Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Quiet poker night? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549528)

dismalstudent99 11-19-2007 03:56 AM

Quiet poker night?

Does anyone have any experience trying to insulate poker-night noise from the family/roommates/neighbors?

(I mean, aside from moving to the garage, saying "shh!" more, cutting off the beer, or ending the night sooner.)

My particular problem isn't so much with an adjacent wall or shared floor/ceiling, but rather noise traveling down the hallway.

I have my poker game at the kitchen table, and I have a roommate that has a room around the corner, a total of about 25' from the table.

I haven't gotten any real complaints from her, but I would like to take pre-emptive action to head off any future issues.

So I'd like to hear some ideas and experiences.

Thicker doors for the bedrooms? Acoustical tile over the table? Strategically placed bookshelves?

Tell me what you've tried, or would try in this situation.

garcia1000 11-19-2007 04:06 AM

Re: Quiet poker night?

Darken the lighting. Generally, people are less noisy when it is darker.

Play meditation music. It is hard to be rowdy when an Indian guru is chanting Sanskrit verses to the sound of waterfalls or Oms in the background. Get the players in a relaxed state of consciousness.

dismalstudent99 11-19-2007 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get the players in a relaxed state of consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would probably work, but it sounds less fun... and less profitable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sound deflecting/dampening?

jjshabado 11-19-2007 04:39 AM

Make sure you've got something soft like a thick table cloth or blanket on the table. We found that helped a lot since chips make lots of noise.

yeotaJMU 11-19-2007 05:27 AM

why is your roomate asleep/not with you? are you playing until like 6 in the am or something?

PokerXanadu 11-19-2007 11:00 AM

Buy her some ear plugs.

PantsOnFire 11-19-2007 11:14 AM

For acoustical damping, you can put up a very heavy blanket or drape from ceiling to floor at the entrance to the hall.

Lottery Larry 11-19-2007 11:21 AM

Where's the bathroom that the game uses?

Hang a thick blanket or something in between the bedroom and the game noise (two, if you can do it) to muffle/deflect sound.

mr.spam 11-19-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy her some ear plugs.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
or make sure she goes out on those nights or something, or that she joins or just watches and is social if she doesn't want to play or whatever...

BrianBigNFun 11-19-2007 02:18 PM

pay her to go under the table?