Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Does anyone here spend half their income on rent? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=497942)

otnemem 09-10-2007 04:46 PM

Does anyone here spend half their income on rent?

Long story short: Broke up with live-in girlfriend. We split a 1-bed, but she doesn't want to stay there. For Hoboken, it's a steal, so I want to keep it. Only problem is I'd be spending exactly half of my take-home income on rent with heat/hw. I have to pay electric, cable etc myself.

I'm pretty sure this is more common in the NY-Metro area than elsewhere. So does anyone fork over this much of their income on rent? Bad idea?

Claunchy 09-10-2007 04:50 PM

Re: Does anyone here spend half their income on rent?

If you don't have a car payment, and you don't spend much money on stuff like restaurants/drugs/alcohol, you can probably pull it off. I lived like this through much of college.

But if you have any other viable options, I would definitely try to pursue those because being super-broke all the time sucks ass.

Badger 09-10-2007 04:53 PM

Sounds crazy to me, but I am only paying about 5% of my income towards rent. Austin is a lot different than NYC, and I'm pretty sure that ratio is low for Austin as well. I'm interested in hearing what percentage of income OOT is spending on rent.

GovmentCheese 09-10-2007 04:53 PM

I believe the standard metric is to not spend more than 1/3 of your take home income.

solids 09-10-2007 04:53 PM

Yeah, half of my paycheck goes to rent every month. It's horrible. Not exactly a bad idea, but you likely won't save much money.

Also, sorry about the gf. One of my friends (a girl) is in an unhealthy relationship with a guy mostly due to the fact that she only has to pay half rent.

otnemem 09-10-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have a car payment, and you don't spend much money on stuff like restaurants/drugs/alcohol, you can probably pull it off. I lived like this through much of college.

But if you have any other viable options, I would definitely try to pursue those because being super-broke all the time sucks ass.

[/ QUOTE ]
No car payments, very little outstanding credit. I don't do drugs, but I do like going out to eat/drink. That would be my biggest problem I think. The thing is, there are only really two places I could live where the commute to my office is tolerable (and I know people). So I'm thinking for that reason it might be worth it to eat it.

Sykes 09-10-2007 04:54 PM

new york is such a [censored] joke. same with Tokyo

mason55 09-10-2007 04:54 PM

when i was living in the DC suburbs i was spending 1/2 my take home on rent. it wasn't awful, i never felt like a broke ass, but i didn't really save anything either. but i spent way too much.

also, it depends on your take home, if you're bringing home $6k/mo and spend 1/2 on rent you still ahve a lot of money to live with. Not so if you're spending half of your $1500 monthly take home on rent.

DonkeyKongSr 09-10-2007 04:59 PM

I'm at 36% of take home pay right now. After car payment and utilities, I'm around 50%. I have no idea how I'm ever going to be able to buy a place around here when I'm already at half my income from shelter and transportation as a renter. It's this math that keeps making me think I need to figure something else out for income if I want to own anything in the next 5 years. It's not like I'm not making much money, it's just that it's so expensive in SoCal.

Kneel B4 Zod 09-10-2007 05:00 PM

spending lots of money on rent sucks. I would try to find a new place in the same hood, assuming you can find reasonable people to live with, and dont mind living with people.

edit: what does your place cost, like $1,500? and a comparable 2 bedroom would be like $1800 or $2000? if it's a choice between paying $1500 ish for 1 bedroom and living along or $1000 and moving in with someone, I guess it depends on how ok you are with that person.

also, if as a single dude you want to live with other people or not, which has pluses and minuses.