Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sports Betting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Has anyone read "The Art of Betting on Baseball"? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=427750)

fun160 06-14-2007 09:07 PM

Has anyone read \"The Art of Betting on Baseball\"?

I finally got around to ordering Betting Baseball 2007. Amazon also suggested A. Roman's The Art of Betting on Baseball. Can anyone give a review of the latter? Is it worth adding to my order? Thanks in advance.

rjp 06-14-2007 09:42 PM

Re: Has anyone read \"The Art of Betting on Baseball\"?

That's a book I haven't read, but one I've been meaning to get.

I'm of the opinion that even if you only pick up one thing from the book you're probably going to recoup the cost.

crockpot 06-15-2007 06:12 PM

worst book ever. i'm not exaggerating.

if you want to save money, make your own copy:

- get your 7 year old to write an essay on how the length of a team's winning streak determines whether they will win
- sprinkle in some additional typos, grammatical errors, and syntax errors
- conclude the essay with "result: WIN"
- make 40 photocopies of the essay, then staple them together

it's almost worth reading for humor value, but even then you can't get through it due to the awful writing style.

fun160 06-15-2007 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
worst book ever. i'm not exaggerating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hard time believing it could be worse than Lewis Borsellino's The Day Trader: From the Pit to the PC. After this piece of crap was published, the word at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange was that Borsellino had written more books than he's read.

In any event, thanks for warning me away from The Art of Betting on Baseball.

npc 06-20-2007 02:50 AM

I've tried to read it twice, and failed. Bearing in mind that I've never gotten as far as 25% of the way through it, I believe this is the worst copy-edited book I've ever read. Again, I never got very far into it, but from what I did read, I found nothing worthwhile. So, based on my attempts, I can't recommend it.

fun160 06-20-2007 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried to read it twice, and failed. Bearing in mind that I've never gotten as far as 25% of the way through it, I believe this is the worst copy-edited book I've ever read. Again, I never got very far into it, but from what I did read, I found nothing worthwhile. So, based on my attempts, I can't recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I took Crockpot's advice and didn't add it to my order. Amazon.com said they shipped Betting Baseball 2007 yesterday, so hopefully it will arrive in time to take with me on vacation.