Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The San Diego Fires (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=528503)

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 12:03 PM

The San Diego Fires

I woke this morning to notice that the sky was not the blue sky that I am familiar with in San Diego, but a grayish mass. I was actually surprised to see no thread on this considering the masses of 2+2ers living in SD. Living in Poway I don't think I am at any risk atm, but they say if the winds turn I would have to be evacuated. So far all the universities are closed, And I-15 and I-8 is closed, so I'm left with not much choice to evacuate. I'll be heading up the coast I guess. If you live in the north eastern section of the city, I'd probably pay attention to the news.

I found this google map that shows the fires link

JaBlue 10-22-2007 12:06 PM

Re: The San Diego Fires

campus is closed here at UCSD. We're pretty much trapped in our rooms, the air quality is god-awful. You can see the ash. Nowhere to really go. Now regretting that I didn't make my grocery run yesterday, like planned.

sdlate 10-22-2007 12:09 PM

Most of the north and east sides of the city have been evacuated and the traffic is absolutely a mess. Lots of the exits on the 15 are closed and apparently its just bumper to bumper trying to get south.

IggyWH 10-22-2007 12:10 PM

This is pretty crazy to me. Everyone warned of earthquakes when I moved out here, but it looks like these wildfires are the thing to be worried about. I live pretty close to the coast so I'll be fine but quite sad to see areas I know on TV burning.

I also know there's at least 1 2p2er that lives in Ramona as he has it in his location.

mrTEA 10-22-2007 12:19 PM

its like a snow day but not awesome

hclee 10-22-2007 12:33 PM

Horray for no school. You guys think it'll be canceled again tomorrow?

ElliotR 10-22-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Living in Poway I don't think I am at any risk atm, but they say if the winds turn I would have to be evacuated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd keep a careful eye out as Poway is pretty vulnerable considering where some of the fires are. Here in Encinitas things seem find on the coast but from the ridge you can see at least two fires in the distance to the East/NE. Good luck and keep safe.

punkass 10-22-2007 12:39 PM

Keep safe everyone in the LA/SD area. Looks like fires are everywhere. Hopefully the winds will cooperate.

IggyWH 10-22-2007 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully the winds will cooperate.

[/ QUOTE ]

And sadly, it's not looking good for that. From reports that I hear, they at least got some air relief up and going.

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 12:47 PM

alot of it is now grounded. They want to get military copters in the air but can't. Also NorCal is sending trucks down.

I have 2 choices if to evacuate. I can stay with another grad student in Vista and the 5 looks jammed. Or I can go to a 2+2ers house in Alpine. The trick will be getting there.

Here is a map of some of the evacuation area. As you can see its fairly large, and I have family just north of the 56. and I am just south of it

http://images.ibsys.com/2007/1022/14393329_640X480.jpg

IggyWH 10-22-2007 12:57 PM

SignOnSanDiego says the 15 is reopened in both directions if that helps at all.

XXXNoahXXX 10-22-2007 01:08 PM

I just read about the [censored] morons that are tying up firefighting efforts because they refuse to evacuate when told and then have to be rescued. Let them burn.

Sponger. 10-22-2007 01:14 PM

http://images.ibsys.com/2007/1022/14393329_640X480.jpg

The orange area is where I grew up

Sponger. 10-22-2007 01:25 PM

Although seriously for a fire that has barely made it past the 15 to evacuate that large of an area seems pretty premature.

CrazyEyez 10-22-2007 01:25 PM

Yikes - be safe, all.

I grew up in Poway/RB. Last month I was staying just off 56 and 15 for vacation and visiting my grandma who lives at 15 and Mira Mesa Blvd. Better check up on her.

I lived there from '76-'93. Fires happened, but they were nowhere near as frequent as they seem to be the last 5-10 years. Rain ftw.

XXXNoahXXX 10-22-2007 01:32 PM

CrazyEyez,

That's because the world is going mad.

It's 80 degrees and super sunny in Boston right now.

IggyWH 10-22-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although seriously for a fire that has barely made it past the 15 to evacuate that large of an area seems pretty premature.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were evacuating parts of Ramona when I went to bed last night at like 1AM. When I got up at 8AM, it was hitting RB, so it's moving damn fast. I think it's more a precaution than anything and shows you just how little control they have on the thing.

benza13 10-22-2007 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CrazyEyez,

That's because the world is going mad.

It's 80 degrees and super sunny in Boston right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

We got 8 inches of snow in CO on Saturday night.

This is pretty normal though.

Sponger. 10-22-2007 01:37 PM

Yeah I guess I'm just pissed that my moms house has to be evacuated even though she lives within a few blocks of the southwest corner. She is stuck in traffic going west on the 56 to get to her house right now and says that everyone's cars are completely filled and people and their stuff.

XXXNoahXXX 10-22-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I guess I'm just pissed that my moms has to be evacuated even though she lives within a few blocks of the southwest corner. She is stuck in traffic going west on the 56 right now and says that everyone's cars are completely filled and people and their stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

These things are so unpredictable, its better she get out now than stick it out, wind changes, she becomes in danger and then she has to do this all again later and putting herself and others in danger.

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SignOnSanDiego says the 15 is reopened in both directions if that helps at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. Also, they said that the fire will most likely burn to the coast.

Ikaika 10-22-2007 01:49 PM

I live in Torrey Hills just south of the 5-56 interchange, its smokey as hell here. When I went to get in my car to go to work today, the air conditioning blew ash all over the inside of my car.

Looks like the wind is calming down a bit though. Hope they're able to get the choppers up.

Melchy where do you live?

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 01:53 PM

near the corner of Poway and Pomerado road. It's the 'ghetto' of Poway, although not really ghetto. I am a grad student at CSUSM, and they have evacuated that campus. According to the city of poway I should stay indoors and turn on my AC. I like to run, but yesterday when I tried I got to about half a mile before I felt dead. My normal run was 2 miles. I didn't think the smoke was that bad until I started running.

tuq 10-22-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These things are so unpredictable, its better she get out now than stick it out, wind changes, she becomes in danger and then she has to do this all again later and putting herself and others in danger.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder where the hell all those people are going to go. I mean I get that they probably had to leave but are they all gonna hang out at Starbucks in La Jolla? Weird thing, evacuations. I've never been a part of one.

Also, that evacuation zone kinda surprises me because of how far into town it is. I could see stuff to the east of the 15 being close to the hills but wow, that's right in the middle of a heavily populated area.

Ikaika 10-22-2007 01:57 PM

yeah its pretty bad. I don't have my damned tv(<3 backorders) so I'm streaming radio on my computer.

Sponger. 10-22-2007 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean I get that they probably had to leave but are they all gonna hang out at Starbucks in La Jolla? Weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to go to Bruegger's Bagels this morning in La Jolla after checking the waves, and they share a parking lot with Starbucks, it was completely full so I went home because there is no street parking either. So if anyone is reading this and is thinking about evacuating to the Starbucks on the corner of Pearl and Fay I would advise against that.

IggyWH 10-22-2007 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder where the hell all those people are going to go. I mean I get that they probably had to leave but are they all gonna hang out at Starbucks in La Jolla? Weird thing, evacuations. I've never been a part of one.

Also, that evacuation zone kinda surprises me because of how far into town it is. I could see stuff to the east of the 15 being close to the hills but wow, that's right in the middle of a heavily populated area.

[/ QUOTE ]

They got Qualcomm open and just had some overhead shots of it. Looked like 1000 people or so.

CrazyEyez 10-22-2007 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No kidding. I imagine 5 and 15 are a disaster right now. Where the hell do you go? Head for Pechanga I guess.

mmbt0ne 10-22-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
near the corner of Poway and Pomerado road. It's the 'ghetto' of Poway, although not really ghetto.

[/ QUOTE ]

But good sushi within walking distance and a dentist who drives a Ferrari!

btw, glad to be not moving to SD right now.

By-Tor 10-22-2007 02:05 PM

crossing my fingers that doGer stadium goes up in flames...

everything south...yeah, be safe, blah blah blah

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Many schools are being used as evac centers. Also Qualcomm Stadium is being used as an evacuation center. I believe the last number I heard was 110,000 being evacuated.

private joker 10-22-2007 02:08 PM

Every time this happens around here, I get this song stuck in my head for a week.

Ikaika 10-22-2007 02:08 PM

Rancho Santa Fe and Leucadia now to evac.

CrazyEyez 10-22-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the last number I heard was 110,000 being evacuated.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just read 250k. Stop the insanity.

IggyWH 10-22-2007 02:11 PM

I can just imagine how bad it would suck to evacuate and have nowhere to go but a shelter. From what I see though, shelters here are nothing like shelters you saw for Katrina or even back in Pennsylvania when [censored] would go down.

I had an interview today in La Jolla and I felt like a dick calling them up to make sure it was cancelled.

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 02:13 PM

These fires are also going to lead to landslides btw. So we will be feeling the after effects for a while

dknightx 10-22-2007 02:13 PM

my GF's parents live in the evac zone (in the picture). how crazy is it down there right now? Should i call them or just email them?

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 02:15 PM

they say that the cell networks are overloaded right now, and that many emergency personnel are trying to use them for emergency purposes. If they were ordered to evac, then the city would have called thier home phone. So don't call immediately. I hear right now the winds are topping at 50-60 mph gusts

tuq 10-22-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to go to Bruegger's Bagels this morning in La Jolla after checking the waves

[/ QUOTE ]
One of the articles I read said in Malibu guys were surfing and officials were trying to get them out of the water but the wind was causing some huge waves and they refused to come out, heh. Besides, they're in the water so it's not like they'll catch fire. Water only burns in Cleveland.

tuq 10-22-2007 02:18 PM

Re: refusing to evacuate. I guess it is draining resources so that's a bad thing but if you were that hell-bent on staying at home couldn't you just like not answer the door? Or say "yeah, I'm leaving, let me get my stuff" and as soon as the officials leave be like SIKE! I'm not going anywhere. What is the process for evacuation, literally door to door and making sure everyone actually leaves?