Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Home office furniture recommendations? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533353)

pvn 10-28-2007 07:11 PM

Home office furniture recommendations?

I currently use a kitchen table for my desk. This is super functional, since it gives me a big, flat, uninterrupted surface.

There's two problems with this.

1) the apron around the bottom of the table plus the beveled edge make it hard to use clamp-on lamps, monitor arms, etc.

2) my wife wants me to get something more "professional" looking.

I work full time out of my house, but I don't see clients at home. She just wants something more classy.

I'd like to find something in the same vein as a kitchen table, with legs, no drawers. A big plus would be something that has matching storage (lateral file cabinets + hutch-type bookshelves, for example). My current table is 6" wide, which is nice, but I don't really *need* something that long. The table is very DEEP, though, whcih I really like since I can put a decent amount of space between me and the screen.

The $$$ is not really that big of a concern. I'm definitely looking for serious, high-quality furniture, not any crappy officemax particleboard stuff.

I'm not too picky about finishes, though I prefer dark-stained wood over something painted.

Recommendations? I don't even know who carries good stuff like this.

I did see this "Bedford Work Table" at Poverty Barn:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...key=cfurhofdsk

This looks pretty much like something that I would have in mind, since it does have matching file cabinets and shelving, and the desk itself is just legs+flat top and it's REALLY DEEP, but it's apparently discontinued - you can get the legs in one finish and the top in another, but no matching set is available. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The other desks PB has all use big bulky file cabinets as the desktop supports, which is a real turnoff to me.

Bremen 10-28-2007 10:17 PM

Re: Home office furniture recommendations?

I know quite a few of the posters here are fans of IKEA. They have a high emphasis on modular units with modern designs. I personally use a desk from the Gallant Series. For some general ideas on what you can put together they have a couple mockups that use flash (evil!!!). Regardless you just have to visit a store to see what its really all about [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

pvn 10-28-2007 10:34 PM

Ikea is heavy on MDF/particleboard, aren't they?

That stuff may very well be functional, but it's not going to pass the wife test. It has to look like nice, expensive *traditional* furniture. :|

Edit: if it weren't for the wife constraints, I would really kinda like that gallant desk. You could clamp all sorts of stuff to that.

Bremen 10-28-2007 11:18 PM

But its nice heavy particleboard with a good finish and unique styling! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
It has to look like nice, expensive *traditional* furniture. :|

[/ QUOTE ] Given the average age/marital status of these forums I really think you're looking in the wrong place ;0)

pvn 10-29-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the average age/marital status of these forums I really think you're looking in the wrong place ;0)

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a *few* old fogeys here. :|

Bremen 10-29-2007 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a *few* old fogeys here. :|

[/ QUOTE ]
Most old fogeys I know don't pay attention to what their wives think; at least not when it pertains to "their" room. Frankly they probably should, its scary how many old guys I know who still have monochrome monitors lying around their basements.

Ajahn 10-29-2007 03:50 PM

Why don't you just go to your local furniture stores? I know it's usually expensive, but it seems that's what you want anyway.

If you have a little skill you can easily make a table yourself, which looks perfectly fine.

pvn 10-29-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you just go to your local furniture stores? I know it's usually expensive, but it seems that's what you want anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to a few. Most of them that have the nicer stuff don't have the type of desk I'm looking for, and instead have more traditional stuff like this:

http://www.ethanallen.com/jsp/univer...mp;subSelect=1

I'm being really particular here; what I'm looking for is basically a table, not a desk, that has matching shelves and cabinets. I don't really want ANY storage on the desk at all.

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a little skill you can easily make a table yourself, which looks perfectly fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm considering this route, I know a pretty good woodworker here locally. I'll probably end up using him.