Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   ($60 Turbo) ryanghall inspired me to post this JJ (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=254573)

durron597 11-07-2006 10:07 AM

($60 Turbo) ryanghall inspired me to post this JJ

Villian was one of the very few clueful lags I see in SnGs. I'm not sure his style was the best but I thought he was playing very well for an aggro player.

edit: I think there are 3 reasonable lines here. please try to comment on each of them in your replies:

1) call pre, c/c, c/c, c/f; cons to this: he may put us on OESD that whiffed and try to push us off the best hand on river with ace high
2) call pre, c/r flop, fold to allin; cons to this: if he just calls what are you doing oop on the turn?
3) reraise pre, fold to allin: cons to this: we sometimes fold the best hand to AK or AQ or TT, also what do we do if he just calls on this board? stick it in?

edit2: another line:

4) lead flop, fold to a raise. question: what's turn plan if called?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

MP (t652)
Button (t1290)
SB (t1715)
Hero (t4268)
UTG (t5575)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t250, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t900) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t600</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t600.

Turn: (t2100) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t1000</font>, Hero calls t1000.

River: (t4100) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks expecting a check behind, but planning to fold.

bennies 11-07-2006 10:32 AM

Re: ($60 Turbo) ryanghall inspired me to post this JJ

Interesting hand, I'll just comment on the river.

I think a clueful villain will bet/push the river if he has a house, or, as a bluff if he has nothing (trying to get Hero to fold a T, 99 or JJ). It's probably close, but I think villain will be bluffing often enough that Hero should call the river, despite putting his stack on the line.

ManChild 11-07-2006 11:35 AM

curious, why not raise the flop, or moreso shove the turn?

dave1mo 11-07-2006 11:37 AM

I raise the flop. Stack sizes make this hand soooo friggin awkward though.

speedyg 11-07-2006 11:40 AM

I'm c/r the flop and holding my breath if this guy is truly LAG.

Are you just calling the flop bet because villian bet the flop into you and the short stack sb?

Snarf 11-07-2006 11:47 AM

D,

It appears that you believe your overpair is good preflop. (That he doesn't have QQ+.)

Why not just shove preflop? Would he call AK/AQ?

Even if not...I can't decide - tho I'm not sure I like the line for the hand given the growing pot size and stack sizes.

I like the 'value' line, tho...I dunno...

I'm gonna think on it...

dave1mo 11-07-2006 11:48 AM

Shove 4k into a 1k pot with the big stack in it?

Pudge714 11-07-2006 11:53 AM

Three betting preflop is certainly an option.
As played lead the turn or bet fold the river.

Snarf 11-07-2006 11:54 AM

D,

Would you also shutdown if the river was a A, K or Q?

What if its a 9? or 6?

I think I like the hand up until the turn. Too many scare cards on the river, and really you probably have the best hand at that point often enough.

I think the turn - you either have to fold, or if you're going to check into him 'for value' you need to c/r AI.

The villian could put you on OESD and bet the turn with a lot of air here, IMHO and you're probably good moresothan not.

Tho I can see/understand not wanting to broke on the hand and thus cold-calling the turn - but ... yeah...I just dunno man.

I'm still not sure, but I think you have to make up your mind on the turn and play accordingly there.

Eagles 11-07-2006 11:55 AM

I make raise to 1200 pf. With the intention of folding to a shove. There is a lot of dead money in the middle and you likely have the best hand however due to the deepness of stacks it gives you a chance to get away if he has an overpair. Sometimes he will shove AK and you will fold the best hand but this seems like a good line to take.