Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   10/20 - KK - tough board; overcall river? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=232812)

Hoi Polloi 10-10-2006 02:33 PM

10/20 - KK - tough board; overcall river?

HJ is 35/25/1.1 over 125 hands. Cautious post-flop.
BTN is 42/15/1.4 over 500+. A loser in the game and can bluff wildly or be a calling station as his mood (I suppose) dictates.

I'm in the SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

10/20 LHE 6-max, 6 players

Pre-flop: 1 folds, HJ opens, 1 fold, BTN calls, Hero 3-bets, 1 fold, 2 calls.

Flop (7SB, 3 players): A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets, 2 calls.

Turn (5BB, 3 players): T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, 2 calls.

River (8BB, 3 players): 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, HJ bets, BTN calls, Hero?

Do you make this overcall?

admiralfluff 10-10-2006 04:56 PM

Re: 10/20 - KK - tough board; overcall river?

I dislike the turn bet against these guys. I think I'd check and call a check-bet or bet-call and fold anything else on the turn. I wouldn't overcall the river either.

Keepitsimple 10-10-2006 05:19 PM

I think either b/f or c/f is way better than c/c on this board.

MarkD 10-10-2006 05:43 PM

I don't understand a river check here at all. I would be betting for sure, expecting to get called by worse hands.

Additionally, I think betting the turn >> checking the turn.

admiralfluff 10-10-2006 05:50 PM

On the river, I agree with you.

I think we're getting raised on the turn more often then we get called by a worse hand, and we usually can't fold (we can fold to a bet raise raise). If the turn went check check bet, call fold; I would likely donk the river.

MarkD 10-10-2006 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think we're getting raised on the turn more often then we get called by a worse hand, and we usually can't fold (we can fold to a bet raise raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be out of touch with this game, and I admittedly suck at poker, but on this board, against these opponents, I don't mind getting raised on the turn "that" much because we are often getting raised by worse hands (draws) as well as better hands and we have decent equity here (that's my instinct talking, I haven't stoved it).

I'm looking to take this hand to showdown against these guys - I'm not looking to fold it.

(Obviously, if the actions goes bet, raise, cold-call, I call and the river goes, check, bet, call... I'm going to fold unimproved... but you get my point).

roy_miami 10-10-2006 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind getting raised on the turn "that" much because we are often getting raised by worse hands (draws) as well as better hands and we have decent equity here

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt anybody is raising an Ace high board on the turn when it was 3-bet preflop from the SB without being able to beat KK.

Scary_Tiger 10-11-2006 12:07 PM

I think I c/f the river to HJ (regardless of whether Button calls) and call a river bet from Button. What sucks is HJ overcalling with his Ax. But that's life.