Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   200 NL, trash from the BB. I'm a calling station. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=543426)

SABR42 11-11-2007 05:28 AM

200 NL, trash from the BB. I\'m a calling station.

Poker Stars, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

MP1: $259
MP2: $188
CO: $84.40
BTN: $172.30
SB: $198
Hero (BB): $200
UTG: $198
UTG+1: $358.15

Pre-Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $2, 3 folds, BTN calls $2, SB calls $1, Hero checks

Flop: ($8) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $6</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $6, UTG+1 folds

Turn: ($20) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $15</font>, BTN calls $15

River: ($50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $26</font>, Hero calls $26

Thoughts?

SABR42 11-11-2007 05:29 AM

Re: 200 NL, trash from the BB. I\'m a calling station.

Forgot to mention: villain 27/10 over like 40 hands. I got nothing more on him.

BigDan9 11-11-2007 05:44 AM

I think the flop call is marginal. On a semi-coordinated board, TPNK doesn't look too bright. I'd need to feel pretty sure that BTN could be betting something less than TP here to even call on the flop. Even if you happen to be ahead, there are a lot of cards that could ruin your hand on the turn and/or river. Including an Ace...

I don't like betting into someone on basically a bluff unless I already know that they're capable of laying down a hand in the face of a scare card. It doesn't sound like you had any reason to believe that here.

A couple of blanks (of which there aren't many) might have persuaded me to reluctantly to call down, but I think I'm checking the turn and done with the hand if BTN bets again.

Das Budrick 11-11-2007 05:47 AM

this is a pretty non-standard line, could you walk us through your thought process a little? the calling station part i get but why the turn bet, as a bluff?

i think either way i fold the river, seems -ev to me

SABR42 11-11-2007 05:53 AM

My thoughts on the hand:

On the flop I have a mediocre hand so I check. Button bets after 3 checks, so he doesn't necesarily have anything. I call as I figure I have the best hand a lot.

On the turn, my bet is kind of a bluff. I might get him to fold a slightly better hand than mine (Q with higher kicker). At the same time, I protect vs a draw.

On the river, I figure he will usually check behind his better Q-x and A-x so his betting range is polarized towards strong hands or missed draws, so I call.

ASPoker8 11-11-2007 06:04 AM

river is thin but sure since his range is generally v polarized

Although some types of unknown clowns vbet Ax on the river here frequently

PhOENiX_111 11-11-2007 06:27 AM

results?

SABR42 11-11-2007 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
results?

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain had 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I won.

veryblind 11-11-2007 06:52 AM

nice win, but I don't think this is a +ev play in general.
when overcard falls on turn, you bet and he calls, i think you should generally shut down and fold to river bet.

i think by betting 2/3 pot on turn, you hide your hand but you also hide strength of villain's hand from you. you don't know whether he's (incorrectly) drawing or calling with better hand.

if i don't fold flop, i would bet 1/2 pot on turn to see what villain does. i expect better hands to raise and draws to call. either way, i have better read on villain's hand.

thoughts?

RyanCMU 11-11-2007 06:55 AM

I fold flop. I like turn and river play.