Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   phill hellmuth and checking in the dark (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519094)

qwertyas 10-09-2007 12:35 PM

phill hellmuth and checking in the dark

why does he always do it? i've always wondered why he does it so often? Oo

Spence 10-09-2007 12:42 PM

Re: phill hellmuth and checking in the dark

He does it to try to negate the positional advantage his opponent has. By checking in the dark the opponent gets no information as to whether he hit the board.

qwertyas 10-09-2007 02:08 PM

hmmm ic thanks but wouldnt it be a better idea to see the flop and then check just incase he would want to bet out or is by not knowing what will come out and checking deny for information?

sapol 10-09-2007 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmmm ic thanks but wouldnt it be a better idea to see the flop and then check just incase he would want to bet out or is by not knowing what will come out and checking deny for information?

[/ QUOTE ]

you will miss the flop more often than you will hit it

The B 10-09-2007 02:21 PM

it's just Phil trying to keep the pots small...

Rottersod 10-09-2007 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you will miss the flop more often than you will hit it

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but that means his opponent will check behind more times than he will bet and Phil will have allowed him a free card.

sapol 10-09-2007 03:15 PM

I think the pros of taking a free card OOP are bigger than the cons. You're getting 4 cards for the price of 3 OOP.

SNOWBALL 10-09-2007 03:47 PM

against other very good players, checking in the dark is always a mistake. Phil does it because he has fancy play syndrome. David has a chapter on this in his book <u>Getting The Best of It</u>

post1958 10-09-2007 05:15 PM

I don't play live that much, but I was in Vegas two weeks ago and in about 15 hours of play, I bet 10 people checked in the dark.

Hollywade 10-09-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play live that much, but I was in Vegas two weeks ago and in about 15 hours of play, I bet 10 people checked in the dark.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is the typical moron does it because he saw Phil Hellmuth do it on television without having any idea why.

My guess is that Phil does it because if he has already completed his action before the cards come out, the next guy has to act without really being able to observe any reaction from Phil.