Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   BCS championship game scenarios (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=554292)

smbruin22 11-25-2007 06:07 PM

BCS championship game scenarios

is it still highly confusing?

or is it west virginia-missouri if they both win? (not too optimistic on TV ratings, but i like both teams).

then ohio state in the wings if one stumbles.

if both stumble (WVU very, very unlikely), then who does OSU play? so many potential teams, but is there basically an obvious one (LSU??)??

thanks in advance!!.. i just saw the BCS poll and it seems like missouri and WV are way ahead (and WV should destroy pitt, although rivalry game)

ClarkNasty 11-25-2007 06:19 PM

Re: bcs championship game??

Yes, it's WVU-UM if they both win.

Needle77 11-25-2007 06:23 PM

Will this officially cause the universe to implode if it does end up being Mizzou vs WVU? GO Big East FTW!

GBP04 11-25-2007 06:23 PM

I don't know all the possible matchups but I do know that I'd be happy with Mizzou/WVU, LSU/WVU. LSU/Mizzou and maybe LSU/OSU. I do want to see USC play a big game, but they are to o far out of it.

smbruin22 11-25-2007 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know all the possible matchups but I do know that I'd be happy with Mizzou/WVU, LSU/WVU. LSU/Mizzou and maybe LSU/OSU. I do want to see USC play a big game, but they are to o far out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i was thinking though is that failing highly improbable Pitt upset over WVU, it will be 2 of OSU, WVU, missouri...... i don't think others have a chance failing WVU losing....

i think missouri showed that they are an explosive top quality team.... i did think that kansas would have been killed in championship game with the huge layoff.

WVU-missouri will be an intriguing football matchup. but i think the general public would rather see a relative upstart vs. a behemoth (sp??)

AngusThermopyle 11-25-2007 07:10 PM

Mizzou v WVa if both wins out.
Ohio State gets in if one of them loses.
Georgia in if both lose.
Kansas no chance. They cannot jump Ohio St or Georgia since all three teams are done playing.
VaTech would have to jump three idle teams. I don't think a win over BC can be that impressive.

XXXNoahXXX 11-25-2007 07:12 PM

if osu gets in and wins ill puke

ClarkNasty 11-25-2007 07:23 PM

I do think it's "lol funny" that Georgia could get in despite not even PLAYING in their conference title game.

Awesome system.

KUJustin 11-25-2007 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Georgia in if both lose.
Kansas no chance. They cannot jump Ohio St or Georgia since all three teams are done playing.
VaTech would have to jump three idle teams. I don't think a win over BC can be that impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really close between Georgia and Kansas with the computers favoring Kansas. A little campaigning to the pollsters might be just enough for KU in that scenario of MU and WVU losing. Obviously it's a big longshot, but it's not an impossibility.

BigSoonerFan 11-25-2007 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Georgia in if both lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really close between Georgia and Kansas with the computers favoring Kansas. A little campaigning to the pollsters might be just enough for KU in that scenario of MU and WVU losing. Obviously it's a big longshot, but it's not an impossibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly hope that common sense prevails and Georgia gets in before Kansas.

iron81 11-25-2007 07:38 PM

Here's my complete BCS projections:

NC: Missouri/OSU v. WV
Rose: OSU/Illinois v. USC
Sugar: LSU/Tenn v. Hawaii
Orange: VT/BC v. Georgia/Kansas
Fiesta: Kansas/Oklahoma v. ASU/Illinois/Clemson

I put Hawaii in the Sugar because they're now 12 so they should automatically qualify if they beat Washington and the Sugar Bowl has the last priority this year. Here's a link to the selection procedures with the conference tie-ins.

Many of these bids obviously depend on winning next week. Illinois will be selected to play the Rose Bowl if OSU makes the NC game. This poses a problem for me because I would prefer to see OSU play the NC game but I have an Avatar bet that I lose if Illinois makes it.

I really don't know if Illinois would go over Clemson for an at-large bid in the Fiesta Bowl, but ASU will clinch that if they beat Arizona: they will be the home team and have no trouble selling tickets and they'll move up a couple spots in the rankings.

AngusThermopyle 11-25-2007 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Georgia in if both lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kansas (6 and T5 in polls) will be hurt by VaTech (7 and T5) and LSU (5 and 7) winning their conference championship games and will probably drop relative to, not overtake Georgia (4 and 4).

ADLinden 11-25-2007 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have an Avatar bet that I lose if Illinois makes it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I ask what the avatar would be?

Troll_Inc 11-25-2007 08:25 PM

<-------------------------------

[ QUOTE ]
Can I ask what the avatar would be?

[/ QUOTE ]

pvn 11-26-2007 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think it's "lol funny" that Georgia could get in despite not even PLAYING in their conference title game.

Awesome system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nebraska did it in the 2001 season.

CardSharpCook 11-26-2007 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Awesome system.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, you mean if WVU loses to Pitt? right.

ClarkNasty 11-26-2007 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Awesome system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nebraska did it in the 2001 season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I thought that was funny too.

Just as OU losing their conf title game by like 200 points and still getting into BCS game.

pgjcbsn 11-26-2007 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my complete BCS projections:

NC: Missouri/OSU v. WV
Rose: OSU/Illinois v. USC
Sugar: LSU/Tenn v. Hawaii
Orange: VT/BC v. Georgia/Kansas
Fiesta: Kansas/Oklahoma v. ASU/Illinois/Clemson

I put Hawaii in the Sugar because they're now 12 so they should automatically qualify if they beat Washington and the Sugar Bowl has the last priority this year. Here's a link to the selection procedures with the conference tie-ins.

Many of these bids obviously depend on winning next week. Illinois will be selected to play the Rose Bowl if OSU makes the NC game. This poses a problem for me because I would prefer to see OSU play the NC game but I have an Avatar bet that I lose if Illinois makes it.

I really don't know if Illinois would go over Clemson for an at-large bid in the Fiesta Bowl, but ASU will clinch that if they beat Arizona: they will be the home team and have no trouble selling tickets and they'll move up a couple spots in the rankings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your leaving Missouri out of it completely if they play OU close but lose. They go from #1 to out of it?

iron81 11-26-2007 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your leaving Missouri out of it completely if they play OU close but lose. They go from #1 to out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I am. Kansas only fell to 5th when they lost and I predict Missouri will fall further than that if they lose. 1 loss Kansas > 2 Loss Missouri.

TomCollins 11-26-2007 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I am. Kansas only fell to 5th when they lost and I predict Missouri will fall further than that if they lose. 1 loss Kansas > 2 Loss Missouri.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Unless Kansas can get up to #4 in the BCS somehow. 2 Losses to the same team > 1 loss to Missouri. It wouldn't surprise me that the BCS would screw this up, though.

tdarko 11-26-2007 01:26 PM

Every year we say the same thing but if it is true it can be said every year, it is BS that teams are sitting at home with a chance to move into a title game while other teams are having to play a conference champ game--which is obv against a tough opp.

For instance, Mizzou has beat Ill. something tOSU couldn't do, beat #2 Kansas a better win than anything on tOSU's schedule yet if they lose in the BIG XII Championship game while tOSU is at home they are out and tOSU is in. The thing that is important is that Mizzou's only two losses would be to an outstanding OU team. Obv Mizzou has earned a title game over tOSU but has to bang heads with the #9 team in the country yet again, to prove what?

iron81 11-26-2007 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obv Mizzou has earned a title game over tOSU but has to bang heads with the #9 team in the country yet again, to prove what?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if they lose to the #9 team in the country TWICE, they probably don't deserve the NC game. What does it matter when OSU played their games? Their schedule ends early because the B10 teams generally play an OOC game on their bye week so everyone can go home for Thanksgiving. They played the same number of games.

I probably shouldn't be calling KU a lock because that implies 100% sure, but I do project they will go regardless of what happens Saturday.

TomCollins 11-26-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every year we say the same thing but if it is true it can be said every year, it is BS that teams are sitting at home with a chance to move into a title game while other teams are having to play a conference champ game--which is obv against a tough opp.

For instance, Mizzou has beat Ill. something tOSU couldn't do, beat #2 Kansas a better win than anything on tOSU's schedule yet if they lose in the BIG XII Championship game while tOSU is at home they are out and tOSU is in. The thing that is important is that Mizzou's only two losses would be to an outstanding OU team. Obv Mizzou has earned a title game over tOSU but has to bang heads with the #9 team in the country yet again, to prove what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still believe that no team should be allowed into the BCS championship game unless they win their conference bid. Why should Missouri get a place in the title game if they can't even win their own conference? There might be a case that Oklahoma would deserve the title game more than Ohio State, but certainly not Missouri if they lose.

tdarko 11-26-2007 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if they lose to the #9 team in the country TWICE, they probably don't deserve the NC game. What does it matter when OSU played their games? Their schedule ends early because the B10 teams generally play an OOC game on their bye week so everyone can go home for Thanksgiving. They played the same number of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously they don't deserve the title game if they lose to OU twice (if anything OU should at least be mentioned), that wasn't the point at all. The point is that tOSU isn't playing Ill in the Big 10 Championship game (w/ a chance to lose to them twice as well). Amount of games doesn't matter, I mean if you want to count Kent State thrown in the middle of tOSU's schedule to justify the same amount of games as Mizzou playing a conference championship game against a BCS caliber team then I think we need to re-examine our line of thinking.

No matter how you dice it, conferences playing conference championship games are at a severe handicap--you simply can't argue this.

pvn 11-26-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Unless Kansas can get up to #4 in the BCS somehow. 2 Losses to the same team > 1 loss to Missouri. It wouldn't surprise me that the BCS would screw this up, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of scenario has happened in the SEC several times. It almost always plays out like iron is describing.

2001, for example. Tennessee lost the SEC championship and ended up in the citrus bowl while florida got the at-large BCS bid.

pvn 11-26-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still believe that no team should be allowed into the BCS championship game unless they win their conference bid. Why should Missouri get a place in the title game if they can't even win their own conference? There might be a case that Oklahoma would deserve the title game more than Ohio State, but certainly not Missouri if they lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, under this "must win conference" rule, who do you put in there if both WVA and Mizzou lose next week? OSU vs. Hawaii?

damaniac 11-26-2007 02:09 PM

And I say TS for the conferences with CG's. They decided to do it because it brought exposure and more money. Unfortunately, these games have a downside too. They're perfectly free to forgo the money and exposure (florida benefited last year) and find a way to crown a champion in a 12-team league, or make the league smaller. But they made a choice, it had upsides and downsides, and now they want to cry about it? You want the benefits you pay the costs.

TomCollins 11-26-2007 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously they don't deserve the title game if they lose to OU twice (if anything OU should at least be mentioned), that wasn't the point at all. The point is that tOSU isn't playing Ill in the Big 10 Championship game (w/ a chance to lose to them twice as well). Amount of games doesn't matter, I mean if you want to count Kent State thrown in the middle of tOSU's schedule to justify the same amount of games as Mizzou playing a conference championship game against a BCS caliber team then I think we need to re-examine our line of thinking.

No matter how you dice it, conferences playing conference championship games are at a severe handicap--you simply can't argue this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the handicap argument. I think the Conference Championship Game is a horrible addition. Look how much difference you can get in schedules- Kansas avoids Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech- the three best teams in the South. Of course, they end up finishing up doing extremely well. Iowa State has to play all three, and ends up doing extremely poorly.

I also don't like the idea of missing teams in your own conference, like the Big 10 does. I really like the Pac-10's true round robin system. There are still benefits like playing certain teams at home vs. away, but its clearly the fairest and the best way to do things. I could understand a championship game only if you never played teams in the other division or if only your divisional record mattered for determining who wins each division. Let's look at the SEC and Big 12 to see how this would work out:

SEC East:
Florida 4-1
Tennessee 4-1
Georgia 3-2
South Carolina 2-3
Kentucky 1-4
Vandy 1-4

SEC West:
LSU 5-1
Arkansas 3-2
Mississippi State 3-2
Auburn 3-2
Alabama 2-3
Mississippi 0-6

Big XII South:
Oklahoma 5-1
Texas Tech 3-2
Texas A&M 3-2
Texas 3-2
Oklahoma State 2-3
Baylor 0-5

Big XII North:
Missouri 5-0
Kansas 4-1
Colorado 2-3
Nebraska 2-3
Iowa State 2-3
Kansas State 1-4

This is much more in line with how good the teams really are (or at least what they accomplished).

In an ideal world, each conference will have 10 teams max (or 10 teams max per division & a conference championship game). Conferences with only 10 teams have a conference super-championship with another conference. This plays very well into the bowls and serves as a mini-playoff. They play true round robins and the champion emerges.

TomCollins 11-26-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, under this "must win conference" rule, who do you put in there if both WVA and Mizzou lose next week? OSU vs. Hawaii?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oklahoma, USC, LSU/Tennessee are more deserving than Hawaii in that order.

vhawk01 11-26-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty results oriented, its just as likely that some team will be able to use the conference CG as one extra big win to vault themselves into the national title game. Its gotta be pretty close to neutral, except that teams who think they should be in the NCG should be LOOKING for games at the end of the season against good teams in order to prove themselves.

Blue Celery 11-26-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Georgia in if both lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

LSU would jump Georgia in the human polls if they win the SEC Champ game, especially after all of the lobbying by ESPN. This only happens if OU & Pitt win this weekend.

I can't believe there isn't more lobbying by tOSU for that top spot with the human voters. What a story it would be to see the 'rebuilding' Buckeyes play and win the Nat'l Championship a year after getting their asses handed to them a year before. I suppose that is why they aren't getting the 1st place attention right now anyways, because of last year's game, and people afraid of another team like OU in 2005.

If both Mizzou and WVU win this weekend, we're looking at the least watched championship game in a long time.

pwnsall 11-26-2007 02:46 PM

I know some people hate when a team that didn't win it's conference plays in the mnc. Hypothetically if Illinois beat Iowa should OSU not be allowed to play or is a tie good enough? Illinois would have gotten the BCS at large bid in this case.

In this case about the opposite thing happened to Georgia where the team they needed to lose didn't so they are somehow worse? I never really got the argument.

gusmahler 11-26-2007 02:48 PM

FWIW, here's the BCS predictions from collegebcs.com

NC: OSU v. WVU
Orange: Miami v. Georgia
Fiesta: Oklahoma v. Kansas
Rose: USC v. Illinois
Sugar: LSU v. Hawaii

tdarko 11-26-2007 02:54 PM

Tom Collins,

I agree with that. I think each conference should have a relatively similar schedule system.

vhawk,

Actually it isn't results oriented. A team shouldn't be able to "vault" itself into a title game if it didn't earn the title game during conference play while a team is at home and is more deserving before the champ game just like a team that is more deserving before a champ game shouldn't lose out b/c it has to play 1 more tough game while a team sits at home. This isn't results oriented, it is common sense. I am advocating against the Conf Cham game is all, I mean every Big XII coach petitions to the Bix XII commissioner to do away w/ the conf title game after each year b/c it sucks but it brings in money--the only reason the Bix XII introduced the title game was b/c they saw how well the SEC title game did.

vhawk01 11-26-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom Collins,

I agree with that. I think each conference should have a relatively similar schedule system.

vhawk,

Actually it isn't results oriented. A team shouldn't be able to "vault" itself into a title game if it didn't earn the title game during conference play while a team is at home and is more deserving before the champ game just like a team that is more deserving before a champ game shouldn't lose out b/c it has to play 1 more tough game while a team sits at home. This isn't results oriented, it is common sense. I am advocating against the Conf Cham game is all, I mean every Big XII coach petitions to the Bix XII commissioner to do away w/ the conf title game after each year b/c it sucks but it brings in money--the only reason the Bix XII introduced the title game was b/c they saw how well the SEC title game did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just dont get all the focus on one single game. Its just a conference game. What is inherently unfair about Big 12 teams playing a tougher schedule than Big Ten teams? If tOSU played Michigan a week later and on the same weekend as the conference championship games, would that make it better? The only reason the Big12 teams have a chance to vault or sink is because they have scheduled tougher opponents, albeit they scheduled tougher opponents against their will or whatever.

MicroBob 11-26-2007 03:01 PM

you can have two Big 12 teams play EACH OTHER in the Fiesta Bowl?
Weird.

I would very much enjoy watching Hawaii get absolutely clobbered in New Orleans. Boise St they ain't.

vhawk01 11-26-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OU v KU is even possible? Huh, when is the last time that happened?

Wait....Miami?!?!

Semtex 11-26-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think 3 loss Illinois who lost to Missou, Iowa and Michigan getting an at large over a two loss ASU who lost to Oregon and USC would be wrong. Same goes for 3 loss LSU though that wouldn't be as bad because of how deep the SEC was this year.

iron81 11-26-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHAHAHA. Move along, nothing to see here.

Also, what semtec said. And I'm pretty sure there is a rule that teams from the same conference can't meet except in the NC game.

MicroBob 11-26-2007 03:15 PM

not enough coffee today. my eyes immediately saw OU/KU and LSU/HAW and didn't even look at Miami?

WTF is this?