Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How can poker be so easy, yet so hard? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504905)

Peleus 09-19-2007 09:13 PM

How can poker be so easy, yet so hard?

I seem to go through this cycle a lot.

I just moved up, I go on a heater, and I'm on an upswing. Went up about 9 buyins in 1000 hands. Poker is good, every decision is right, or at least working, people folding to your cbets when you want them to, paying you off when you have a hand. Poker is easy, every decision you have confidence in.

Then it all stops, the heater ends and people start calling down those cbets, every monster is folded, no matter what you can't get it right. The buyins start dropping, those AA's get cracked, and poker is hard again.

Anyone got any tips for coming down off a heater? I'm trying to drop back down a level, so any bad play I'm doing has less of an impact on me, or is absorbed more. Should I keep doing what I was doing during the time everything was fine? Is it just one of those things the cbets are getting called down now, or should you adjust you're game?

How do you deal with coming off a heater, and getting back to grinding when poker becomes hard again?

Snoman13 09-19-2007 09:30 PM

Re: How can poker be so easy, yet so hard?

You can't move down a level, if the only reason is to conserve you BR if you "got a feelin' that a cooler is a comin". That following the same logic that you should bet on black, if the past 7 spins have landed red.

You need to evaluate your play, and continue making +EV moves as much as possible, that is what will contribute to your winrate, no matter the level.

eMbAh 09-20-2007 08:47 AM

I think you should stop looking at it like it's cycles, but just look at every hand individually

Gomer_Pyle 09-20-2007 11:01 AM

yeah cuz there is no cycles

Crazy Porto 09-20-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

vin17 09-20-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
leveling? I hope.

[ QUOTE ]

yes, because there are no cycles...

[/ QUOTE ]

hallo! 09-20-2007 04:34 PM

no, there are no cycles

HokieGreg 09-20-2007 05:36 PM

but are their bicycles?

insyder19 09-21-2007 09:25 AM

Look at it in the long run. Don't look at every single hand.

AA can lose 10 times in a row, however, if they lose after you were dealt them 100 times then you are doing something wrong.

I just look at how well I am doing for 50k hands.

mykey1961 09-21-2007 09:40 PM

If I don't look at every single hand, how do I know which hands not to look at?