Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   durrr discovers cheating at WPT foxwoods FT (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545491)

ohead 11-13-2007 08:04 PM

durrr discovers cheating at WPT foxwoods FT

Tom "Durr" Dwan has asked for a new deck after discovering that every ace in the current deck is marked. A new setup has been produced and Dwan is now engaging in an soliloquy about the sketchiness of live poker. "You think online poker is less sketchy?" Nenad Medic asks the internet icon.

source:
http://www.pokerlistings.com/live-to...s/live-updates

I sniped this from the gogog durrrr-thread but I think it deserves its own thread.

Rob121 11-13-2007 08:09 PM

Re: durrr discovers cheating at WPT foxwoods FT

wtf

lennie257 11-13-2007 08:10 PM

durrrr THINKS he discovers cheating at WPT foxwoods FT. Innocent till proven guilty, blah blah blah...

jogsxyz 11-13-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
durrrr THINKS he discovers cheating at WPT foxwoods FT. Innocent till proven guilty, blah blah blah...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's in a court of law, not public opinion.

Xander 11-13-2007 08:17 PM

We've reached the end of the level and the blinds are moooving on up without benefit of a break. Meanwhile, players have noticed a crease in another ace and have requested another new setup, making the second time we've had to change decks due to marked cards. Odds on who's doing the marking?

Toro 11-13-2007 08:17 PM

I just posted this in the other thread too.

When I was there yesterday, Freddy Deeb complained that there was a mark on the Ace of Spades. The tournament staff took the card away for a few secs and then the dealer starting shuffling without it, not realizing he was short a card.

They sheepishly brought it back, supposedly having removed the offending mark. Deeb wasn't happy with this and asked for a new setup and emphasized he wanted a brand new deck.

lennie257 11-13-2007 08:20 PM

I know, but we haven't seen the cards and have only durrrr's judgment at the moment. I suppose what's really bothering me is remembering how during the height of the AP scandal, pretty much anyone who had ever won a tournament there started getting accused of being a superuser, and this has a danger of developing into a similar kind of 'who's the cheater' gossip scandal when we don't really know what's going on.

poincaraux 11-13-2007 08:20 PM

Mentioned this in the other thread, but ..

[ QUOTE ]
We've reached the end of the level and the blinds are moooving on up without benefit of a break. Meanwhile, players have noticed a crease in another ace and have requested another new setup, making the second time we've had to change decks due to marked cards. Odds on who's doing the marking?

[/ QUOTE ]

(pokerlistings update again)

onyourflopz 11-13-2007 08:21 PM

Curious how Nenad got relative about the sketchiness of online poker almost as if to defend live poker. I'm not sure but I'm going to go ahead and say that he owes someone a lot of money and had to rig the deck to ensure he would win.

killsadie 11-13-2007 08:22 PM

nice cover up durr

yaaam1484 11-13-2007 08:22 PM

this looks like an inside job since a lot of decks are marked.. the guy who benefited of this is probably out

blah_blah 11-13-2007 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Curious how Nenad got relative about the sketchiness of online poker almost as if to defend live poker. I'm not sure but I'm going to go ahead and say that he owes someone a lot of money and had to rig the deck to ensure he would win.

[/ QUOTE ]

shut the [censored] up you retard

PITTM 11-13-2007 08:24 PM

HE WHO SMELT IT DEALT IT AMIRITE?

rounder00 11-13-2007 08:24 PM

On, the bright side, I'm sure poker is well on it's way to being legalized and open. With scott tom and absolute, the wcoop being a multi-accounter, and rigged decks in WPT final tables, we are well on our way. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Alobar 11-13-2007 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldnt this be easy to figure out whos doing it since the tournament has access to the hole card cams and can see whos been dealt the marked cards?

SuperSnort 11-13-2007 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldnt this be easy to figure out whos doing it since the tournament has access to the hole card cams and can see whos been dealt the marked cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

*dramatic music*

lastas 11-13-2007 08:31 PM

just to make it clear to those who's missed it.

i think its marked by folding one or two of the edges of the aces (by a player), not an acual marking on the back of the cards.

burns-1986 11-13-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<3 nvg

Labarde 11-13-2007 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahhaahha

apefish 11-13-2007 08:41 PM

omgomg I think I discovered a conspiracy to change math as we know it.

Hand #30: Mike Vela Wins a 7.4 Million Pot Against Mike White
Hand #30 - Nenad Medic has the button in seat 1, Dwan raises from the cutoff to 165,000, Vela calls from the small blind, and White calls from the big blind. The flop comes Q85, Vela bets 410,000, White raises to 1,000,000, Dwan folds, and Vela calls. There is already more than 2.5 million in the pot.

The turn card is the A, Vela checks, White bets 1.2 million, and Vela tanks for several minutes before he calls. He then checks in the dark before the river.

The river card is the 9, and the action is on White. He checks behind.

Vela shows his cards, and we know that one of them was the Q. The other one was reportedly a jack, giving Vela a pair of queens. Mike White folds, and Vela pulls in a huge pot worth 7.4 million -- and Mike Vela is our new chipleader.

rakemeplz 11-13-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just posted this in the other thread too.

When I was there yesterday, Freddy Deeb complained that there was a mark on the Ace of Spades. The tournament staff took the card away for a few secs and then the dealer starting shuffling without it, not realizing he was short a card.

They sheepishly brought it back, supposedly having removed the offending mark. Deeb wasn't happy with this and asked for a new setup and emphasized he wanted a brand new deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow so they just tried to remove the mark on the ace of spades? How would they even do this? This comes off as incompetent to me, but possibly/probably I'm ignorant about these live poker situations.

grando 11-13-2007 08:47 PM

2.5M in antes after the flop obv

BJ Nemeth 11-13-2007 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vela shows his cards, and we know that one of them was the Q. The other one was reportedly a jack, giving Vela a pair of queens. Mike White folds, and Vela pulls in a huge pot worth 7.4 million -- and Mike Vela is our new chipleader.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, that pot was worth just under 5 million. Our guy tracking the chip counts corrected me, and I fixed the update about two minutes after it was posted.

apefish 11-13-2007 08:59 PM

No problem BJ. Figured as such and appreciate the efforts.
I was just throwing it in as a funny in the conspiracy line of thinking.

Thanks for that clarification.

cosimaninja 11-13-2007 09:02 PM

so Bj is the person who does the updates for cardplayer?

52s 11-13-2007 09:49 PM

I'm presuming the "marks" on the aces in these cases are small dents, not minor smudge marks that could be wiped off.

If that was the case in the Freddy Deeb incident...

Well, it wouldn't shock me. A majority of rooms are lazy as [censored] when it comes to going over their set-ups and it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case here as well.

Foxwoods was likely using already used decks instead of breaking fresh setups out of the plastic wrappers.

Also, if anyone knows, what brand cards are they using? Still using Gemacos?

corpseartist 11-13-2007 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm presuming the "marks" on the aces in these cases are the ones winning races for the chasers in these places, look at they're faces they are probably racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

cpitt398 11-13-2007 10:25 PM

there are a couple likely scenarios that wouldnt involve cheating from someone at this final table

One would be the brand of cards. The 2006 WSOP cards were Copac and so bad that eventually they stopped doing new set ups. The excuse was that the cards were all marked up so bad that one couldnt be differentiated from another.

These cards could be the same way but only the Aces are getting pointed out bc they are what people are worried about.

How did Durrr notice all the Aces were marked.? Did he get the dealer to pull them all out?

Also if they werent using brand new cards they could have been marked from a cash game. I wouldnt imagine they wouldnt use new cards but Ive been more surprised at card room procedures before

poker1O1 11-13-2007 10:35 PM

Very interesting. Would you be able to see a marked ace in the deck? Wouldn't burned cards eliminate this? Or would you only be able to see a marked ace when someone is holding one?

cpitt398 11-13-2007 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting. Would you be able to see a marked ace in the deck? Wouldn't burned cards eliminate this? Or would you only be able to see a marked ace when someone is holding one?

[/ QUOTE ]

holding it.

Its why a lot of people that have been around for awhile keep their hands covering as much of the cards as possible and keep the upcards covering downcards in stud

OOPSYDOOPSYBRO 11-13-2007 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahhaahha

[/ QUOTE ]

cheet 11-13-2007 11:25 PM

Pretty weird that Nenad Medic, who is sponsored by Full Tilt, is saying online poker is sketchy at a televised final table.

Way to take your endorsement seriously

WutRUTryin2Hit 11-13-2007 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty weird that Nenad Medic, who is sponsored by Full Tilt, is saying online poker is sketchy at a televised final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah cause the WPT is totally gonna cover accusations of marked cards heavily when they air the episode and not just snip it out.

GTL 11-13-2007 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd much rather know that he is honest and not holding anything back. then you can trust his endorsement.

Joe Tall 11-13-2007 11:43 PM

Cut your f-ck!ng fingernails when you play live poker, you internet poker noobs!

Apathy 11-14-2007 12:11 AM

I find marked aces all the time in every 10k event I play.. its sick. Ive started covering my cards with both hands as soon as I get them.

In fallsview it was so bad I could do a 2 card shuffle with my cards and tell if I had an ace based on how well they shuffled against the felt before I looked.

EWS87 11-14-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I find marked aces all the time in every 10k event I play.. its sick. Ive started covering my cards with both hands as soon as I get them.

In fallsview it was so bad I could do a 2 card shuffle with my cards and tell if I had an ace based on how well they shuffled against the felt before I looked.

[/ QUOTE ]

how unethical would it be to not report this but use it to your advantage?

bottomset 11-14-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are joking right?

stinkypete 11-14-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

about as unethical as marking them

Gonso 11-14-2007 12:27 AM

Every deck of cards used for more than 4 downs seems to look like crap using Gemacos