Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   fans of The Wire: which character is your favorite? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=467269)

Sooga 08-02-2007 06:16 AM

fans of The Wire: which character is your favorite?

After having watched the 1st and 2nd seasons and midway through the 3rd, it's obvious that this show is a masterpiece, mostly based on the strength of its many characters. But which one is your favorite, in other words, which one do you wish had more screen time every time the show ends? (Obviously I didn't include EVERY character, but the ones that I think have a realistic shot at getting a lot of votes. My apologies if I left off anyone)

MattSuspect 08-02-2007 06:21 AM

Re: fans of The Wire: which character is your favorite?

"A lack of pussy will make even a good man turn bad." - Bunk

Sooga 08-02-2007 06:28 AM

Hey I hear ya, Bunk probably has the best lines/delivery in that show... but I had to vote for Omar... all his scenes are electric.

08-02-2007 07:01 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

GTL 08-02-2007 07:41 AM

".... and what do you do for a living?"

"I robs drug deallers."

winner.

psuasskicker 08-02-2007 09:15 AM

"Ayo, lesson here Bey. You come at the King, you best not miss."

"Boy, you must gots me confused with a man who repeats himself."

Omar ftw.

- C -

private joker 08-02-2007 09:19 AM

1. Bunk
2. Omar
3. McNulty

bwana devil 08-02-2007 09:42 AM

omar and Randy Wagstaff, one of the juveniles from season 4. someone uses his image for an avatar.

just looked up his name on the wire wiki and wow the wiki entries have been expanded in the last 6 months or so.

ClassicBob 08-02-2007 09:53 AM

<-------------

gumpzilla 08-02-2007 09:57 AM

It's hard for me to choose, because there are a lot of characters I like. Bunk might be my choice, Omar being another obvious one. Some characters I haven't seen mentioned here yet that I also really like: Cutty, Bubbles, Colvin, Landsman (in a perverse way). EDIT: I used to like Stringer a lot more, but I think that was when I had only seen chunks of season 1 and season 3.

Dids 08-02-2007 10:27 AM

1- Lester
2- Bunk
3- Bubs

Tommy banged the chick in a bathroom, not on his desk.

CrazyEyez 08-02-2007 10:34 AM

I can't put my finger on why, but Bunk doesn't really do it for me.

Omar
McNulty
Lester
Stringer (RIP)

wildzer0 08-02-2007 10:37 AM

Omar
McNulty
Bubs
Bodie

Thug Bubbles 08-02-2007 10:43 AM

Not enough love for String. Didn't think he could, but I actually empathized with him during Season 3. Great actor with a great role. Very imposing figure.

gumpzilla 08-02-2007 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1- Lester
2- Bunk
3- Bubs

Tommy banged the chick in a bathroom, not on his desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a while, whenever Lester would come on screen, my roommate would say "Shaft!" Now it's stuck in my head. Also, I'm surprised that anybody would pick Carcetti as one of their favorite characters.

[ QUOTE ]
Not enough love for String. Didn't think he could, but I actually empathized with him during Season 3. Great actor with a great role. Very imposing figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it would be nice to see Idris Elba get slightly better roles than what he's getting. I don't know, maybe he's good in that Tyler Perry movie. But it seems like a lot of the stuff Idris has been in kinda sucks.

Soul Daddy 08-02-2007 11:45 AM

I really wish D had lasted longer. He easily takes the honor of my favorite character in the show's history. Of the regulars, it's hard to go against Bunk and Lester, but I think I'd have to pick Rawls.

Gordon Scott 08-02-2007 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey I hear ya, Bunk probably has the best lines/delivery in that show... but I had to vote for Omar... all his scenes are electric.

[/ QUOTE ]

True that, Yo

gumpzilla 08-02-2007 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
omar and Randy Wagstaff, one of the juveniles from season 4. someone uses his image for an avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Randy has the same last name as Cheese. That seems like an unlikely coincidence; has the show ever mentioned a relationship between them? Is Cheese Randy's father?

Dids 08-02-2007 12:13 PM

I believe he's Cheese's nephew, but that's off the top of my head.

secretprankster 08-02-2007 12:15 PM

Kima LDO.

forshure 08-02-2007 12:18 PM

Def not enough love for Bodie and D in the thread; however, I still voted for Omar as hes just sick. his scene in the courtroom was one of the best TV scenes

wet work 08-02-2007 12:19 PM

Omar
Stringer

Kramer. 08-02-2007 12:22 PM

This is like asking me to choose which of my children I love most. I refuse to vote.

(Omar's obv. the best)

Also, no love for Chris and Snoop?

Sooga 08-02-2007 12:27 PM

I'm surprised there hasn't been more love for McNulty... when he spent 3 hours of his own time just to stick Rawls with all the bodies on the boat, that made me laugh as hard as any other scene in that show.

PayTheSnucka 08-02-2007 12:31 PM

missing:

Prop Joe
Daniels

and no Clay Davis? Sheeeeeeeit!!

gumpzilla 08-02-2007 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised there hasn't been more love for McNulty... when he spent 3 hours of his own time just to stick Rawls with all the bodies on the boat, that made me laugh as hard as any other scene in that show.

[/ QUOTE ]

McNulty is a great character for sure. But, since he was more central for most of the show for so far, he gets a little overexposed. Characters like Bunk and Omar get somewhat less face time and consequently most of it tends to be awesome. Also, the fuller presentation of McNulty also reveals the extent to which he's a self-destructive [censored], which negatively affects his likability, at least in my eyes.

miajag 08-02-2007 12:33 PM

I always really enjoy scenes with Herc and Carver, but I gotta agree with everyone who says Omar is the best character.

Bubbles is [censored] terrible. Die already.

gumpzilla 08-02-2007 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy!

I think the only characters in the history of the show that I've really wanted to disappear were Johnny and Ziggy. And by the end of that season I think they did Ziggy well.

Sooga 08-02-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the only characters in the history of the show that I've really wanted to disappear were Johnny and Ziggy. And by the end of that season I think they did Ziggy well.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.. when I first saw the Ziggy character I thought, christ, I have to last a whole season with this moron? But by the end of the show I really started to feel some sympathy for him.

Dids 08-02-2007 12:38 PM

This would be an easier thread if we were asked to list characters we hated, since everybody in the wire is awesome.

Answer: Bro Mozone is too much of a cartoon. Hate him. The only cool factor is that his manservant is the real DeAndre from The Corner.

gumpzilla 08-02-2007 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only cool factor is that his manservant is the real DeAndre from The Corner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impressed at how much of this type of stuff they manage to sneak in. Snoop is supposedly playing more or less herself - her character has the same name. The white mustachioed lieutenant in the Western is the actual Jay Landsman. And so on.

Aloysius 08-02-2007 12:42 PM

S4 introduces 2 characters I really like alot, but through S3, my favorites:

1) Omar
2) Stringer
3) McNulty
4) Bunk

Think DeezNuts once told me that Omar is the character Simon gets questioned on the most (as being the most unrealistic). Simon acknowledges that while this person exists (i.e. guy who robs drug dealers), he extended the archetype to give the audience "someone living by his own rules and code", an increasingly difficult / basically impossible task in this era. The fact that Omar feels grounded and real is a testament to the actor, imo.

-Al

gumpzilla 08-02-2007 12:45 PM

No love for Cutty from anybody?

Aloysius 08-02-2007 12:47 PM

Gump - if we include S4 he is a real standout to me (though sometimes I feel the actor is not that strong). Also the Carcetti character is brilliant, imo.

-Al

Sooga 08-02-2007 12:50 PM

Just as a random aside, I was extremely disappointed they didn't keep the S1 intro music for the other seasons. I loved that song. Instead, they remixed it up and made it worse.

Dids 08-02-2007 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only cool factor is that his manservant is the real DeAndre from The Corner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impressed at how much of this type of stuff they manage to sneak in. Snoop is supposedly playing more or less herself - her character has the same name. The white mustachioed lieutenant in the Western is the actual Jay Landsman. And so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

Other good ones.

The Deacon is actually a former crime lord that Ed Burns busted.

The white bald homicide cop is a disgraced former baltimore cop/politician

Kurt Schmoke (ex b'more mayor) as a social worker in S3

Jack of Arcades 08-02-2007 01:03 PM

Omar and Stringer, obviously.

Cheese, Michael, and Snoop get honorable mentions.

Aloysius 08-02-2007 01:05 PM

Mia:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it got to be a bit much by S4, imo. He was a great character but his S4 arc felt somewhat redundant (probably the point, he is a junkie afterall) and I didn't care as much for him.

-Al

Jack of Arcades 08-02-2007 01:07 PM

I agree with the Bubbles hate.

DeezNuts 08-02-2007 01:07 PM

How can you all not give Bunk the love???

Classic Bunk(may not be verbatim):

Bunk: Everyone has to know their roles.

Lester: What's your role, then?

Bunk: I'm just a humble muthaf*er with a big d*ck.

Lester: I think you're giving yourself too much credit.

Bunk: You're right. I ain't all that humble.