Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Averaging Grades (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556966)

Kaj 11-29-2007 05:53 PM

Re: Averaging Grades

[ QUOTE ]
she's not a math person. that's why she's not going to be a math teacher. she's a terrific piano player. ... haven't you ever taken a class that you had no interest in taking and were unsure of how to do something? there's no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

So she loves music but is so poor at math she can't even assign grades in her own class. I guess you just proved why just because you aren't a "math person" or math teacher, you still need basic mathematical skills.

I'm not an English teacher but still think its important to understand English.

NNNNOOOOONAN 11-29-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
she's not a math person. that's why she's not going to be a math teacher. she's a terrific piano player. ... haven't you ever taken a class that you had no interest in taking and were unsure of how to do something? there's no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

So she loves music but is so poor at math she can't even assign grades in her own class. I guess you just proved why just because you aren't a "math person" or math teacher, you still need basic mathematical skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is such a dumb statement i can't even come up with a witty thing to say about it.

madnak 11-29-2007 06:59 PM

Being good at something doesn't automatically qualify a person to teach it. Teaching is a separate skillset.

Nielsio 11-29-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I CAN HAS LANG WISH?

vhawk01 11-29-2007 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Noonan,

There's something that the above (serious) replies neglected, which is that the maximum score on each type of assignment might not be identical. In fact, they usually aren't, unless the instructor has been careful to construct the grades that way. For example, if the tests are graded out of 100 points, but the quizzes only 20 points, the above formula will NOT work.

You need to convert all the scores to the same range, multiply them by their individual weights, and add up the result. The easiest way to convert all the grades to the same range is to just divide each score by the maximum possible score for that type of grade.

An example:

Tests: 45%, maximum test grade is 100 pts.
Quizzes: 20%, maximum quiz grade is 20 pts.
Participation/Attendance: 15%, Max participation/attendance grade is 10 pt.
Online Assignments: 10%, Max online Assignments grade is 100 pts.
Concert Reports: 10%, Max concert report is 5 pts.

Assume a student has an 85 test average, a 15 quiz average, a 10 part./att. grade, a 95 online grade, and a 4 concert report grade.

That student's final grade would be given by:

(85/100)*0.45 +
(15/20)*0.2 +
(10/10)*0.15 +
(95/100)*0.1 +
(4/5)*0.1 = 0.86 = 86%

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL (I'm assuming this is mocking)

ItalianFX 11-29-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Noonan,

There's something that the above (serious) replies neglected, which is that the maximum score on each type of assignment might not be identical. In fact, they usually aren't, unless the instructor has been careful to construct the grades that way. For example, if the tests are graded out of 100 points, but the quizzes only 20 points, the above formula will NOT work.

You need to convert all the scores to the same range, multiply them by their individual weights, and add up the result. The easiest way to convert all the grades to the same range is to just divide each score by the maximum possible score for that type of grade.

An example:

Tests: 45%, maximum test grade is 100 pts.
Quizzes: 20%, maximum quiz grade is 20 pts.
Participation/Attendance: 15%, Max participation/attendance grade is 10 pt.
Online Assignments: 10%, Max online Assignments grade is 100 pts.
Concert Reports: 10%, Max concert report is 5 pts.

Assume a student has an 85 test average, a 15 quiz average, a 10 part./att. grade, a 95 online grade, and a 4 concert report grade.

That student's final grade would be given by:

(85/100)*0.45 +
(15/20)*0.2 +
(10/10)*0.15 +
(95/100)*0.1 +
(4/5)*0.1 = 0.86 = 86%

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I was assuming all grades were out of 100, which is what you did, but one step backwards.

MoP_86 11-29-2007 07:17 PM

Is this whole thread a level?

Allinlife 11-29-2007 07:21 PM

I wish the public education system would teach more practical math stuff (well very similar to EV calculations we do in poker) that we can take advantage of many times through the course of our life when making various decisions.

tshort 11-30-2007 02:08 AM

Borodog,

I am sure you have experience with this:

What is the procedure if the test averages are around 40%?

vhawk01 11-30-2007 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this whole thread a level?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I am convinced it is someone posts something that makes me doubt it. Like I read OP, didnt think he was levelling, read the responses and his reubttal, figured he was, then read some outrage from OP, so maybe he isnt, read Boro's post, back to levelling, I really have no idea whats going on. I'm treating the whole thing like a level.