Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Anyone not think this is a standard raise? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=474826)

bernie 08-11-2007 04:53 AM

Anyone not think this is a standard raise?

From a thread in mid stakes:
link

Limit doesn't matter as the game description is more than enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Good game with lots of loose players and a couple tough spots. Villian is apparently a regular TAG named Hank for those of you who may know him. A couple sarcastic comments when he sat down 15 minutes ago make me think he is a winning player.

4 limpers. I raise Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the cutoff. BB (villian) and limpers call.

[/ QUOTE ]

b

Xhad 08-11-2007 04:55 AM

Re: Anyone not think this is a standard raise?

When I'm in the CO with QJs in an unraised pot I raise close to 100% of the time. I'm curious to see who took issue with this.

StrictlyStrategy 08-11-2007 04:56 AM

FR nits

johnnylovescandy 08-11-2007 04:58 AM

preflop call/raise is of little significance...

bernie 08-11-2007 04:59 AM

Not sure why the stupid poll isn\'t working. n/m

Xhad 08-11-2007 05:03 AM

Re: Not sure why the stupid poll isn\'t working. n/m

The poll isn't working because you told it not to take votes until noon today. And you bitchslapped diana ross fan over there, I honestly can't believe that it's even a debate.

HoneyBadger 08-11-2007 05:10 AM

Easy raise to me.

JamesBJames 08-11-2007 05:25 AM

I raise this everytime too in the CO. A few of the limpers might have already made a mistake by getting in the pot, and a raise will punish them further.

Gen Sterling 08-11-2007 05:41 AM

why would you raise here with this; wouldn't you want to build the pot for the flush? Surely, QJ won't be overcards. I don't know tho, still trying to learn.

What I mean is you don't want to run anyone out.

HoneyBadger 08-11-2007 06:06 AM

You raise for a number of reasons. First, we likely have an immediate equity edge -- that is, with 6 people in the pot, we have more than 17% chance of winning it. Second, we try to "buy the button", as they say. If the button folds, we are last to act on all streets, which is a positional advantage. Third, we might be checked to on the flop because of our raise, giving us the option of taking a free card. Finally, people will be tied to the pot in case we hit a good hand.