Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Did he just hit an inside draw? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=127580)

bav 06-01-2006 09:37 AM

Did he just hit an inside draw?

B&M NL1/2, $200 max buyin. Hero has $650ish. Villain has $1500ish which he's accumulated by hitting almost anything he plays, but without playing terribly wildly.

Hero has J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG and limps for $2. At least 60% of pots are being raised preflop to $10 to $15 so I want to let someone else raise it. A couple limpers, villain raises to $12 from LP and there are about 4 callers.

Flop (5 players, $43): J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
It's checked to the villain who bets $25. Folded to the hero who raises $35 more to $60. Only villain calls.

Turn (2 players, $163): 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets $200. Villain instantly all-in's.

Now what? Hero has almost $400 more. And what might our hero have done differently?

capone0 06-01-2006 09:47 AM

Re: Did he just hit an inside draw?

This is really hard, I don't think I can muck the second nuts on this board to this player even with 325 BBs. Personally your flop bet blows. Reraise pot or something larger. Personally he could have 88, 44, or even 66, also overpairs might make this move but I probally call after deliberation. 378 to win a 1300+ dollar pot, you only have to be right less than a third of the time and the other you could potentially fill up. I don't think this is a muck.

Haiku 06-01-2006 09:48 AM

Instacall. I'm sure you see two pair, worse sets, overpairs, etc. way more often than you see 75, and even against that you have 10 outs to the nuts. There is also no way I'm putting him on 75 given that he raised with so many limpers. I beat this guy into the pot when he shoves.

Teph 06-01-2006 09:51 AM

1. Don't fold
[ QUOTE ]
Hero has JJ UTG and limps for $2. At least 60% of pots are being raised preflop to $10 to $15 so I want to let someone else raise it. A couple limpers, villain raises to $12 from LP and there are about 4 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want a 5 way pot with JJ?

3. Flop: what?

4. Don't fold. If you did lose, learn to re-raise.

Haiku 06-01-2006 09:52 AM

Capone, unless my math is wrong he's risking $400 for $163+$200+$600=$963 so a bit better than 2.25-to-1. I think you're counting hero's bet if he called as part of the pot size.

capone0 06-01-2006 09:53 AM

I said 300 whatever to win a 1300 dollar pot. My pot odds are incorrect, your right. It's early but I still make this call unless the villian shows me his hand. He has too many other hands on this board for this to be a muck.

bav 06-01-2006 10:18 AM

I'll grant that the post-flop raise was anemic. I know better and I can't explain exactly what brain seizure happened that caused the $35 raise.

As for letting in 5 players with JJ... I don't mind playing JJ like most any middle pair. I don't do that everytime I get JJ, but UTG especially I'm less likely to lead out with a raise, particularly if the game is such that it's likely someone else will raise it if I don't. Perhaps that's stupid, but it helps keep me outta trouble with JJ (helps keep me outta trouble--as we can see, it doesn't prevent it).

Haiku 06-01-2006 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I said 300 whatever to win a 1300 dollar pot. My pot odds are incorrect, your right. It's early but I still make this call unless the villian shows me his hand. He has too many other hands on this board for this to be a muck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I completely agree on the call. I'd call this getting anything better than 1-to-1; I think we're easily good here more than half the time.

ipp147 06-01-2006 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now what? Hero has almost $400 more. And what might our hero have done differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise preflop. Given that you didn't....

Bet flop.

As played I call this.

LegallyBlind 06-01-2006 10:28 AM

beat that mofo in the pot like whoa