Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Good Luck Hunters!!! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547285)

Shoe 11-15-2007 11:51 PM

Good Luck Hunters!!!

If it is anything like last year's thread, I know several on these boards are off to opening weekend of gun deer season this week throughout the midwest. Good luck all and post your results!

I leave for central wisconsin tomorrow! Can't wait! I have had the itch for months now. Hopefully this thread is still appropriate in this forum.

mmbt0ne 11-15-2007 11:58 PM

Re: Good Luck Hunters!!!

It's times like these I wish Elaine still posted here.

Even if I tried to troll I couldn't come close the her level of crazy that this topic would bring about.

RiverFenix 11-16-2007 12:11 AM

You can't own a deer

Ineedaride2 11-16-2007 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't own a deer

[/ QUOTE ]

But you can make some damn fine cubed steak out of one.

XXXNoahXXX 11-16-2007 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't own a deer

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say this dear got owned.

http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/t...eer_mount2.jpg

miajag 11-16-2007 12:23 AM

FWIW, there's a pretty strong correlation between hunting and being a fat racist redneck.

edfurlong 11-16-2007 12:24 AM

My dad was a giant hippie and he blasted woodland creatures like it was going out of style.

Ineedaride2 11-16-2007 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, there's a pretty strong correlation between hunting and being a fat racist redneck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post mod.

DarkForceRising 11-16-2007 12:32 AM

Deer are killing people by running in front of cars and spreading Lyme disease (ticks). They are nothing more than hudge rats.

I learned that from Daryl Hall (of Haulin' Oats fame) on the Howard Stern Show.

BCPVP 11-16-2007 12:33 AM

Where in WI are you hunting, Shoe? I'll be about a half hour north of Wausau.

Good luck!

CharlieDontSurf 11-16-2007 12:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7-UdGc

Jack of Arcades 11-16-2007 12:39 AM

Deer is delicious.

Jack of Arcades 11-16-2007 12:40 AM

I'm not a hunter, but I am a fat racist redneck.

DarkForceRising 11-16-2007 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Deer is delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrapping it with bacon while grilling is clutch. Gets rid of the gamy taste.

Ineedaride2 11-16-2007 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a hunter, but I am a fat racist redneck.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Miajag's statistics, you beat the odds.

Ineedaride2 11-16-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Deer is delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the gamy taste can be remedied by properly preparing the meat. Keeping it in a cooler with ice for a couple of days while periodically refreshing the ice and draining the water will help a lot.

Softening up the meat is another story.

Shoe 11-16-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where in WI are you hunting, Shoe? I'll be about a half hour north of Wausau.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm close to Wisconsin Rapids, good luck to you too!

4 High 11-16-2007 12:53 AM

I am personally against hunting, but then i see the statistics of Deers killing people in accidents and such. So i dunno.

Shoe 11-16-2007 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am personally against hunting, but then i see the statistics of Deers killing people in accidents and such. So i dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

As ironic as it may sound, hunting actually helps the deer herd (overall). The land can't support as many deer during the winter as it otherwise can during the spring, summer, and fall. If there was no hunting, many more deer would die of starvation/disease, and often would die a much more-painful/slower death than otherwise caused by hunting. The deer that survive the hunt will be stronger and healthier throughout the winter months and raise healthier fawns in the spring.

True, some of this humans have brought on themselves, as deer don't have many natural predators anymore. There are a few bad apples out there that taint the reputation of hunters, but 99% of us want to kill the deer as humanely as possible and just put some meat on the table for the family to enjoy, with an added benefit being we are helping the overall health of the herd.

roy_miami 11-16-2007 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would have been much cooler had the sow snuck up on them from behind while they were lining up the boar.

*** 11-16-2007 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Deer is delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the gamy taste can be remedied by properly preparing the meat. Keeping it in a cooler with ice for a couple of days while periodically refreshing the ice and draining the water will help a lot.

Softening up the meat is another story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wild game benefits greatly from an alcohol based marinade. This both reduces (but does not eliminate) the gamey flavour and tenderizes the meat. Kill two birds with one stone this way.

gobboboy 11-16-2007 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would have been much cooler had the sow snuck up on them from behind while they were lining up the boar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick, she's comin right for us!

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/B...8002/jimbo.jpg

Wires 11-16-2007 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous. I haven't hunted in years but I have many friends who are avid hunters and fishermen. Most of these guys are professionals in their respective fields and far from rednecks.

I don't know if you were serious or just trying to be amusing (trolling?) but it's a very uninformed statement. We aren't talking about Bubba and Skeeter shooting at raccoons and squirrels from their porch.

Wires 11-16-2007 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am personally against hunting

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I assume you are a vegetarian or vegan. Which is fine. At least I can respect the opinion of someone who lives the lifestyle. I still don't understand the anti-hunting people who don't think twice before purchasing their meat on Styrofoam and wrapped in plastic.

I was never an avid hunter but I used to go out for small game - although it's been years since I've done so. I never had the stomach for big game - I simply can't bring myself to shoot a deer or moose. That being said I'm more than happy to enjoy the meat once it's been butchered - even if I am a whiny [censored] when it comes to shooting the animal myself.

'Chair 11-16-2007 10:45 AM

I read an article somewhere focusing on the decline in the number of active hunters per year and how this was disconcerting to animal rights activists who receive substantial funding from the fees associated with hunting...

I personally would love to try hunting but none of my friends hunt and I'm not sure where to start.

4 High 11-16-2007 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I assume you are a vegetarian or vegan. Which is fine. At least I can respect the opinion of someone who lives the lifestyle. I still don't understand the anti-hunting people who don't think twice before purchasing their meat on Styrofoam and wrapped in plastic.

I was never an avid hunter but I used to go out for small game - although it's been years since I've done so. I never had the stomach for big game - I simply can't bring myself to shoot a deer or moose. That being said I'm more than happy to enjoy the meat once it's been butchered - even if I am a whiny [censored] when it comes to shooting the animal myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should clarifiy. My position is alot more specific then I do not like hunting. In general i do not like killing of animals but i do like to eat meat, so i realize i am being a hypocrite. I think like the other poster said, If killing X Deers makes the rest of the Deers healthier and supports their system then i am ok with that, as long as as close to the minimum is killed as possible AND that the Deer killed get used for meat and other useful items. I doubt this makes any sense, but in my head it seems to.

Wires 11-16-2007 11:16 AM

That sounds fair.

"AND that the Deer killed get used for meat and other useful items. "

This part is crucial. I take issue for those who hunt only for sport without any respect for the animals or their environment. The meat must be butchered and the pelts can be donated/sold if you don't want to pay to have them manufactured into something useful.

All hunters that I associate with are very respectful of the environment around their hunting camps and wouldn't tolerate anyone in their party who was not. In addition to being hunters these guys are usually avid campers and outdoorsmen (as were their own fathers). Respect for nature is automatic.

Grasshopp3r 11-16-2007 01:51 PM

This was from last year.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...r/IMG_0065.jpg

I got a cow elk this year, but no photos.

*** 11-16-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was from last year.

[big image]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice 1.

Repsychler 11-16-2007 02:00 PM

You guys are killing me. I haven't been able to hunt for the last few years, and I miss it so much.
Buddy of mine got a 6-point buck opening day (Minnesota) but didn't see anything the rest of the week.

*** 11-16-2007 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read an article somewhere focusing on the decline in the number of active hunters per year and how this was disconcerting to animal rights activists who receive substantial funding from the fees associated with hunting...

I personally would love to try hunting but none of my friends hunt and I'm not sure where to start.

[/ QUOTE ]
Start reading. I don't know where you live, but I assume you'll have to take a test to get a license first, and once you've done that you should network. You'll meet someone who will hunt with you.

Some areas even have programs that partner new hunters with existing hunters so they can learn. Ask your local hunting authority about these sort of programs, they are inevitably more than happy to help you.

Grasshopp3r 11-16-2007 02:12 PM

I live in Colorado. If someone wants to talk about hunting in Colorado, I would be happy to help.

James Boston 11-16-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I assume you are a vegetarian or vegan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I too am against hunting, but not for any kind of moral or ethical reasons. I'm against anything that requires me to get up that early and freeze my a** off.

NasEscobar 11-16-2007 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I too am against hunting, but not for any kind of moral or ethical reasons. I'm against anything that requires me to get up that early and freeze my a** off.

[/ QUOTE ]
amen brother

AE6 11-16-2007 08:33 PM

hunting with a rifle seems pretty wack to me. i would like to see somebody take down a deer with their bare hands. that's living, imo

GTL 11-16-2007 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my uncle and his family are fairly avid hunters. they have a house and a bunch of land up in vermont that they hunt at. my uncle's favorite hunting story would be right up your alley. all the brothers and the dad are at the house along with a friend of one of the brothers. the family is hardcore and spends hours mapping out exactly where each individual is going to move so as to not screw up anybody else, and give everybody a good chance of bagging a big buc. the friend is getting shitfaced during this time. everybody wakes up the next morning at like 4:00AM and head out. they don't see a single animal to take a shot at. when they come back, the hung over friend has bagged some sort of monster buc. he shot it from the front porch. now thats how i would like to hunt.

GTL 11-16-2007 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hunting with a rifle seems pretty wack to me. i would like to see somebody take down a deer with their bare hands. that's living, imo

[/ QUOTE ]

before humans had any sort of reliable projectile weapons (and even for a long time after that did) they would usually kill animals like deer and antelope by getting the herd to run off a cliff or ledge. doesn't really seem any more manly to me.

FlyWf 11-16-2007 08:51 PM

I'm against hunting because it's unfair. Most deer don't even know they are being hunted and they certainly wouldn't hunt you back.

I do approve of homeless person hunting, though.

hoksy 11-16-2007 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be a borderline racist redneck, but i sure as hell is not fat

hoksy 11-16-2007 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Start reading. I don't know where you live, but I assume you'll have to take a test to get a license first, and once you've done that you should network. You'll meet someone who will hunt with you.

Some areas even have programs that partner new hunters with existing hunters so they can learn. Ask your local hunting authority about these sort of programs, they are inevitably more than happy to help you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Afaik, the fees associated with hunting licenses and habitat fees, at least in my area, only contribute to the DNR and other conservation programs. Also, at the risk of getting flamed ferociously, hunters actually contribute more to saving wildlife and their habitat than all other organizations combined.

Flame Away