Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Cards call up Ankiel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=473378)

DesertCat 08-09-2007 01:29 PM

Cards call up Ankiel

St. Louis cards call up outfielder Ankiel.

[ QUOTE ]

Ankiel was hitting .267 with 32 homers and 89 runs batted in 102 games at Triple-A Memphis. He also struck out 90 times and had an on-base percentage of .314. Defensively, he had seven errors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great story, but not one that is going to end well, methinks...

RickAstleyFan 08-09-2007 01:30 PM

Re: Cards call up Ankiel

It's about time, he's been tearing up the minors for two years now.

DesertCat 08-09-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean "creating mucho mucho outs"? That's good if he was still a pitcher, but not so good as a hitter.

His OBP has been .295 in AA and .316 in AAA, what is it going to be in the Majors? Way below .300? Ankiel is 28 and in his prime so how much improvement does he have left?

Kneel B4 Zod 08-09-2007 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean "creating mucho mucho outs"? That's good if he was still a pitcher, but not so good as a hitter.

His OBP has been .295 in AA and .316 in AAA, what is it going to be in the Majors? Way below .300? Ankiel is 28 and in his prime so how much improvement does he have left?

[/ QUOTE ]

considering he only recently became a full-time hitter, I don't think you can use standard projections like that.

also, his SLG this year was .570, that's pretty damn good. sure his OBP sucks, but a guy who a .270/.316/.570 guy has good value

TheNoodleMan 08-09-2007 01:45 PM

Is he going to have a nervous breakdown the first time overthrows the cutoff man in a big game?

Kneel B4 Zod 08-09-2007 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is he going to have a nervous breakdown the first time overthrows the cutoff man in a big game?

[/ QUOTE ]

dunno, but I bet he has a gun!

Jurollo 08-09-2007 02:12 PM

I really hope he is successful. He was such a bright star as a young pitcher it was painful to watch him fall apart like that. I, for one, hope he finds a lot of success.

Kneel B4 Zod 08-09-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really hope he is successful. He was such a bright star as a young pitcher it was painful to watch him fall apart like that. I, for one, hope he finds a lot of success.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, not sure how you could not root for this guy.

it would have been really easy for him to spiral downward into a really bad place, but he pulled himself together really well.

also, he must be a ridiculously good athlete

Suigin406 08-09-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

this kid worked hard (and was lucky) to be able to make it back...also the way he fell apart sucked bad...hopefully he comes back and becomes a solid player

Scorcho 08-09-2007 02:32 PM

Oh good, it's like Rob Deer is back only this time, the kid used to pitch.