Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Two tipping scenarios that have been bugging me (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=508728)

Weir 09-25-2007 12:36 AM

Two tipping scenarios that have been bugging me

1. Mr. Chinese food delivery man. There is no minimum $ order or delivery charge as far as i can tell from the menu. However, I order an $8 dish and it comes and the bill says $11. It is freaking good, so I order it again. It is a different price, something like $12. I don't really mind paying this much, and i don't want to hassle over the price because they really barely speak english. am i required to tip? i haven't and part of me feels bad, but i think paying $15 for random delivery dinner would make me feel worse.

2. Mr. Italian food man. I call in an order and come by and pick it up. I never do this so i don't know protocol. There is a tip line on the receipt, which isn't suprising b/c it is a restaurant, but i don't tip b/c i figure i am the one who delivered it to myself. Correct?

Alobar 09-25-2007 12:38 AM

Re: Two tipping scenarios that have been bugging me

yay a tipping thread!

1. Tip the guy, he delivered your food, if you dont wanna pay $14 then dont have it delivered

2. No, there is no reason to tip

NT! 09-25-2007 12:58 AM

all delivery men forget how to speak english real quick when you start asking why you're getting ripped off, or why it took an hour and a half to get your food. i would pay him, then call the place and ask why the f you are paying more and more for the same dish. if you don't get a good answer (or a free meal) take your business elsewhere.

regarding the 2nd one, very few people tip on pickup orders at restaurants. i usually pay cash and at least tip any change i get, because i used to work in a kitchen, but it's not egregiously bad not to tip.

sledghammer 09-25-2007 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Mr. Chinese food delivery man. There is no minimum $ order or delivery charge as far as i can tell from the menu. However, I order an $8 dish and it comes and the bill says $11. It is freaking good, so I order it again. It is a different price, something like $12. I don't really mind paying this much, and i don't want to hassle over the price because they really barely speak english. am i required to tip? i haven't and part of me feels bad, but i think paying $15 for random delivery dinner would make me feel worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
How can you expect to have food delivered and not tip? You should be giving him 15$, though if you order from there again the driver will certainly take his sweet time. Even if he is an hour and a half late, you should give 20$ and apologize if you want food from there again.

swingdoc 09-25-2007 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if he is an hour and a half late, you should give 20$ and apologize if you want food from there again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Yes, it is quite the privilege to be able to order delivery from a restaurant.

OP - don't worry about tipping if you pick up the food. Let me make sure I understand the first scenario. You ordered delivery and assumed (because the menu didn't otherwise state) that there was no charge for delivery? In reality there was a charge for deliver (ldo) so you didn't tip? This is wrong. Always get a total over the phone when you order delivery. Difference in price is sometimes lunch vs dinner pricing even if meal is exactly the same.

PokerFink 09-25-2007 04:59 AM

Always tip a delivery person. Never [censored] with people who handle your food.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-25-2007 05:39 AM

how the [censored] does he find your house if he doesnt speak english?

StevieG 09-25-2007 07:21 AM

1. This is not difficult. When you call in your order, ask the price.

2. How long are you going to wait for someone to suck your [censored]?

Mr.Pink 09-25-2007 09:02 AM

I don't tip; don't believe in it

z28dreams 09-25-2007 10:08 AM

Sorry to hijack, but this gives me an excuse to ask a tipping question that probably came up in talking with a friend.

You goto a bar. Your friend is bartending. If he was not there, the total bill should have been something like $40 + tip. He charges you for only a few drinks - and the bill comes out to $15. What is your tip for him?

My friend argued that we should go with option B, essentially giving our friend all the money that we saved instead of the bar. This seemed silly to me though, because I am then getting 0 hookup, and might as well use any bartender.