Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   For OLP only: A Stack-Management Strategy for NLHE (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=506819)

brianmarc 09-22-2007 11:30 AM

For OLP only: A Stack-Management Strategy for NLHE

As everyone knows, one of the appeals of OLP is that you can multitable. A related benefit that I have not seen discussed, however, is switching tables in order to reduce your stack size. The situation I am thinking of is you buy in for your standard amount, hit some big pots and suddenly have a huge stack. For whatever reason, you decide you don’t want to have this entire stack at risk. Now, if you leave the table you have to wait a half hour (at least on the site I play) in order to rejoin the table with a different stack size. My idea is that, given the many additional tables available, you simply leave the big-stack table and start again on a new table with your desired buy-in.

Am interested in thoughts on this. Please note, there are two separate considerations (both of which are fair game for this thread-but it would help if you bore these differences in mind): (a) assuming the stack-reduction strategy IS the desired one, what do you think; (b) Strategically, what are the consideration in wanting to avoid playing with too deep a stack?

stompin 09-22-2007 11:51 AM

Re: For OLP only: A Stack-Management Strategy for NLHE

its called ratholing.

A) yes if you cant join the same table you have to join another one

B) bankroll management / less variance

eleventy 09-22-2007 11:59 AM

If you are better than others at the table why leave?

brianmarc 09-22-2007 12:01 PM

Re: For Online Poker only: A Stack-Management Strategy for NLHE

[ QUOTE ]
its called ratholing.

A) yes if you cant join the same table you have to join another one

B) bankroll management / less variance

[/ QUOTE ]

Re A: Great, so now we have a name for the strategy. I like i. Tx.

Re B: Not sure of your point. Pray elucidate.

brianmarc 09-22-2007 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point-but what if you;re not? Or if game texture changes? example: In $400 game I bought in for min, won a few babies and then doubled up twice against a really weak, aggro player. He busted out and left. Now the game was much tougher and I knew enough to know that I was no way near the best player, but I wouldn't mind continuing as it could improve my game, but only if I could cut my stack by about 75%. No way to do it-hence an ideal ratholing scenario.

bored 09-22-2007 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A related benefit that I have not seen discussed, however, is switching tables in order to reduce your stack size.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Losing all 09-22-2007 02:34 PM

XXXX this wasn't cross-post worthy. in fact XXXXXXXX this wasn't post worthy. *

The X's are family fued sound effects, not calling you a [censored] face or anything.

DMoogle 09-22-2007 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point-but what if you;re not? Or if game texture changes? example: In $400 game I bought in for min, won a few babies and then doubled up twice against a really weak, aggro player. He busted out and left. Now the game was much tougher and I knew enough to know that I was no way near the best player, but I wouldn't mind continuing as it could improve my game, but only if I could cut my stack by about 75%. No way to do it-hence an ideal ratholing scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]Um... most online poker pros and semi-pros don't sit at tables where they aren't a favorite.

Ratholing is unethical.

RoundTower 09-22-2007 02:48 PM

I think this should be moved. Not sure which is the appropriate forum. Did you try here?

brianmarc 09-22-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[Ratholing is unethical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says?