Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   getting fast cars in automatic.... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=551575)

pokerchap 11-21-2007 04:04 PM

getting fast cars in automatic....

I am going to buy a car and a lot of the cars I like are the semi-trick ones like VW GTI and Subaru WRX. The problem is I don't know how to drive a stick shift. Am I a big tool if I get these cars in automatic and just use the paddle shifter occ.? fwiw, its not that i dont want to learn driving a stick its just that I dont want to.

blinden84 11-21-2007 04:06 PM

Re: getting fast cars in automatic....

in a straight line performance you won't notice much difference, but pulling out of turns and finding the right gear is where an automatic suffers the most.

FWIW, I decided I wanted a WRX STi, (only comes in 6mt) and just learned to drive it. Not the ideal situation, but I wouldn't have it any other way now.

coyote 11-21-2007 04:10 PM

why bother. get a VW bug if you want to drive an auto.

kyleb 11-21-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, its not that i dont want to learn driving a stick its just that I dont want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah great.

edit: learn to drive a stick you nancy.

oddjob 11-21-2007 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to buy a car and a lot of the cars I like are the semi-trick ones like VW GTI and Subaru WRX. The problem is I don't know how to drive a stick shift. Am I a big tool if I get these cars in automatic and just use the paddle shifter occ.? fwiw, its not that i dont want to learn driving a stick its just that I dont want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is perfectly fine, if you have a vagina. do you have a vagina?

MtDon 11-21-2007 04:27 PM

You are not a tool.

Maybe a bit of a wimp to ask. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, I have a Subaru Impreza sedan, with the sports pack, with an automatic transmission. I have a hard time keeping it under 90mph on the interstate if I the cruise control isn't on. It'll creep up to over 100mph whenever I pass someone, if I'm not careful.

skunkworks 11-21-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is perfectly fine, if you have a vagina. do you have a vagina?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure that you does not.

rubixxcube 11-21-2007 04:35 PM

Its waaaayyyy more fun in stick, i have driven stick all of my life and have only ever owned a stick shift car. Personally my feeling is these types of cars should only be made in a stick, such as the STI and the EVO.

I actually have the oppositte problem, it is harder and harder to find non sports cars in a manual transmission. I'm looking for a new SUV and there are about 3 of them that come in manual transmission, some toyota small one, the honda CRV, some hummers and the nissan xterra, i like the xterra(have one already) but that is all i know of... and i'm looking for a new SUV and don't want another Xterra

React1oN 11-21-2007 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, its not that i dont want to learn driving a stick its just that I dont want to.

[/ QUOTE ]huh.

Henry17 11-21-2007 05:11 PM

Learning to drive stick is really easy. I can't see why anyone would lose the performance and take on the ridicule of driving automatic over something you should be able to pick up in an afternoon.