Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Old 3/6 hand, 98s vs. post (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=498298)

Xhad 09-11-2007 12:59 AM

Old 3/6 hand, 98s vs. post

Since I think Frond kinda indirectly asked me to post some hands in another thread, here's one I posted ages ago that I can't find anymore but I still think is kinda insteresting. This is from the FTP 3/6, which at the time was basically moderately TAGgy with a handful of regular fish.

Hero is BTN with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a BB.

Preflop: Folded to CO who raises, hero 3bets, SB calls, BB folds, CO calls.

Flop (10SB): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, CO bets, hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.5 BB): T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, CO bets, hero calls, SB raises, CO calls, hero calls

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to hero who bets.

Niediam 09-11-2007 01:05 AM

Re: Old 3/6 hand, 98s vs. post

Is preflop 3bet standard?

I like all postflop streets.

shane88888 09-11-2007 03:50 AM

I think PF is frisky, but not necessarily a bad play. A lot of posters will raise any two cards in this spot. I usually would. But this isn't a play to make all of the time.

Postflop is perfect. There's no reason to re-pop the turn.

Frond 09-11-2007 02:14 PM

Xhad, thanks for posting those hands. I was thinking of you and others as far as posting some hands cause you have such solid replies.

Hand-looks good. PF raise some may not like but I do here. Probably call sometimes and raise others.

Lethe 09-11-2007 02:21 PM

Hand looks perfect to me. Seems like an ideal time to raise 98s PF. The rest of the hand is obv. standard.

Xhad 09-12-2007 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was for me, in that game, at that time. 3/6 full at the time was populated with a lot of people that knew what blind stealing was but weren't willing to play back if they got caught. I wouldn't be making this move with any 2 cards because I'm basically risking 4SB to win 4SB (3bet + cbet vs. villain's 3pf+big blind - rake). I do think that 98s has enough hand strength to make up the difference, especially given that if it does get heads-up I have some pair value and especially given that I have position and my opponent will likely misread my hand. I know Mason Malmuth advocated a similar play in the 2p2 magazine once (button open-raises, SB 3bets with 98s, Malmuth uses this as an example of a play that is correct but might make you look like a maniac).

Niediam 09-12-2007 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was for me, in that game, at that time. 3/6 full at the time was populated with a lot of people that knew what blind stealing was but weren't willing to play back if they got caught. I wouldn't be making this move with any 2 cards because I'm basically risking 4SB to win 4SB (3bet + cbet vs. villain's 3pf+big blind - rake). I do think that 98s has enough hand strength to make up the difference, especially given that if it does get heads-up I have some pair value and especially given that I have position and my opponent will likely misread my hand. I know Mason Malmuth advocated a similar play in the 2p2 magazine once (button open-raises, SB 3bets with 98s, Malmuth uses this as an example of a play that is correct but might make you look like a maniac).

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you raising with any hand that you are going to play? Would it matter if the raiser was in MP1 instead?

Thanks.

obi_wang 09-12-2007 04:33 AM

why not raise flop and try to get a free card since you have position? would you raise in live play but not online in this spot?

Xhad 09-12-2007 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you raising with any hand that you are going to play? Would it matter if the raiser was in MP1 instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes.

[ QUOTE ]
why not raise flop and try to get a free card since you have position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because after the pf raise/call and getting donked on an A-high double broadway flop, I don't think it works enough, and I don't really feel like blowing out SB since I'm assuming I need to improve to win at this point.