Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Wherein I cap the turn but check behind on the river (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=322438)

sweetjazz 02-03-2007 03:22 AM

Wherein I cap the turn but check behind on the river

This comes from a hand I played HU versus a villain who was new so I didn't have much of a read, except that in his first few hands he wasn't a crazy maniac.

I'm in the SB (button), and I open raise T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain in the BB calls.

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The villain leads out with a bet, and I elect to call.

Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Villain bets again, I raise, villain 3bets, I cap.

River is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Villain checks, and I check behind.

Can the turn cap + river check behind ever be right? I don't think so, which means I either should have capped turn and bet river (my plan was to call a check/raise), or I should have called the 3bet on the turn and called a river bet UI. Which line do you prefer?

I explain my river check behind when I give results.

DeathDonkey 02-03-2007 03:28 AM

Re: Wherein I cap the turn but check behind on the river

When he donks the flop you are putting him a big draw that gets stubborn on the turn. People like to donk / 3bet the flop HU with big flopped hands and big draws. You are putting him on basically 87dd but I think a worse two pair is a likely hand of his so I think you have a bet on the end and would play the turn the same.

-DeathDonkey

kahntrutahn 02-03-2007 03:55 AM

as played I bet Riv for value, and I all but never lay down 2p HU... so...

Scary_Tiger 02-03-2007 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as played I bet Riv for value, and I all but never lay down 2p HU... so...

[/ QUOTE ]

bet/call

PokerBob 02-03-2007 04:39 AM

i don't get it.

PokerSparky 02-03-2007 04:51 AM

I start not liking my hand when villain three-bets the turn, so I just call down from there.

As played, you're pretty much toast if villain checkraises the river IMO, but I bet/call.

cartman 02-03-2007 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can the turn cap + river check behind ever be right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it can, but only when the river card is ultrabad. This one doesnt qualify in my opinion.

Cartman

DrewOnTilt 02-05-2007 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I explain my river check behind when I give results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please enlighten me. You gain a bet from a worse two pair and oddly played Kings. Why check behind? I don't get it.