Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Marginal/"High Variance" play against EmpireMaker2 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=415286)

DCal Zone 05-30-2007 01:44 AM

Marginal/\"High Variance\" play against EmpireMaker2

Just wanna hear some feedback on this hand. I'll tell my thought process in a little bit. I know it's marginal, just curious as to if people think it's complete spew.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $3/$6 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $1,791.95
BB: $659.20
UTG: $480.30
<font color="black">Hero (CO): $1,283.00</font>
BTN: $840.00

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG calls $6.00, <font color="red">Hero raises to $24.00</font>, BTN calls $24.00, 3 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($63) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $48.00</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $138.00</font>, Hero calls $90.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($339) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $270.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $1,121.00</font>

Pot Size: $1,730.00

aejones 05-30-2007 01:48 AM

Re: Marginal/\"High Variance\" play against EmpireMaker2

wtf, he's got 7s full, nooooooooooooooo

Mench 05-30-2007 02:11 AM

Against EM2, who is a nit, I think I can fold do the flop raise.

DCal Zone 05-30-2007 02:14 AM

From my experience with EM2, he likes to make smallish raises in position on the flop with a wide range of hands. He's done this multiple times against me and other players. I think his flop raising range is a lot bigger than most people give him credit for.

Moonshine 05-30-2007 02:14 AM

dont worry it's not marginal at all

it's just complete spew

ikestoys 05-30-2007 02:23 AM

isn't he a huge nit?

DCal Zone 05-30-2007 02:25 AM

A ton of hands that beat me can be taken out of his range preflop. He'd 3bet overpairs, AJ sometimes, and 99 and 77 sometimes.

When he raises me on the flop, I am very confident I am ahead of his range. Like I said, he likes to raise in position on flops a lot to try to take down the pot or take control of the hand. The turn is pretty much the best turn imaginable for my hand. I think he'd just call a lot of the time with just a 9 on the flop, and no draws got there. My hand is also pretty transparent as being marginal, as I'd 3bet the flop with a set or a big draw.

Given that I'm ahead on the flop, the turn is a very good card, and I look weak, I don't like folding on the turn. Shoving is better than calling imo because there's a ton of scare cards that could come on the river. He can also call this with some worse hands (overcards and flush draw, top pair+flush draw)

DCal Zone 05-30-2007 02:26 AM

He's a nit preflop, but very good and a little fancy after the flop.

Moonshine 05-30-2007 02:36 AM

DCal,

You do realize that you just shoved 200 bbs in on a turn with top pair no kicker, right?

Also I can't believe people fall for this "empiremaker2 has so many moves" crap

He's very good at planting the idea that he makes more moves than he does in people's heads but more often than not you're just going to get murdered in this spot

hope it worked out for you this time though

DCal Zone 05-30-2007 02:46 AM

Yes I realize what I did.

There are very few hands in his range that I'm behind to. 77 and J9 are certainly possible. AJ and KJ might be in his range too, but he'd check the turn someitmes with those hands, and he's fold these hands to my allin a lot of the time.

There's a million different draws he might have. He also might just be bluffing.

He does not have an overpair. It's very unlikely he has a 9 in his hand (unless it's J9).

A huge factor is I'm showing so much weakness on the flop, he is firing a 2nd barrel on the turn a large % of the time. Even with a draw I think he bets here, to try to get me off a marginal hand right now, instead of me possibly deciding to look him up on the river.