passive, I think a shove is ok. If there are no antes, I wait for AJ+, 88+, because we're not opening and we have [censored] position.

Hollywade 11-15-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the 10-20 bb range you should open less and resteal more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a technical question: Is it still considered "opening" if I raise after one person has already limped in.

I'm sure you mean wait till somebody comes in for a raise, but I was just checking.

I figured the limp just gave me some more chips to pick up and that it was unlikely he would call such a large shove.

Hollywade 11-15-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First-in vigorish isn't a factor yet with those
mountains of chips behind you. Wait for
uncontested pots in LP and look for weak/obv
steals to shove on...much better plan with ~ATo

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes sense. I just got a little anxious there. I guess I'm not in imminent danger and could let the blinds get past me and make a couple moves from late position. I think I might just be overcorrecting the problem of letting myself get too short.

BrandiFan 11-15-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the 10-20 bb range you should open less and resteal more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a technical question: Is it still considered "opening" if I raise after one person has already limped in.

I'm sure you mean wait till somebody comes in for a raise, but I was just checking.

I figured the limp just gave me some more chips to pick up and that it was unlikely he would call such a large shove.

[/ QUOTE ]I'd almost always shove from the BB here against most ssmtt donks who limp utg. You'll get called by KT and weaker aces pretty frequently. With everyone left to act, I think AT is the borderline fold hand. I like AJ+ and 88+ to push in your spot, but I don't think AT is horrible.

By restealing, I mean reraising over a player who you read has a wide opening raise range. That doesn't apply much for this particular hand as 10xbb doesn't often give you any FE to speak of. I just mentioned that to address your complaint that you're getting short too often.

edit to add: "Opening" is usually meant as the first action when it's a raise (I specify open-limp when it's not a raise). When I say resteal vs player with wide opening range it implies that they have opened for a raise, but it can also be used vs a donk who open limps with weak hands. Obv, you don't need as many chips to shove over a limper...