Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Poker Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Who loves HORSE? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=302201)

SGspecial 01-09-2007 10:26 AM

Who loves HORSE?

Who out there has become more interesting in mixed games like HORSE instead of HE, HE, HE all the time? I have definitely seen a shift at my home game and many more people playing HORSE online, so wanted to find out how prevalent this is.

Also, what's your weakest game in HORSE if you play? Mine would defintely be Stud/8, which is a little funny since Razz is my strongest game. I just can't get used to having to share the pot with the high hand.

Shandrax 01-09-2007 10:40 AM

Re: Who loves HORSE?

I love HORSE but I suck so much at Razz, it turned me into an overall loser. Can't say much about Stud/8 because I don't know much about it and probably did rather well at it by accident. My best games are Hold'em and Omaha/8.

hra146 01-09-2007 11:00 AM

I bet Sklansky loves it and wishes more people played it so he can become the richest man alive.

UMTerp 01-09-2007 11:08 AM

I love to end the night with a "fun" HORSE sit-n-go. I really enjoy the game for some reason, though I won't play it anywhere near my normal stakes, because I'm not that comfotable at all the games yet. I think my weakest link is O8 - I'm way too nitty, though I guess there's worse faults to have in that game.

Typical lowstakes online O8 hand: I fold the third nut low and maybe some backdoor high draws to a 3-bet with 4 people in the hand, and get shown crap like two pair vs. two pair vs. 5th nut low. Meh.

How to win at Stud H/L:
1. Open-raise with an ace as your door card.
2. Keep betting every street.
3. Profit!

SplawnDarts 01-09-2007 12:14 PM

Horse is OK. I love holdem, stud, and razz. Omaha8 is my worst game, but I at least don't bleed money at it. Stud8 is a lot of fun, and a very sophisticated game (arguably comparable to holdem), but I don't have as much experience as I would like against real serious opponents.

Shandrax 01-09-2007 12:58 PM

Btw, the reason why I find Razz so difficult is that I cannot judge the hand values. Initially I thought that an 8-low was a pretty good hand, but then I learned that it is just similar to top pair in Hold'em and so on....not easy to play if you can't even judge if you got a good hand or complete trash.

SplawnDarts 01-09-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, the reason why I find Razz so difficult is that I cannot judge the hand values. Initially I thought that an 8-low was a pretty good hand, but then I learned that it is just similar to top pair in Hold'em and so on....not easy to play if you can't even judge if you got a good hand or complete trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I think I see why you get in trouble in Razz. Hand values in razz are highly relative, much like holdem. Not mostly static, like in draw. The best way to value your hand is to ask how good your opponent's hole cards would have to be to beat you (or have a good draw against you on earlier streets). There are cases where an 8 is a board lock (ie. the nuts) and times where it isn't worth the plastic the cards are printed on. Thinking about the game in terms of static hand ranks is very counterproductive.

bbartlog 01-09-2007 01:29 PM

I hate Stud with a passion. In order of preference and also competence I'd rank the games O8->Razz->Hold'Em->Stud 8->Stud.
I do all right at the very low limits. Haven't tried to move up past 0.50/1.00 yet though.

Nsight7 01-09-2007 01:34 PM

Stud and I are NOT friends. Other than that, HORSE and I get along swell.

*TT* 01-09-2007 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet Sklansky loves it and wishes more people played it so he can become the richest man alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet your wrong. I win.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]