Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   johnny chan's limit hold em book (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=532428)

SNOWBALL 10-27-2007 06:29 AM

johnny chan\'s limit hold em book

Is he a skilled limit hold em player?
Is the book good?
Is it ghost written or co-written?

1p0kerboy 10-27-2007 07:27 AM

Re: johnny chan\'s limit hold em book

I heard it was a pretty good book, so I thumbed through it at Barnes & Noble yesterday.

It looked great.

It's mostly a series of examples with explanations that follow. But what I really liked was the fact that it addressed mostly heads-up (postflop) situations against tough opponents.

I'll probably be getting this book in the next couple of weeks.

dirty banana2007 10-27-2007 08:42 AM

Really? everything i have heard about this book was pretty negative...

Doc T River 10-27-2007 11:34 AM

Isn't he supposed to be coming out with a follow up on No Limit?

Niediam 10-27-2007 12:52 PM

It's marginal. Probably worth reading but not worth studying over and over like a 2+2 book.

Doc T River 10-27-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's marginal. Probably worth reading but not worth studying over and over like a 2+2 book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm?

Niediam 10-27-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all.

Adman 10-28-2007 06:53 AM

The book is junk. The only people who could possibly claim it's any good are die hard Johnny Chan fans. Don't waste your time.

BlueBear 10-28-2007 11:33 AM

Rubbish, and anybody who frequents and actively participates ANY 2+2 strategy forum at a regular basis probably won't pick up anything useful from this book IMO.

chicagoY 10-28-2007 12:43 PM

i thought it was really weak

dave88 10-28-2007 10:08 PM

"Million Dollar Hold' Em - Limit Cash Games" Is not a bad book, but don't expect any deep insight either. It consists of almost entirely hand examples, how he would play them, his thinking etc. I found it a good bathroom book, reading a hand or two on the can. It has a nice layout, and covers a lot of concepts through hand examples.

MicroBob 10-28-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard it was a pretty good book, so I thumbed through it at Barnes & Noble yesterday.

It looked great.

It's mostly a series of examples with explanations that follow. But what I really liked was the fact that it addressed mostly heads-up (postflop) situations against tough opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

1pokerboy - I have no idea who told you that but they are wrong imo.
It's not a horrible book in that it's not going to do much harm to your game or anything like that. But I think it's really beginnerish.

Gonso 10-29-2007 03:39 AM

Well Johnny Chan coached Jamie Gold

pow

Adman 10-29-2007 07:58 AM

You raise an early limper and only the big blind and the limper call your raise. The flop comes down and both players check to you, you bet. The big blind folds but the limper calls. The turn is dealt and the limper checks to you again, you remain aggressive and bet again. The limper folds and you win the pot.

Brilliant. Thanks Johnny Chan, I never would have worked that out without your book.

leprous_hand 10-29-2007 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

pow

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't get enough of the pow! extremely nice use of pow

jeffnc 10-29-2007 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

pow

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't get enough of the pow! extremely nice use of pow

[/ QUOTE ]

Pearl of wisdom? Or please educate.

jeffnc 10-29-2007 01:39 PM

Kinda weak book. Kinda like adman said. A lot of congratulating you for being aggressive and winning pots with A8s. Raise preflop, see the pot with 2 opponents. Bet turn and lose 1 opponent. Bet river and lose the second, congratulations.

1p0kerboy 10-29-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It looked great.

[/ QUOTE ]

1pokerboy - I have no idea who told you that but they are wrong imo.
It's not a horrible book in that it's not going to do much harm to your game or anything like that. But I think it's really beginnerish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I read it on here. I'll definitely take your word for it and skip it.

I'm reading Stox's book right now and it definitely falls into the "best poker book" category. When I'm done I'll probably read it again.

Have you heard anything about Barry T's new advanced book?

daveT 10-29-2007 05:25 PM

He's supposed to be a great NL player, but from what I heard from those that played him, he is a terrible Limit player.

Review of his play: "He only knows 'I'm all in.'" Maybe a little harsh, but I got the point.

"pearl of wisdom"

Aceshigh7 10-29-2007 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's supposed to be a great NL player, but from what I heard from those that played him, he is a terrible Limit player.

Review of his play: "He only knows 'I'm all in.'" Maybe a little harsh, but I got the point.

"pearl of wisdom"

[/ QUOTE ]

From barrygreenstein.com..

[ QUOTE ]
He used to be very weak at limit poker, but he improved his limit game significantly in the late ‘90’s and early 00’s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adman 10-30-2007 07:18 PM

I read here that Chan is a total fish when it comes to high stakes cash games, specifically the "big game" at the Bellagio. Apparently other pros cannot wait to jump into the game when Chan is sitting. Judging by some of the crappy plays he recommends making in his book (just cold calling with hands like aces in multiway pots as one example) I'm not surprised. The article also mentions that Hellmuth and Hansen are regular donaters in this game and that Sammy Farha is a complete a-hole and a tight-wad.
http://zbasic.com/2006/08/tuesday-au...ke-mc-who.html