Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   You raise in the HJ . . . (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=363722)

Grisgra 03-25-2007 01:17 PM

You raise in the HJ . . .

with T9s. The button 3-bets; he's taggy and will 3-bet here with almost any pocket pair, KJ+, and maybe the occasional suited connector or suited paint.

The flop comes KKT. If you call the flop/turn, you'll find the turn and river are complete blanks.

You . . . ?

Check/call down, hoping the river bet is a value-bet against your calling-stationy AQ?

Work in a donk somewhere, figuring you can fold to a raise? (But if there are just calls, what do you do on the river?)

?

(BTW, against an opp. like this on the button it may be a good reason to just fold T9s in the HJ, but let's assume you didn't wisely fold preflop . . . )

milesdyson 03-25-2007 04:20 PM

Re: You raise in the HJ . . .

I feel like he's going to play his range pretty well against a flop check raise, so I would definitely just check call the flop.

I then feel like he's going to bet almost his entire range on the turn against my flop check call since he will put me on J9/Q9/AJ (wouldn't you cap him with AQ?). The only problem with check calling the turn is how the river plays. I think you definitely have to call there because he will likely value bet 66-99 and sometimes fire a 3rd barrel with QJ. But how can you avoid this river spot? Does check calling the flop and donking the turn somehow make the river easier to play? I don't know - I think that lets him off cheap when he has an underpair unless it will confuse him into calling down. I also never do it so I have no clue how people respond to that line (so I would be uncomfortable folding to a raise and calling down a raise).

Good question though. I also don't think you need to fold this preflop even with him at your left.

bboy_ 03-26-2007 03:11 PM

i find myself usually doing some c/c'ing down to the river where i donk/fold

Grisgra 03-26-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i find myself usually doing some c/c'ing down to the river where i donk/fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this makes more sense than c/c the whole way . . . thanks.

cdlarmore 03-26-2007 03:59 PM

i dont find a preflop fold in this spot, and i will put in a donk too with the hand, his rnage missed this flop a ton of the time

Grisgra 03-27-2007 03:52 PM

Results for \"You raise in the HJ . . .\"

I check/called the river instead of the wiser bet/fold (or even wiser check/fold) and he showed JJ for the win. Felt very donkey-ish paying him off all the way, I think that a worse hand might check behind on the turn, but I dunno -- I think it's close.