Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   THEORY QUESTION: Which flops are best to float on? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377072)

Paul Thomson 04-12-2007 05:32 PM

THEORY QUESTION: Which flops are best to float on?

Assume that the Villain is the kinda person who you should float. He raises a large % of his hands, has a 100% continuation bet stat, but almost never double barrells and gives up on the turn a ton.

Villain opens in CO. You call on the button and the blinds fold.

Rate the following flops in order from your favorite to worse to float on:
A) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
B) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
C) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
D) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
E) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

In other words, do you like wet or dry flops to float on?

orange 04-12-2007 05:37 PM

Re: THEORY QUESTION: Which flops are best to float on?

depends what hand i have. if you mean like a pure float (ie. like total air) then i'd float the K27/572 boards more probably.

i would flat call (float) with hands like 88 on the JJ2 board and probably check the turn behind (sometimes bet).

i like raising the A43[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] board alot and the J7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 board. puts some nasty decisions for villan.

Casper05 04-12-2007 06:17 PM

K27, A43, 572, J76, JJ2. I'd raise all of these some, but it kinda depends on my holding obviously.

[ QUOTE ]
i would flat call (float) with hands like 88 on the JJ2 board and probably check the turn behind (sometimes bet).

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry to hijack, but I dont like the turn check behind. If youre checking the turn behind, its because you think you are ahead and want to get to showdown, right? Well, I think youre losing value if this is the case. Bet the turn and hope he calls with Ax or whatever, because he isnt calling a river bet or betting himself unless he hits, so the turn check is essentially -EV. I think bet the turn and check the river. Thoughts?

Tickner 04-12-2007 06:19 PM

A, D, C, B, E

vs this player id probably rather just raise the flop though, wouldnt you?

orange 04-12-2007 06:21 PM

casper,
i doubt he c/cs that turn with Ax. and i think that sometimes you can get a bet from villan with his whatever hands, hoping you'll fold precisely your 88. but it depends on image and what you think of each other obviously.

Paul Thomson 04-12-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A, D, C, B, E

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'd rather just call since he doesn't double-barrell.

pyedog 04-12-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A, D, C, B, E

[/ QUOTE ]

Why raise the flop? If he almost never double barrels then we can find out for cheaper that he whiffed if he checks the turn. Then the turn bet becomes less risky than a flop raise unless he likes to C/R a lot of turns to counter floats.

"He raises a large % of his hands, has a 100% continuation bet stat, but almost never double barrells and gives up on the turn a ton."

Paul Thomson 04-12-2007 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A, D, C, B, E

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you like D for floating on. I figure that is one that I might stay away from, since most bad villains don't fold Aces. But this passive player might slow down on the turn.

aislephive 04-12-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A, D, C, B, E

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you like D for floating on. I figure that is one that I might stay away from, since most bad villains don't fold Aces. But this passive player might slow down on the turn. Not sure really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure he won't fold an ace, but he is betting with every hand he has on the flop, which means the vast majority of the time he doesn't have an ace to begin with.

Casper05 04-12-2007 06:31 PM

orange, fair enough...that is exactly what I used to think but somebody (cant remember who) and I exchanged posts and I ended up changing my mind...now I am confused again.

So are you only hoping to get value from a bluff? I guess bet turn vs passives and check it vs TAGs???