Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Getting mini raised on the flop with a vulnerable hand (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=554734)

HoldEmNewby 11-26-2007 12:13 PM

Getting mini raised on the flop with a vulnerable hand

Villain is unknown. Is 3betting this flop the standard line?

Party Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $124.92
BB: $115.42
UTG: $22
Hero (CO): $118.58
BTN: $99.15

Pre-Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4</font>, BTN calls $4, 2 folds

Flop: ($9.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $16</font>, Hero????

Chicago Twister 11-26-2007 12:18 PM

Re: Getting mini raised on the flop with a vulnerable hand

Dont we hate getting pushed on?

RickOSU 11-26-2007 12:25 PM

i don't like a 3 bet, just call an re-evaluate on the turn.

Nick Royale 11-26-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't like a 3 bet, just call an re-evaluate on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

HoldEmNewby 11-26-2007 12:28 PM

I'm OOP and won't most turn cards hurt me as oppose to helping me?

HoldEmNewby 11-26-2007 12:30 PM

those in the checking camp are you auto checking the turn or are you ever taking a stop and go line?

fees 11-26-2007 12:30 PM

i think i make it 38/fold, i dont think hes going to shove often enough and sine hes donkish he can call with all kinds of crap, then id be happy to get it in on the turn

Paul Thomson 11-26-2007 12:31 PM

call and reevaluate. this hand sucks cause it smashes the villain's range and at the same time we're almost certainly good enough of the time to make a call correct.

however, who knows what our reverse implied odds are come the turn and river. There are so many bad cards for us on the turn and river. And we don't know which ones help or hurt villain. This hand would be so much better to continue with if we had position. OOP this is a lot tougher. if he was aggressive and capable of contiuing to bet and bluff the turn and river, i'd just fold the flop. But since the Villain is an unknown, I'm going to hope that he's passive and we'll check behind alot on the turn.

Chicago Twister 11-26-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
those in the checking camp are you auto checking the turn or are you ever taking a stop and go line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, I dont know what camp I'm in. All I know is that the worst thing about 3betting the flop is getting pushed on.

On the other hand the worst thing about flatting the flop is all the bad turn cards.

If we 3bet the flop, do we hope he folds?

pineapple888 11-26-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm OOP and won't most turn cards hurt me as oppose to helping me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they might hurt you, or they might "help" you, Villain doesn't know. He's unlikely to make this move with random overcards, so you aren't that worried about overcards, which you hope will slow him down and let you get to a relatively cheap showdown.

It's a good impulse to "protect" your hand, but the problem is that it's not really good enough to protect here. In a shallower-stack game a push would be fine.