Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can you live peacefully with poker? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=412390)

dardo 05-26-2007 10:04 AM

Can you live peacefully with poker?

I read this post, it was an answer to one of sbrugby's last entries to his blog ...

[ QUOTE ]
This blog seems to be a mix of severe mania, clinical depression, and egomania. Can this profession that so drastically affects your mind set be the right career choice? Neurotransmitters eventually will adapt to these chronic periods of "ups and downs" and you may need severe help. With all your cash I recommend playing for fun @ lower levels to keep you more even headed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it a bit exaggerated but it contains a lot of true. When you are in a downswing your confidence is easily affected the same it is easily boosted when you are on an upswing.

Do you think you can make a quiet and peacefull live playing poker?

regards,

dardo

Socialite 05-26-2007 10:12 AM

Re: Can you live peacefully with poker?

quit and peaceful? no

fun profitable and free? yes

Rainclouds 05-26-2007 10:26 AM

The poster of that answer is obviously not used to big sums of money (neither am I, but that is irrelevant).
Playing with 400K swings and still continue to play your A-game just means that money is not that important for Brian. That's not "severe mania, clinical depression, and egomania", it just means that he has learned to cope with those swings and that is a GOOD thing.

The point is, IT'S ONLY MONEY. Money is not that important in life. Especially when you have plenty of it, but also when you don't have much, like me.

Important things in life are food, a place to stay, health, friends, love, happiness. Money is not on that list. A couple of thousands of years ago there was no money, nobody could buy stuff, but I can't imagine that everyone was unhappy back then.

As long as you realize that money is not that important, and that poker is just one part of your life - instead of 'your life' - it's very possible to live peacefully with poker. It can make a good life even better.

nextgenneo 05-26-2007 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Money is not that important in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

People tell themselves that when they dont have much

Rainclouds 05-26-2007 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People tell themselves that when they dont have much but are happy nonetheless, unlike those rich but lonely mind-numbed internet grind-zombies

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

good2cu 05-26-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People tell themselves that when they dont have much but are happy nonetheless, unlike those rich but lonely mind-numbed internet grind-zombies

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

someone's broke

sweeng8 05-26-2007 07:23 PM

I think that the initial point is a good one. I dont have much need for money at the moment and play a lot of poker that I just use as a side income, but I cant imagine myself being able to go pro as it effects my moods too much. Not extreme levels by any extent, but I cant imagine having a calm lifesytle playing pro poker. I dont think its a case of caring about money- im not money orrientated at all, but when i go through a bad swing it still effects my overall mood away from the table
Of course, playing only as a hobby, and earning a decent enough income that you dont have money issues in your life, then poker wouldnt effect your overall stress at all. It really depends why you play, how much you play, and how much you need the money you are playing for

ImsaKidd 05-26-2007 08:42 PM

I (and im sure many others) have become emotionally numb as a function of playing poker.

Whether this is good or bad i'm not sure. It is weird though.

Yoshi63 05-27-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People tell themselves that when they dont have much

[/ QUOTE ]

I went from a student w/ no money to a student w/ some money, and it didn't make me any happier.

David LoPan 05-27-2007 01:29 AM

There's only so much money a man needs, the rest is just for showing off.

-Forrest Gump