Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Telling people to kill themselves (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=317472)

miajag 01-28-2007 08:12 PM

Telling people to kill themselves

It is pretty common in my group of friends to jokingly tell each other "kill yourself" in response to some trivial matter. Example:

Friend: "Hey, I was going to meet up with you guys last night but I ended up just staying in with my girlfriend instead."
Me: "Kill yourself."

We say stuff like this to each other pretty much all the time and think nothing of it. However, it has recently been brought to my attention by a couple people that many find this sort of thing horribly offensive. Are they taking themselves and life too seriously or are my friends and I douchebags?

miajag 01-28-2007 08:14 PM

Re: Telling people to kill themselves

BTW, I understand why people who have, for example, lost someone close to them to suicide, or had suicidal thoughts themselves, might find it offensive, but I'm mainly talking about people who are offended by it just on principle.

guids 01-28-2007 08:16 PM

depends.

Your friend: Man, Im starving, I think Im going to go to burger king, you want anything?

Mia: kill yourself.

Funny!

Your friend: Man, my chick just broke up with me, and I got a DUI last night.

mia: Kill yourself?

not funny

Also, it takes the right person to be able to make the first one funny. I personally couldnt, but I had a friend who would say stupid ass stuff like that, and it would be hilarious.

amplify 01-28-2007 08:18 PM

die in a grease fire

Fast Food Knight 01-28-2007 08:19 PM

My dad killed himself in October. Every time I hear someone kid about killing yourself, I start thinking about my dad and can't stop. I would never say anything or act emo about it outwardly, but it is upsetting. So there is a different perspective I guess.

TheBlueMonster 01-28-2007 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
depends.

Your friend: Man, Im starving, I think Im going to go to burger king, you want anything?

Mia: kill yourself.

Funny!

Your friend: Man, my chick just broke up with me, and I got a DUI last night.

mia: Kill yourself?

not funny

[/ QUOTE ]
well put. It's just a saying most of the time, but as with all sayings you hae to know who you can say it to

samjjones 01-28-2007 08:22 PM

I don't find it funny.

tabako 01-28-2007 08:24 PM

Funny when used right. When used poorly I don't see it as offensive but, like other bad attempts at comedy, an annoyance more than anything.

FWIW, my uncle committed suicide a couple years ago.

KingNeo 01-28-2007 08:24 PM

It is funny every single time it is said. The context is irrelevant.

daryn 01-28-2007 08:26 PM

it's funny if you are 14 years old or less