Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Brad Lidge - rut roh (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=97234)

Clarkmeister 04-25-2006 11:17 PM

Brad Lidge - rut roh

Not a great start given how dominant he's been in recent years. Nomar last night and blew another one tonight. His last 5 games have not been up to par at all and his season ERA is basically 7 now.

One has to wonder how much last year's postseason is affecting him. Between the horrific World Series and Pujols' moon shot it's not out of the realm that he could be damaged goods.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...bertgroup2.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...er/albert2.jpg

prohornblower 04-25-2006 11:28 PM

Re: Brad Lidge - rut roh

No.

There is one thing that he is not doing that he needs to be doing. It has nothing to do with "giving up a moon shot to Pujols". Everybody and their grandma has let that happen.

He needs to THROW HIS 96-98mph FASTBALL INSIDE!

It just hit me that he NEVER brushes anyone off the plate. Once he starts doing this the hitters will not be leaning over to waste his nasty slider, allowing them to sit on his fastball.

Besides, if he's going to walk 3 people every appearance, why not drill one of them in the chest? Sends a message...saves 3 pitches... ???

PITCH INSIDE LIDGE! PITCH INSIDE!!! PLEASE!!! I'm sick of defending you on internet forums!!! I know you're a nice guy and all, but it's OK to give chin music and even hit a guy now and then. Hell, wait for a 2 or 3 run lead before you drill someone...just DO IT. Get the signal out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

joe c 04-25-2006 11:32 PM

Walks in 2005 - 23 total
so far in 2006 - 10

looks like he'll get off the hook tonite, Little is attempting to lose this game. 3 pitch outs in a row? nice call grady. led to a walk, big surprise...

MinRaise 04-25-2006 11:39 PM

I thought I had the best closers in the league with Lidge, Nathan, and F. Cordero. Lidge and Cordero are getting lit up (and absolutely killing me) and Nathan never gets a chance. Who knew David Weathers would be my most steady closer option after I drafted those three?

technologic 04-25-2006 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I had the best closers in the league with Lidge, Nathan, and F. Cordero. Lidge and Cordero are getting lit up (and absolutely killing me) and Nathan never gets a chance. Who knew David Weathers would be my most steady closer option after I drafted those three?

[/ QUOTE ]

best?!?!? wtf.

tdarko 04-25-2006 11:57 PM

prohorn,

This is good work. Well done.

Hack 04-26-2006 12:00 AM

He and Isringhausen are both uber crappy this year.

andyfox 04-26-2006 12:02 AM

Yeah, note that Kent was able to lean out over the plate, 0-2, and hit the semi-hanging slider deep enough to right to drive in the tying run tonight. Maybe if he's thinking about a high hard one there he's not quite out over the plate with such alacrity.

On another note, watching the Dodgers/Astros game, these could be the two worst managers in the history of baseball, major league or otherwise.

ColdCaller 04-26-2006 12:04 AM

Definitely. If the pitcher fears the batter, he cannot be successful.

RacersEdge 04-26-2006 01:16 AM

Yeah, this has some shades of Wohlers/Leyritz, but Wohlers was pretty solid the following year - then he fell apart - if I remember right.

Aceshigh7 04-26-2006 02:02 AM

Man, Im really pulling for Lidge to work his way out of this funk. I think the guy is awesome and I absolutely hate what is happening right now.

Im confident that he will sort things out and we will see Lights Out Lidge again.

technologic 04-26-2006 03:31 AM

it's what he gets for the blasphemy declaring he was the best closer in baseball

ColdCaller 04-26-2006 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's what he gets for the blasphemy declaring he was the best closer in baseball

[/ QUOTE ]

He was close. He's the best closer in the NL, at least.

Sunny Mehta 04-26-2006 10:30 AM

from what I've heard, he also has zero command of his slider right now.....he's bouncing it all over the place which is messing with his confidence, his walk totals, his baserunners (who can run all over him), and his fastball/location/etc....

Clarkmeister 04-26-2006 10:41 AM

He certainly was the best closer in the NL last year once Gagne went down.

junglewarfare 04-26-2006 11:07 AM

The pic is just so badass. It's on my short list of great ones.

wh1t3bread 04-26-2006 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Wagner has a case.

RacersEdge 04-26-2006 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The pic is just so badass. It's on my short list of great ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did Pujols hit the first pitch? I don't think it was a long at-bat.

Hack 04-26-2006 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Billy Wagner says hi. More innings pitched and less walks, along with far fewer hits. He didn't K as many but he does't need to.
Wagner > Lidge, for his career and for last year.

RunDownHouse 04-26-2006 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He and Isringhausen are both uber crappy this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Izzy blows one... and Pujols (along with Eckstein, good game for him today) puts the team on his back again. Go Cards go!

MyTurn2Raise 04-26-2006 03:52 PM

I think many of us called it then....that moon shot blew apart his confidence. If he can ever regain that is a big question. He has the skills, but it's about much more.

I still think he broke his neck with how quick his head turned around after Albert's blast.

Uston 04-26-2006 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think many of us called it then....that moon shot blew apart his confidence. If he can ever regain that is a big question. He has the skills, but it's about much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure there's any merit in this. Donnie Moore was phenomenal in 1987. Dennis Eckersley was phenomenal in 1989. Byung-Hyun Kim was phenomenal in 2002. Any other relatively recent backbreaking HR's allowed by relievers that I'm forgetting about?

HajiShirazu 04-26-2006 04:57 PM

They're actually gazing at a huge pile of undetectable alligator steroids in the left field upper deck.

LionelHutz00 04-26-2006 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure there's any merit in this. Donnie Moore was phenomenal in 1987. Dennis Eckersley was phenomenal in 1989. Byung-Hyun Kim was phenomenal in 2002. Any other relatively recent backbreaking HR's allowed by relievers that I'm forgetting about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mitch Williams

Uston 04-26-2006 05:05 PM

Mitch Williams is a really counter-argument. While he wasn't great in 1992 or 1993, he totally fell off a cliff in 1994. He could have just been really sad about the labor stoppage, though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hack 04-26-2006 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mitch Williams

[/ QUOTE ]

Mitch was great

"You can't hit him, but he might hit you."

Hahahaha. One season I remember he had more walks than innings pitched.

ColdCaller 04-26-2006 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Billy Wagner says hi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oblique strains say hi.

ColdCaller 04-26-2006 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[Not sure there's any merit in this. Donnie Moore was phenomenal in 1987. Dennis Eckersley was phenomenal in 1989. Byung-Hyun Kim was phenomenal in 2002. Any other relatively recent backbreaking HR's allowed by relievers that I'm forgetting about?

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't a reliever, but this was a literal career-ending HR: Rick Ankiel.

Hack 04-26-2006 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Billy Wagner says hi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oblique strains say hi.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? He had better numbers than Lidge in almost every category last year, and has a better a track record as well.

Aceshigh7 04-26-2006 05:56 PM

I'd rather have Lidge than Wagner.

Lidge is younger, and more talented.

Riveria, Wagner, Eckersley.. They have all gone through periods like this.

Brad Ausmus said it best when he said "There are 29 other teams in the league that would love to have Brad Lidge. Luckily, we're the ones that have him."

Aceshigh7 04-26-2006 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I don't recall him saying that and I actually highly doubt he would.

There were some in the media that called him that, and based on the incredible way that he was dominating, it was completely justified.

ColdCaller 04-26-2006 06:28 PM

Wagner is a severe injury risk with a huge propensity to collapse. I'm not taking a kid who is under six feet tall and throws 100 mph. As cool as it is to watch him shatter bats and scare the [censored] out of hitters, that is not sustainable.

Hack 04-26-2006 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wagner is a severe injury risk with a huge propensity to collapse. I'm not taking a kid who is under six feet tall and throws 100 mph. As cool as it is to watch him shatter bats and scare the [censored] out of hitters, that is not sustainable.

[/ QUOTE ]

not saying itis at all. all i'm saying is that he was a better pitcher last year and for his career, injury risks aside.

Aceshigh7 04-26-2006 07:18 PM

Your boy Wagner blew 9 saves (including 5 in a row) in 2000.

Not to mention his propensity to blow the most crucial of games.

Lidge has been more successful thus far than Wagner was when he was at this stage of his career.

Hack 04-26-2006 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your boy Wagner blew 9 saves (including 5 in a row) in 2000.

Not to mention his propensity to blow the most crucial of games.

Lidge has been more successful thus far than Wagner was when he was at this stage of his career.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wagner is not my boy. I'm not even a Phillies/Mets fan. And what about Lidge in the big games last year? He gave up runs in two World Series games.

As for the Astros, I never saw a weaker display of baseball in my life. Only proves how weak the NL as a whole is I guess, with two consecutive AL sweeps.

Aceshigh7 04-26-2006 07:55 PM

One more thing.

2006 thus far..

Lidge - 2 blown saves in 9 opportunities.

Wagner - 2 blown saves in 7 opportunities.

Hack 04-26-2006 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing.

2006 thus far..

Lidge - 2 blown saves in 9 opportunities.

Wagner - 2 blown saves in 7 opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sample size, not to mention that all 3 of the runs that Wagner allowed today were unearned.

And Wagner has a ERA of 0.82 while Lidge's is barely under 7. Your arguments are awful.

Your argument, again, is stupid, and you can't argue that Lidge is better than Wagner this year.

Aceshigh7 04-26-2006 08:06 PM

ERA is not as important for a reliever as for a starter. ERA's can be inflated by just a couple of bad outings.

If you think that ERA is so important, I guess you would have to agree that Clemens deserved the Cy Young more than Carpenter did last year no?

The only thing that matters is that Lidge has gotten the job done 7 out of 9 times. Wagner has gotten the job done 5 out of 7.

Hack 04-26-2006 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ERA is not as important for a reliever as for a starter. ERA's can be inflated by just a couple of bad outings.

If you think that ERA is so important, I guess you would have to agree that Clemens deserved the Cy Young more than Carpenter did last year no?

The only thing that matters is that Lidge has gotten the job done 7 out of 9 times. Wagner has gotten the job done 5 out of 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the only thing that matters, you nit. Haven't you ever heard of sample size. Wagner has a WHIP of .90. Lidge's is 1.80. Lidge has allowed twice the number of baserunners as Wagner has this year, and it's through sheer luck that he hasn't blown more saves. It's also important to point out that Wagner has been used in more one-run lead situations than Lidge this year.

You lose.

JOA, sic this guy.

Stat Boy 04-26-2006 08:12 PM

these guys have pitched in games other than save situations. Lidge gave up a bomb in the top of the 10th against washington and didn't get a loss cause his team bailed him out in the bottom of the inning.